• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

2 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

it’s a fracture finger.  The dude is the one with the concussion 

I mean fuck Guentzel anyway we didn't want his sorry ass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39676844/hurricanes-activate-frederik-andersen-injured-reserve

A one way deal just means the player gets paid his NHL salary even if he's sent down. Unlike a two-way where a player that gets sent down gets paid significantly less.

OK, yeah.   And I think if they are over 35 or something they count against the cap if sent down. There's definitely certain players that count against the cap no matter what. 

• VINNY! 1

In exchange, the Penguins will receive winger Michael Bunting, prospects Ville Koivunen, Vasily Ponomarev and Cruz Lucius, and two conditional draft picks — including a potential first-rounder — in the 2024 NHL Draft

No thx

Posted (edited)

From what I’m reading, a similar deal may have been something along the lines of Kakko, Sykora, Berard, Robertson and the 2 Conditional Picks for Guentzel. More quantity than “quality” even though those are still good prospects. I don’t think the prospects given up by Carolina are on par with what Othmann or Perrault could *potentially* be. But again, the answer on that won’t come for a little bit.

Thats a lot for someone who may only be here for a few months. That would be a big NYR package.

Edited by RichieNextel305

12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Happy this didn't happen. Not worth the price. Make it Buch or Vatrano please to give us two years of consistency in the top 6. Please. Please.

I agree with this 100%  assuming you can seperate my disappointment that he's in Carolina. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Rangers dodged a bullet. 

Dubas is a shit manager too. Total clown. 

Agreed.

Price Carolina played is very high for a rental and they had to pull a piece of at least fair significance off their roster to do it.

Rangers can’t do that. And I’m glad they didn’t. 

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Agreed.

Price Carolina played is very high for a rental and they had to pull a piece of at least fair significance off their roster to do it.

Rangers can’t do that. And I’m glad they didn’t. 

The 'Canes dumped their prospects who can't skate well.  It's like perfect consolidation for them.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

From what I’m reading, a similar deal may have been something along the lines of Kakko, Sykora, Berard, Robertson and the 2 Conditional Picks for Guentzel. More quantity than “quality” even though those are still good prospects. I don’t think the prospects given up by Carolina are on par with what Othmann or Perrault could *potentially* be. But again, the answer on that won’t come for a little bit.

Thats a lot for someone who may only be here for a few months. That would be a big NYR package.

People keep saying this, because they're equating Bunting with Kakko. Bunting will be 29 when next season starts. They are not the same value. 

Giving away Kakko for a rental would be even more absurd. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Br4d said:

The 'Canes dumped their prospects who can't skate well.  It's like perfect consolidation for them.

Oh I don’t think the Pens got a great return for him either.

I think Carolina won the trade. But it’s a bit of a head scratcher here for me.

It’s a lot of pieces going the other way. Plus a roster piece. 
Just a lot for a rental. And no great return for Pitt. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Oh I don’t think the Pens got a great return for him either.

I think Carolina won the trade. But it’s a bit of a head scratcher here for me.

It’s a lot of pieces going the other way. Plus a roster piece. 
Just a lot for a rental. And no great return for Pitt. 

I think at the end of the day Pittsburgh took what they can get because they know they're going to resign Guentzel. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Pete said:

People keep saying this, because they're equating Bunting with Kakko. Bunting will be 29 when next season starts. They are not the same value. 

Giving away Kakko for a rental would be even more absurd. 

And you know what? Given what I just read, the prospects I listed on our side would have likely been more highly rated than what Carolina gave up too.

I read that one was their No. 7 ranked and another was No. 10 while the other one wasn’t even listed.

I kind of think Dubas, at least initially, got fleeced here. 3 prospects, none of which are one of Carolinas Top-5, and not even a 1st Rounder if Carolina doesn’t win the East?

On the surface, that is rough.

I also don’t think Guentzel is going back there. That team is a dumpster fire. They badly need to restock. They aren’t going anywhere in the short term. Guentzel is going to be 30. I think he’s going to go somewhere he can win. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him re-sign with Carolina if they have a good run together over the next few months.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And you know what? Given what I just read, the prospects I listed on our side would have likely been more highly rated than what Carolina gave up too.

I read that one was their No. 7 ranked and another was No. 10 while the other one wasn’t even listed.

I kind of think Dubas, at least initially, got fleeced here. 3 prospects, none of which are one of Carolinas Top-5, and not even a 1st Rounder if Carolina doesn’t win the East?

I guess it turned into quantity over quality.

Its obvious Dubas tried to milk as much out of Drury and Drury was having none of it.  

Now lets see what Drury can do to counter the Carolina trade.  

There's no need to make another move.  All the pieces the Rangers need are already on the roster.  Just need to motivate them to do the things that need to be done.

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I also don’t think Guentzel is going back there. That team is a dumpster fire. They badly need to restock. They aren’t going anywhere in the short term. Guentzel is going to be 30. I think he’s going to go somewhere he can win. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him re-sign with Carolina if they have a good run together over the next few months.

I don't see how they can afford him unless they let a lot of people go. 

He's going to get 9 to 10 million on the open market IMO. Goals are hard to come by and his reputation says he's a lock for at least 30 every season. 

Just now, Br4d said:

There's no need to make another move.  All the pieces the Rangers need are already on the roster.  Just need to motivate them to do the things that need to be done.

I'd agree if they brought up Othmann to try out RW on the first line.

If Zib starts scoring at 5v5 everything is good.  That's 2 scoring lines and 2 lines that are hard to play against which is all you need in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't see how they can afford him unless they let a lot of people go. 

He's going to get 9 to 10 million on the open market IMO. Goals are hard to come by and his reputation says he's a lock for at least 30 every season. 

I believe Teravainen is a UFA after the season, so that would free $5.4M they can allocate his way. Plus I’m sure other moves can be made and money can be arranged to keep him. From what I read, Carolina was interested in talking extension but we’re never granted a window to negotiate one.

But regardless, even if they don’t and they don’t get out of the East, they rented him and retain their Top-6 prospects and 1st Rounder this year.

Not a bad piece of business by them.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I believe Teravainen is a UFA after the season, so that would free $5.4M they can allocate his way. Plus I’m sure other moves can be made and money can be arranged to keep him. From what I read, Carolina was interested in talking extension but we’re never granted a window to negotiate one.

But regardless, even if they don’t and they don’t get out of the East, they rented him and retain their Top-6 prospects and 1st Rounder this year.

Not a bad piece of business by them.

Dubas sucks. He did a brutal job in Toronto and I'm flabbergasted that he got another chance to fuck up another team.