• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

We still have no idea what Lafreniere is going to be in his prime.  We actually have very little idea what he is going to be this season.

The arrow is pointing up but it's wavering a bit just like it has been all season.

If he throws himself into the games it's going to go up and if he's tentative it will be more sideways.

I wouldn't be upset if the Rangers dealt him for some real help this year including at least one guy who was going to be here for awhile.  It'd be a letdown for those of us who really want to see Laf succeed but this Ranger's team needs help on more than one line at this point and the rentals are getting old.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

We still have no idea what Lafreniere is going to be in his prime.  We actually have very little idea what he is going to be this season.

The arrow is pointing up but it's wavering a bit just like it has been all season.

If he throws himself into the games it's going to go up and if he's tentative it will be more sideways.

I wouldn't be upset if the Rangers dealt him for some real help this year including at least one guy who was going to be here for awhile.  It'd be a letdown for those of us who really want to see Laf succeed but this Ranger's team needs help on more than one line at this point and the rentals are getting old.

You’re not going to see his best for another couple of seasons.

They shouldn’t deal him.

The player he will be at 24, 25 and beyond is a player every team will want on their roster. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

You’re not going to see his best for another couple of seasons.

They shouldn’t deal him.

The player he will be at 24, 25 and beyond is a player every team will want on their roster. 

It's 50/50 on this.  High ceiling and moderately low floor.

Looks good, but not finishing and was a -3. -8 on the season. Looking good isn't enough when you're giving up gobs of goals the other direction.

But I also don't care that much his line is getting scored on so much. They have to take the lumps defensively and let Lafreniere develop offensively.

Edited by BrooksBurner

36 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Looks good, but not finishing and was a -3. -8 on the season. Looking good isn't enough when you're giving up gobs of goals the other direction.

But I also don't care that much his line is getting scored on so much. They have to take the lumps defensively and let Lafreniere develop offensively.

Surprised he’s -8 on the line with panarin. Panarin has been on fire

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

They should put Laf out to PK.

I'm only half-kidding on this.  He needs to gain some defensive responsibility at this point to make him a complete player.  Also, the way he skates when he is moving towards his own goal is not exactly coasting but it's a lot less energy invested and purpose involved than when he's skating towards the OZ.

BTW, I know that it looks like I'm very critical of Laf but I'm really a big fan.  He needs to grow up in a hurry here or he's going to do it somewhere else and that's what I'd rather not deal with.

Edited by Br4d

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

I'm only half-kidding on this.  He needs to gain some defensive responsibility at this point to make him a complete player.  Also, the way he skates when he is moving towards his own goal is not exactly coasting but it's a lot less energy invested and purpose involved than when he's skating towards the OZ.

BTW, I know that it looks like I'm very critical of Laf but I'm really a big fan.  He needs to grow up in a hurry here or he's going to do it somewhere else and that's what I'd rather not deal with.

Costing is indicative to all LWs on this team. He just follows examples of the veterans in Kreider and Panarin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

He's just now beginning to understand what it means to be an offensive player in this league. Let him master that, then worry about defense. 

This is the type of progression I was talking about most highly drafted offensive players from rookie year on. Most guys come in the league very dynamic and you have to reign them in and teach them the defensive side. 

The season he's having right now is the season I thought he'd have as a rookie in terms of looking like a competent player and at times dominant. 

He needs to be better with defensively, but one thing at a time. 

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Too bad the points aren't coming because he's really deserved it. He should have had a couple of goals against Montreal, and probably one or two after that. The one bright spot from this skid they're on.

He isn't a finisher!!!!!

• ALEXIS! 1

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'd like to see them try someone else on Panarins RW, to not only change things in the lineup,  but to see if Laf can do it away from Panarin. 

50- 93- 13

10- 16- 17

20- 21- 26

Bonino and friends 

If they want a change,  you have to move around more than just your old 37 year old that gets blamed for everything. Panarin has done fine with the likes of Dryden Hunt and Colin Blackwell. I honestly think Wheeler would work good with Panarin. Thought so ever since they got him. 

The 20/93 Bromance is just hard to watch. Kreider has been absolutely floating around on a cloud of air the last few weeks. He's too comfortable. He needs to be pushed or sent a message. 

Of course adding any sort of decent center would be a great help and an excuse to blow the lines up. 

Gotta figure a way to separate 20/93 and find a home for Wheeler. No. Not a retirement home. I know I'm alone in thinking he's not as bad as people say. They have no other options. Seems like Laviolette is dead set against pushing Vesey or Goodrow up the lineup. Gotta make it work.  

1 hour ago, Pete said:

By the way, he looked pretty good on the power play. Now I understand the argument that he would be a 100-point player every year if just for a little power play time!

I don't think he'd be a 100 pt player right now if he was on PP1.  I think he'd be a 70-80 pt player.  I think he might be a 100 pt player in 3 or 4 years in his prime.

• Believe 1

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd like to see them try someone else on Panarins RW, to not only change things in the lineup,  but to see if Laf can do it away from Panarin. 

50- 93- 13

10- 16- 17

20- 21- 26

Bonino and friends 

If they want a change,  you have to move around more than just your old 37 year old that gets blamed for everything. Panarin has done fine with the likes of Dryden Hunt and Colin Blackwell. I honestly think Wheeler would work good with Panarin. Thought so ever since they got him. 

The 20/93 Bromance is just hard to watch. Kreider has been absolutely floating around on a cloud of air the last few weeks. He's too comfortable. He needs to be pushed or sent a message. 

Of course adding any sort of decent center would be a great help and an excuse to blow the lines up. 

Gotta figure a way to separate 20/93 and find a home for Wheeler. No. Not a retirement home. I know I'm alone in thinking he's not as bad as people say. They have no other options. Seems like Laviolette is dead set against pushing Vesey or Goodrow up the lineup. Gotta make it work.  

Have at it with the lines. I’m still of the belief that tinkering around won’t do anything. The changes needed to start fixing this team and getting players who align with Lavi’s style will happen on a larger scale in July.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Have at it with the lines. I’m still of the belief that tinkering around won’t do anything. The changes needed to start fixing this team and getting players who align with Lavi’s style will happen on a larger scale in July.

It's going to be really hard to re-align the Rangers to do what Laviolette really wants to do.

You cannot get rid of Panarin even if for some reason you wanted to during a career year.

The rest of the core of Mika, Kreider and Fox are still going to be east-westing because it's what they do.

All the younger Rangers are being influenced by what the core do.

Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can take two steps forward.

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I think we need to see “70+ points with work to do defensively” before we see “50 points but fine defensively”. The question has always been if he can be a driver on offense some day when the page turns. It’s easier to find others to defend well, and for cheaper too.

This also requires him getting Panarin’s or Zibanejad’s spot on the PP. Those are the PP positions where he gets the puck on his stick to be a playmaker. I think Zibanejad’s PP role should change to accomodate that for now.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I think we need to see “70+ points with work to do defensively” before we see “50 points but fine defensively”. The question has always been if he can be a driver on offense some day when the page turns. It’s easier to find others to defend well, and for cheaper too.

This also requires him getting Panarin’s or Zibanejad’s spot on the PP. Those are the PP positions where he gets the puck on his stick to be a playmaker. I think Zibanejad’s PP role should change to accomodate that for now.

Just giving him a set role when he is coming back on defense would be good.  What he does now is to move into the slot (by himself) and wait.  Positionally that is maybe not a bad move but it would be better if he was actually checking somebody while he was doing it.

They need to give him a responsibility on the backcheck.  At a minimum he needs to pick up one of the d-men and stick to him.  One of the reasons the Rangers have been so porous lately in their own zone is that Laf is defending air when he comes back.

40 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

There's no proof that he will finish more but I hope you are right.

There’s in many cases not much, if any proof of what a developing player may end up doing or being and what specific attributes they may show when they’re still developing. 

Id say the step he’s taken and the way his play has improved is proof enough that there’s likely more there.

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

There’s in many cases not much, if any proof of what a developing player may end up doing or being and what specific attributes they may show when they’re still developing. 

Id say the step he’s taken and the way his play has improved is proof enough that there’s likely more there.

He's been pretty damn good this year...The puck just hasn't cooperated...YET!

It will! 😃

• Believe 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

I don't think he'd be a 100 pt player right now if he was on PP1.  I think he'd be a 70-80 pt player.  I think he might be a 100 pt player in 3 or 4 years in his prime.

Nah, he would have 47 goals and 73 assists. I read it here and also on Twitter. 

• LMFAO 1