• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chytil Suffers Another Concussion; Placed on LTIR

Phil

6 hours ago, phillyb said:

Wonder why they didn't put Chytil on LTIR to begin with. Maybe optimism?

That knee injury on Kakko - oooooooof. 

This and why carry an extra player like Mackey, during this stretch? Not understanding why they keep calling up guys, just to send them right back down. 

If they are cap strapped, why carry players that are definitely not going to play? It's not much, but with 2 guys on LTIR, why are they juggling such non entities onto the roster, to eat up cap room?  Why bother calling up Edstrom at all?

Every penny counted last year and Drury kept Hajek (and maybe someone else, im forgetting) around only to send him down at the last minute to make cap space for Kane. After playing short for a handful of games. 

Small problem I know. But every penny is going to count and now it's looking like they have to add a player. I'd rather see Othmann called up, but I think the Rangers want something more proven.  

9 hours ago, phillyb said:

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

This and why carry an extra player like Mackey, during this stretch? Not understanding why they keep calling up guys, just to send them right back down. 

If they are cap strapped, why carry players that are definitely not going to play? It's not much, but with 2 guys on LTIR, why are they juggling such non entities onto the roster, to eat up cap room?  Why bother calling up Edstrom at all?

Every penny counted last year and Drury kept Hajek (and maybe someone else, im forgetting) around only to send him down at the last minute to make cap space for Kane. After playing short for a handful of games. 

Small problem I know. But every penny is going to count and now it's looking like they have to add a player. I'd rather see Othmann called up, but I think the Rangers want something more proven.  

From what I've pieced together, and without getting into the weeds, artificially inflating the team's cap hit (calling up Edstrom just to send him back down) wound up creating a larger cushion above the cap they could go while a player(s) are on LTIR. It should only come into play if Chytil or Kakko are out longer than expected (let's say it progresses to a regular season ending injury), and they want to make a trade to fill out the roster. This would have maximized the amount of money they can use on the replacement player.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Applause 1

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Odd that there's no word on either of these guys. Kakko especially. Nothing on an MRI or talk about a definite time table. 

Kakko just got hurt 10 days ago.  He probably underwent surgery in the last few days and they have no idea how long it will be until he is ready to start rehab.

Chytil is an injury that likely has no firm recovery timeframe.  If he really has had two concussions this season there is a good argument for him not playing again this season because 3 concussions in a season would likely be career over.

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Kakko just got hurt 10 days ago.  He probably underwent surgery in the last few days and they have no idea how long it will be until he is ready to start rehab.

Chytil is an injury that likely has no firm recovery timeframe.  If he really has had two concussions this season there is a good argument for him not playing again this season because 3 concussions in a season would likely be career over.

Surgery on what? If it's an ACL, MCL, anything like that, teams typically announce it. They haven't said what it is. 

Chytil has been practicing.  Usually when a player is practicing,  we get a time frame. 

Kakko got hurt this past Monday. Depending on what the injury is, he might not even had surgery yet. A buddy of mine tore his meniscus during the game on a knee to knee hit And they didn't operate for 2 weeks. He needed to have the swelling go down and he even did some pre-op physical therapy. 

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Surgery on what? If it's an ACL, MCL, anything like that, teams typically announce it. They haven't said what it is. 

Chytil has been practicing.  Usually when a player is practicing,  we get a time frame. 

Totally true.

And I don’t think he required surgery.

Just immobilization, rest and recovery, some rehab, and time.

Though legitimate question…?

If the player has an injury that results in say…, some torn cartilage, and requires arthroscopic surgery, which is very simple and only mildly invasive, and has a shorter recovery time…, does that get released?

I think so.

But not sure.

If he requires that, swelling has to go down first.

So it’s possible he needs that clean out surgery. Just wasn’t able to do it immediately.

Edited by RangersIn7

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Has Chytil been practicing or skating on his own?  I think the last we heard from Laviolette he had been skating on his own.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Place Chytil, Kakko on Long-term Injured Reserve

Rangers taking cautious approach with Filip Chytil’s path to return

The 24-year-old center, who is believed to have sustained three concussions prior to this incident, has not yet been able to rejoin the Rangers for a practice, even in a noncontact jersey, as he continues to skate on his own.

Nevertheless, the Blueshirts expect him to return to the club, though understandably no timetable has ever been attached to Chytil’s recovery process.

“I think he’s moving in the right direction,” head coach Peter Laviolette said following Thursday’s practice. “I think he’ll return.”

With Kaapo Kakko also on LTI in the wake of the left leg injury he sustained against Buffalo on Nov. 27, the club’s cap space is essentially frozen at just over $112,000.

If, however, Chytil is out for the season, the club would gain an additional $3.8 million or so in space.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/07/sports/rangers-taking-cautious-approach-to-filip-chytils-return/

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think there's any way Chytil comes back this season. 

Yeah, I have no idea how to read this, honestly. Maybe it's just me, but I don't read a lot of confidence in any of the statements about him since the concussion. Even Lav here is prefacing what he's saying with a lot of "I think," instead of "he's coming back."

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What's screwed up is that it didn't seem like Fast meant to even hit him!  It was an accidental hit at center ice, that didn't even seem like much.

He's in Lindros territory, largely for the same reason. Doesn't skate with his head up. Lindros once concussed himself with the butt end of his own stick... It's probably in his best interest to take the year off. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, I have no idea how to read this, honestly. Maybe it's just me, but I don't read a lot of confidence in any of the statements about him since the concussion. Even Lav here is prefacing what he's saying with a lot of "I think," instead of "he's coming back."

Yeah. Even a line like he's headed in the right direction basically can just mean he's not sitting in a dark room with noise canceling headphones on. 

Edited by Pete

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

What's screwed up is that it didn't seem like Fast meant to even hit him!  It was an accidental hit at center ice, that didn't even seem like much.

thats whats scary. it doesnt take much to knock him out. not even for the team but even the guys health.

My best guess is he had a concussion before that and the hit jolted him more? Im no expert obviously but I remember a friend of mine when I was a kid got hit in the head playing baseball then like 3 days later after being in school started complaining about feeling nauseous and stuff and it turned out he had a concussion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's in Lindros territory, largely for the same reason. Doesn't skate with his head up. Lindros once concussed himself with the butt end of his own stick... It's probably in his best interest to take the year off. 

It actually is at this point.  If he comes back I'm gonna wince everytime he gets near the boards!

None of the commentary, like you guys said seems very definite, other than "definite maybe's". 

This goes back to the point about moving him to wing or trade him if he does come back. I've been in Chytil's corner through thick and thin for a long time because of what he offered at a premium position, but because it's a premium position, availability is very key. You can't leave it so vulnerable. The hit that gave him this one was a nothing burger. Shelve him for the year, and make some calls about a quality center who can stick around for a while.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:13 AM, phillyb said:

Cap issues. Fans really don't seem to understand how LTIR works because it's incredibly complicated, but it's not the benefit a lot of folks think it is. Everyone keeps talking about Kucherov, but that was an exception to the rule. LTIR hurts teams more than it helps in most cases.

All these injuries are showing is who is expendable on this roster when it comes to contract time.

Trocheck is finally hitting his stride here. The room seems strong. Chytil and Kakko seem to be minor players in the grand scheme here. I'd give Kakko a shot to expand on the positives we have seen but I'm done with Chytil's fragility. Not his fault but this is a business.