• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chytil Suffers Another Concussion; Placed on LTIR

Phil

7 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Trading Miller makes you have to play Jones & Schneider together which I think we've all seen enough of.

The trade chip is Chytil if and when he ever gets back.

How much value could Chytil possibly have? He’s damaged goods. GM’s in this league wouldn’t be offering much of anything for him. Even on a flier.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Has it been suggested yet to move Miller to RW?  I mean, he's not the greatest defensively. He's all offense.  Other D men have gone back and forth over the years. Is it too soon to mess with him? 

That speed and offensive talent on the wing with that big frame. Slots Gustafsson up. Puts Jones in the lineup which I'm sure makes some people sick lol. 

This is a really interesting thought. I'd try it for 10 games and see how it works out. Kid likes to shoot and has the speed to break in. Give Lavi a call!

10 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I've long thought Miller should be a forward.  Not sure why he was moved from forward to 

D in the first place.

Maybe his HS coach wanted to see if he could dominate all over the ice?  He was probably a giant even back then.

31 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

You're right. It's an option they 99.9% won't use but it's there if they chose to for the right deal.

I don’t completely disagree.

But… if you’re making a trade like that… i.e. trading a significant player off the roster for an upgrade elsewhere on the roster, the proverbial “Hockey Trade”, you aren’t doing it in season or at the deadline.

You’re almost certainly making that trade in the offseason. 

That’s a move of major significance. You don’t screw around with that in season. Especially when you have a team that’s got Cup aspirations and is playing this well.

That’s dangerous stuff to be playing with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t completely disagree.

But… if you’re making a trade like that… i.e. trading a significant player off the roster for an upgrade elsewhere on the roster, the proverbial “Hockey Trade”, you aren’t doing it in season or at the deadline.

You’re almost certainly making that trade in the offseason. 

That’s a move of major significance. You don’t screw around with that in season. Especially when you have a team that’s got Cup aspirations and is playing this well.

That’s dangerous stuff to be playing with.

This team's window is this year and next.  An in-season trade of major significance is a real possibility.  They've got fresh eyes on the team on the ice and Laviolette probably has a pretty good idea of what he needs to get this team over the top.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This team's window is this year and next.  An in-season trade of major significance is a real possibility.  They've got fresh eyes on the team on the ice and Laviolette probably has a pretty good idea of what he needs to get this team over the top.

In a flat cap world, you’re limiting options

You wait till summer.

Cap goes up.

More teams potentially involved.

Greater options.

More likely to get the players you want.

Better to wait till summer. 

42 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

In a flat cap world, you’re limiting options

You wait till summer.

Cap goes up.

More teams potentially involved.

Greater options.

More likely to get the players you want.

Better to wait till summer. 

18-5-1.  A summer trade does nothing to help this team right now and despite the record we have big needs at this point.

A rental doesn't help next year's team.  The Rangers would be wise to look at the overall situation now and see if there is a big fix trade available.

Two seasons ago we were 14-3-3 and we waited until near the deadline to make the first deal and at the deadline we made the second.  At the time we still had hopes Kakko would solve the 1RW problem.  Those hopes are thoroughly dashed right now.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Maybe his HS coach wanted to see if he could dominate all over the ice?  He was probably a giant even back then.

Some players are better offensively when the play is in front of them. He's also a great skater both forwards and backwards, which isn't the case for all players. 

They are getting the most out of his talent with him on defense. People have been suggesting offensive D men move to forward since the year Leetch was -30~. The list of players that had to move to Forward includes but not limited to Tom Poti, MDZ, ADA, now Miller. Unfortunately that's just not how it works. These are players that would probably be much worse offensively as forwards.

Defense can be taught. Patience is required. 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:08 AM, Pete said:

Some players are better offensively when the play is in front of them. He's also a great skater both forwards and backwards, which isn't the case for all players. 

They are getting the most out of his talent with him on defense. People have been suggesting offensive D men move to forward since the year Leetch was -30~. The list of players that had to move to Forward includes but not limited to Tom Poti, MDZ, ADA, now Miller. Unfortunately that's just not how it works. These are players that would probably be much worse offensively as forwards.

Defense can be taught. Patience is required. 

I was only suggesting it as a temporary solution for the teams need.

The last few years, all we heard about was how he's new to the D position,  so we need to be patient. Unlike the names you mentioned,  he has played forward before  (I don't know how accurate that is lol). There have been a few really good NHL D men that have been able to switch on and off. Byfuglien and I believe Burns come to mind.

Its not so much a shot at Miller's defensive ability as it is a belief that hes good enough to be able to do both play wing and D. 

If the Rangers can't make a trade, or call up a prospect,  the fall back is to get creative with what they have.  I

With that said, Id agree that its very unlikely they would do such a thing just yet or at all. Was just making conversation. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was only suggesting it as a temporary solution for the teams need.

The last few years, all we heard about was how he's new to the D position,  so we need to be patient. Unlike the names you mentioned,  he has played forward before  (I don't know how accurate that is lol). There have been a few really good NHL D men that have been able to switch on and off. Byfuglien and I believe Burns come to mind.

Its not so much a shot at Miller's defensive ability as it is a belief that hes good enough to be able to do both play wing and D. 

If the Rangers can't make a trade, or call up a prospect,  the fall back is to get creative with what they have.  I

With that said, Id agree that its very unlikely they would do such a thing just yet or at all. Was just making conversation. 

I hear you, the thing about Burns and Buff is that being right-handed they are more valuable on defense, strong right-handed defenseman are hard to find.

I think at this point moving Miller out of defense is just going to confuse the issue. I feel like it would almost be borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

18 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Rangers holes right now: 1RW, 3C, 3RW.

That's a lot to fill in a short period of time and the Rangers are running out of time to fill.

Third line right wing isn't in a hole if you plug first line right wing. Brodzinski moves to third line, and it would probably be good to reunite him with Cuylle. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Third line right wing isn't in a hole if you plug first line right wing. Brodzinski moves to third line, and it would probably be good to reunite him with Cuylle. 

I don't think Brodzinski is a 3rd line quality wing.  I think he's 4th line maybe.

30 year old AHLer.

18 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't think Brodzinski is a 3rd line quality wing.  I think he's 4th line maybe.

30 year old AHLer.

I don't really agree, but it remains to be seen. He's too offensively inclined to play a fourth line role.

His issue is just consistency. As we're seeing right now, he popped in a couple of points early on that top line, and he hasn't done diddly squat in the last two games.

I maintain that the problem is MZ + CK. They need to be split up. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't really agree, but it remains to be seen. He's too offensively inclined to play a fourth line role.

His issue is just consistency. As we're seeing right now, he popped in a couple of points early on that top line, and he hasn't done diddly squat in the last two games.

I maintain that the problem is MZ + CK. They need to be split up. 

There are nights when they click, and nights looks like they're trying way too hard to set each other up with impossible passes. The latter tend to  be in games where teams play more physical. Lots of Kreider's goals have been tip ins and deflections from 3 feet or less for the blue paint rather than pretty set ups. Would think they would get that.  

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

There are nights when they click, and nights looks like they're trying way too hard to set each other up with impossible passes. The latter tend to  be in games where teams play more physical. Lots of Kreider's goals have been tip ins and deflections from 3 feet or less for the blue paint rather than pretty set ups. Would think they would get that.  

It was really clear that MZ was trying to connect with CK for his 500 point. Passed up numerous opportunities to shoot.

They're forcing it right now. Split them up. Doesn't mean you can't reunite them later. 

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

It was really clear that MZ was trying to connect with CK for his 500 point. Passed up numerous opportunities to shoot.

They're forcing it right now. Split them up. Doesn't mean you can't reunite them later. 

I don't think we have the center available to split them up right now.

We have two top 6 centers and two 4th line centers available.   Putting Kreider with Bonino just doesn't make sense.  That's like two-thirds of a line that can't originate offense and you can't have a 3rd line in that state.

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

We have two top 6 centers and two 4th line centers available.   Putting Kreider with Bonino just doesn't make sense.  That's like two-thirds of a line that can't originate offense and you can't have a 3rd line in that state.

It makes sense when you realize Chris kreider does absolutely nothing when he’s not on the powerplay and actively makes Mika worse at even strength 

• Keeps it 100 2

45 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You can say that about putting anybody with Bonino. 

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Rangers holes right now: 1RW, 3C, 3RW.

That's a lot to fill in a short period of time and the Rangers are running out of time to fill.

I get what you are saying with 1RW, but the Panarin line is the real line 1 so Laffy fills that already. I would say they need a second line quality RW. That means instead of a Timo Meier, they need an Artturi Lehkonen.

I would probably argue they need to get a long term quality top 6 C. Like what I see from Tro this year, but realistically he’s fading into 3C sooner rather than later.