• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

I need a new computer, my macbookpro is shitting the bed. I like the All-in-one PCs, they are pretty nice.

My battery is slowly going in my MacBook (white unibody) and I'm not sure if I should replace it (myself, not through apple) or buy a new computer. If I was to buy something new, it'd probably be HP's Chromebook. Good price, good features and I don't need a powerful computer, really. I don't run many programs outside of Word and Excel (can use Docs for that).

The guy was really realistic with me, and after he tried telling me Apple could do it for $129 and I told him I could do it myself. He tried to tell me the battery is integrated except I've already taken the laptop apart to replace the trackpad. He just said make sure the battery has a good rating online. My MacBook has served me for a good 3 and a half years so far, but the shell is starting to crack from stress fractures.

My battery is slowly going in my MacBook (white unibody) and I'm not sure if I should replace it (myself, not through apple) or buy a new computer. If I was to buy something new, it'd probably be HP's Chromebook. Good price, good features and I don't need a powerful computer, really. I don't run many programs outside of Word and Excel (can use Docs for that).

The guy was really realistic with me, and after he tried telling me Apple could do it for $129 and I told him I could do it myself. He tried to tell me the battery is integrated except I've already taken the laptop apart to replace the trackpad. He just said make sure the battery has a good rating online. My MacBook has served me for a good 3 and a half years so far, but the shell is starting to crack from stress fractures.

damn 3 years. I've had mine for like 5 years. Mine is just getting really slow boots (might just put it on sleep from now on) and just slow searching and stuff. I don't know if I should go with a laptop (chromebook can run Calibre?, that would be a huge decision for me then), or get a desktop. Once school is over (which is soon), I can see myself never using a laptop again.

I just replaced my 5.5 year old Macbook (white plastic) last month with a Macbook Air. My Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM wasn't cutting it anymore. It struggled to play YouTube videos and the battery was about a half hour before it had to be plugged in. It lasted me through college and then some, but it reached the end of the line.

damn 3 years. I've had mine for like 5 years. Mine is just getting really slow boots (might just put it on sleep from now on) and just slow searching and stuff. I don't know if I should go with a laptop (chromebook can run Calibre?, that would be a huge decision for me then), or get a desktop. Once school is over (which is soon), I can see myself never using a laptop again.

Buy an external hard drive, do a time machine backup. Nuke the computer hard drive and reinstall OS. Very simple and it could buy you two more years.

• Like 1

Chromebook can not run Calibre, just looked it up. My computer is fine, processes are still quick and boot times aren't bad. I've never really run a program too complex on here, sans one or two games but they were smaller ones. Only reason I wanna replace is because of battery issues, but I could buy a new battery and have this baby run for another couple years no problem.

Chromebook can not run Calibre, just looked it up. My computer is fine, processes are still quick and boot times aren't bad. I've never really run a program too complex on here, sans one or two games but they were smaller ones. Only reason I wanna replace is because of battery issues, but I could buy a new battery and have this baby run for another couple years no problem.

I hear you. Battery is not my main concern because I basically use my laptop as my desktop now lol. Not even sure why I got my laptop for school being it was too heavy to carry there and I felt more efficient with pen and paper.

Same thing I told Mike could apply to you. A fresh image will do wonders.

That has to do with formatting. I believe any drive can be formatted to work on both.

This needs to be done on the Mac side with Disk Utility, the HD needs to be partitioned. If the OS is too old, it can't be done, AFAIK.

You can write in so that it reads on both without partioning. I believe FAT 32 and Journaled works.

Correct, but if you are FAT32 formatted, you are limited to 4GB for file transfers. Nothing over 4GB will transfer without an error. It will read on both Mac/PC, but that's the only drawback to not having it OSX Journaled.