• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

I hope Halak comes back. He would need to take a paycut. I hope he understands it isn’t due to his play but because of our cap crunch. He would get a healthy amount of games for a backup, play on a contender (we hope) and be able to win his 300th. It’s a good match. I hope it works out. 

• Like 2
  • Believe 1

12 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Great. Split the kids up and sprinkle them into the top 6 with some veteran support, and PP time.

They can't stay together as they have been with no identity or role. Just 3 guys on a line endlessly cycling. 

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

30 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Sounds awesome. It’s also typical new coach sound bytes like what we’ve already heard before, but not put into practice because of the win now at all costs agenda pushed by ownership and upper management. I’ll believe the words when I see the change.

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Sounds awesome. It’s also typical new coach sound bytes like what we’ve already heard before, but not put into practice because of the win now at all costs agenda pushed by ownership and upper management. I’ll believe the words when I see the change.

Nah.

Narrator: "Except, they barely practiced...To the point the players asked for more intense practices."

• Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah.

Narrator: "Except, they barely practiced...To the point the players asked for more intense practices."

Except, yeah:

"You can't rush them too much, but you give them the opportunity to take the steps," he said. "And when they deserve more, you give them more."

"You give them the opportunity. Hopefully they take advantage of the opportunity and the ice time they get and excel with it," he said. "I don't think young players can sit on the fourth line and get a lot out of that."

"You’ve got to make sure you're working and you're worthy of that ice time you're getting that night," he added. "It's a fine line for the coaches. We want to develop players, but we also want to win every night. That's where we're at right now."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/06/22/takeaways-ny-rangers-coach-gerard-gallants-introduction/5303442001/

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Except the guy who said it today is a real coach, the guy who you're quoting isn't.

I'm not worried.

You're clearly looking for reasons to be negative, so you can have a miserable summer but I'll just enjoy mine. 

Edited by Pete

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Except the guy who said it today is a real coach, the guy who you're quoting isn't.

I'm not worried.

You're clearly looking for reasons to be negative, so you can have a miserable summer but I'll just enjoy mine. 

Coaches say the same shit that all sounds good in theory, but at the end of the day when the mandate coming from the top is to win now and it comes down to keeping their jobs, it goes out the window. That's why the same veterans get the ice time on the PP, 4v4, 3v3 OT, crunch time, etc. Sometimes the truth is negative, I don't know what to tell you. I'd rather acknowledge it than be ignorant.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Keeps it 100 1

39 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Coaches say the same shit that all sounds good in theory, but at the end of the day when the mandate coming from the top is to win now and it comes down to keeping their jobs, it goes out the window. That's why the same veterans get the ice time on the PP, 4v4, 3v3 OT, crunch time, etc. Sometimes the truth is negative, I don't know what to tell you. I'd rather acknowledge it than be ignorant.

I'm not going to expect more than we've seen out of this group of players until they either change the composition some or they make a clear change in how the players are used.

Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me.

• Bullseye 1

I think Laviolette is going to have plenty of leash this time.  I think after 2 coaches have found their way to the exits, I'm feeling like all eyes are now on the players.

We brought in a proven veteran coach with quite a pedigree.  Now the blame lies in the execution of the plan and system put forth by this coach.  Quinn had barely any experience, and Gallant had never won before.  Lavvy has...and has played a big part with some very successful teams/players.  He knows how to coach.  If he sticks to what he has done in the past, I see players go sailing out the door way before he does.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think Laviolette is going to have plenty of leash this time.  I think after 2 coaches have found their way to the exits, I'm feeling like all eyes are now on the players.

We brought in a proven veteran coach with quite a pedigree.  Now the blame lies in the execution of the plan and system put forth by this coach.  Quinn had barely any experience, and Gallant had never won before.  Lavvy has...and has played a big part with some very successful teams/players.  He knows how to coach.  If he sticks to what he has done in the past, I see players go sailing out the door way before he does.

It's almost like the coaches should be judged as individuals, rather than with blanket statements so that the target can remain on the players—despite Gallant's very apparent and public shortcomings.

Since his first coaching stint in LI, Laviolette's shortest tenure had been 3 years (and it was with the Caps). Gallant has yet to make it to year 3 employed by one team.

Folks need to stop saying "They're all the same," because apparently, they are not.

• VINNY! 1

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think it might be about Drury’s leash this time around, and Laviolette is intrinsically tied to that. The way I see it is one of two things has to be true after the next two seasons. The team is consistently successful, or has a strong pulse even in failure. There’s a clear difference between the loss to Tampa and the loss to NJD, for example. If not achieving this standard as a team, then the kids have to show they are the building blocks to turn to. If neither of these things are true, it’s a complete failure and basically means a rebuild. I’m not sure how Drury would survive that.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think it might be about Drury’s leash this time around, and Laviolette is intrinsically tied to that. The way I see it is one of two things has to be true after the next two seasons. The team is consistently successful, or has a strong pulse even in failure. There’s a clear difference between the loss to Tampa and the loss to NJD, for example. If not achieving this standard as a team, then the kids have to show they are the building blocks to turn to. If neither of these things are true, it’s a complete failure and basically means a rebuild. I’m not sure how Drury would survive that.

I don't really think Drury is any trouble just yet.  He's still a new GM, and I think he's made some pretty good deals to put this team in contention each season since he's been here.  The only decision that didn't turn out in the best manner was Gallant, but the team still had success In SPITE of him.  LOL

Everybody gets a fair shake and a clean slate this year....even Drury.

After watching that presser, I think Yukon is giving up his Lifetime "Donut-a-day" subscription.  He's not on anyone's good side up here, but if anyone is gonna get through to this kid, it's Laviolette.

Is it hockey season yet????   😉

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

Brooks Article

There may not be as much sizzle to the Rangers, not quite as much glitter. Black-and-Blueshirt hockey is set for a Broadway revival.

Whether the Rangers have enough intrinsic grind in them remains to be seen. I am skeptical. If not, it is Drury’s responsibility to provide Laviolette with the ingredients necessary for success, even if the GM is working with a limited salary-cap budget. By the way, there is a need for another Barclay Goodrow or two, not one fewer.

Liked a lot of what he said today but it really is just talk until we see how it plays out.  I will continue to share the same concern as Brooks here until proven wrong.  I think there are a couple of these guys that just aren't built for and/or don't have the mentality for this going all out from day one. I think they will be exposed over the course of the season. Ultimately I see the team  treading water because once it becomes clear some aren't up to it making the necessary changes to the roster doesn't become any easier than it is today. So it would still take a while to turn things over while some other top guys continue to age on done the road. 

Lavy has enjoyed some donuts since his time in Philly, the last time I actually was around him a couple times when he ran a few days at the Titans camp when they were affiliated with the flyers. So he will have that in common with Laugh. Something to break the ice with.

My summer is going great though, which is good news. Hope you guys are enjoying yours too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Brooks Article

Liked a lot of what he said today but it really is just talk until we see how it plays out.  I will continue to share the same concern as Brooks here until proven wrong.  I think there are a couple of these guys that just aren't built for and/or don't have the mentality for this going all out from day one. I think they will be exposed over the course of the season. Ultimately I see the team  treading water because once it becomes clear some aren't up to it making the necessary changes to the roster doesn't become any easier than it is today. So it would still take a while to turn things over while some other top guys continue to age on done the road. 

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Lavy has enjoyed some donuts since his time in Philly, the last time I actually was around him a couple times when he ran a few days at the Titans camp when they were affiliated with the flyers. So he will have that in common with Laugh. Something to break the ice with.

My summer is going great though, which is good news. Hope you guys are enjoying yours too.

Lafreniere still thinks Laviolette is a new breakfast sandwich coming soon to Dunkin. He hasn’t caught up yet.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

45 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Lafreniere still thinks Laviolette is a new breakfast sandwich coming soon to Dunkin. He hasn’t caught up yet.

One of the better articles you have written in a while. 

I agree with everything. 

wonder who the other asst coach will be

21 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Uggggh, 1st preseason game isn't until Sept 24th at Boston.

When it seems like you’re missing rangers hockey just think about the lack of balls this team had in the playoffs, Panarins lack of point production, zibanajad being MIA, laugh being laugh, the 5v5 play, etc… then go to the beach and have a nice drink 

• Cheers 2