• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Ok I've been to work for 5 minutes and the only solution to get through this week seems to be booze.

People who are sick, but are too proud to stay at home and instead come to work to infect others :middle finger: :sheepsarse: :shoveltoface:

I car pool to work and a colleague of mine wrote me yesterday that he's been sick the whole weekend and I shouldn't pick him up. Then this morning - 5 mins before I wanted to drive - he called me and said he'll come to work. So now he was coughing and sneezing in the car the whole time and making the dumbest jokes like "good workers are sick during the weekend, you know what I mean. Haha haha."

Ok I've been to work for 5 minutes and the only solution to get through this week seems to be booze.

People who are sick, but are too proud to stay at home and instead come to work to infect others :middle finger: :sheepsarse: :shoveltoface:

I car pool to work and a colleague of mine wrote me yesterday that he's been sick the whole weekend and I shouldn't pick him up. Then this morning - 5 mins before I wanted to drive - he called me and said he'll come to work. So now he was coughing and sneezing in the car the whole time and making the dumbest jokes like "good workers are sick during the weekend, you know what I mean. Haha haha."

That's such a major pet peeve of mine. Trust me, whatever you do, your work is not that important. Take a couple days and rest up.

Calling in sick: Another salaried advantage.

Advantage? No. Perk, yes. But really, you can't even compare what union labor pulls in with OT comparable to salary for the "average" person. I don't know why you try to do it. In NYC, your "average" office worker bee is getting $50k a year. Your "average" laborer (read: ZERO SKILLS) is probably getting between $80 and $90k after OT.

So why work in an office as a low level employee with minimal responsibility making peanuts when you can go be a construction labourer? Especially in a place like NYC that has a fantastic climate for being outside?
Those jobs and work aren't easy to get, because — unions are corrupt as shit.

This really isn't a union thing either, for the umpteenth time, I'm not a union member in any way, shape or form.

Fine, whatever!

No good paying job is easy to get! Unless you're willing to travel to remote areas of human existence.

No, not what I meant. You can get into the union. Pay for the union manual and you're in. Getting the actual work is hard, getting onto the job.

That's kind of silly to say "Just go be a laborer".

If you're goal since leaving HS was to be a unionized construction labourer I think it you could accomplish it. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Right, but I'm not seeing what your point is, or what that has to do with the conversation...

Tell that to the bosses who think otherwise.

I guess it depends on what you do, but I'm speaking in generalities. Your standard office worker bee doesn't have a work load so great or dire that they should be coming in sick, IMO.

I guess it depends on what you do, but I'm speaking in generalities. Your standard office worker bee doesn't have a work load so great or dire that they should be coming in sick, IMO.

I totally agree but their managers still want them to come into the office no matter how much they say "Oh your sick, you should have stayed home". I always hear co-workers talk about, "oh he/she called out sick when its 0 degrees, im calling bullshit", "Whoever calls out sick on a Monday/Friday just do it for a long weekend". I know when (very rarely) I call out sick that its going through my mind what my bosses are thinking whether they believe me or not.

Why go to college and go in debt if you can make 90k a year by skipping college and entering the labour force?

I'm not sure.

But the original point is that middling hourly workers who get paid OT usually take home more than middling salaried workers.