• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

Thanks for reminding me that Trouba has three more years left.

And yeah, I also kind of think that's why Drury went with Laviolette. He's definitely a 'safe' pick and he does get quick results and that's what they need. I kind of expected it to happen, just odd that it took so long to transpire. Maybe they really wanted Q, but didn't want to wait on the league to get maybe get him reinstated?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

If Montreal buys out Gallagher,  the Rangers need to be knocking on his door yesterday.  

55 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

This 100%. Just an absolute piece of shit to play against.

Nah, he's a little more than a third or fourth liner at this point, and he can't stay healthy. 

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, he's a little more than a third or fourth liner at this point, and he can't stay healthy. 

If he's bought out, he'll likely sign for peanuts. 1.5 for Gallagher on a 1 or 2 year "stay healthy" deal is a low risk high reward  move. Scrap heap players are likely the Rangers only options. 

From that list, I doubt Wheeler gets bought out. Winnipeg is already coming apart at the seams. They have to hold on to the one guy that never complained about playing for them. Otherwise I'd say he's perfect  for the Rangers. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If he's bought out, he'll likely sign for peanuts. 1.5 for Gallagher on a 1 or 2 year "stay healthy" deal is a low risk high reward  move. Scrap heap players are likely the Rangers only options. 

The team can't afford to play a player to sit on IR.

We can afford league minimum contracts, and it'll be better used on guys that either have some room to grow (our prospects) or are at least not injury concerns. Gallagher has missed 71 over the past two seasons, and scored 15 goals in the 93 games he did play.

Trevor Lewis has missed 2 games the past two seasons and has 334 hits and 15 goals scored during that time. Tyler Pitlick put up 103 hits in 61 games with 16 points thrown in. Winnipeg's Maenalanen also threw tons of hits and played more games than Gallagher. All three of those guys made league minimum.

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

We can afford league minimum contracts, and it'll be better used on guys that either have some room to grow (our prospects) or are at least not injury concerns. Gallagher has missed 71 over the past two seasons, and scored 15 goals in the 93 games he did play.

Trevor Lewis has missed 2 games the past two seasons and has 334 hits and 15 goals scored during that time. Tyler Pitlick put up 103 hits in 61 games with 16 points thrown in. Winnipeg's Maenalanen also threw tons of hits and played more games than Gallagher. All three of those guys made league minimum.

Great.  Guess the stat line:  61 games, 5 goals, 15 points, 152 hits 

Should we go get this guy?

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Great.  Guess the stat line:  61 games, 5 goals, 15 points, 152 hits 

Should we go get this guy?

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

If he costs $750k, I don't see why not. But Reaves didn't so your point doesn't exactly match up.

Edited by Cash or Czech

6 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

If he costs $750k, I don't see why not. But Reaves didn't so your point doesn't exactly match up.

Because he sucks.  That's the point.  A bunch of hits and having 5 pucks bounce off of you into the net over 60-80 games is meaningless.  We need 4th liners that can skate, have a high motor to forecheck and harass the opponent, and aren't defensive liabilities.  I don't care if they throw 50 hits or 200 hits.

• VINNY! 1

Just now, Long live the King said:

Because he sucks.  That's the point.  A bunch of hits and having 5 pucks bounce off of you into the net over 60-80 games is meaningless.  We need 4th liners that can skate, have a high motor to forecheck and harass the opponent, and aren't defensive liabilities.  I don't care if they throw 50 hits or 200 hits.

You go through the list of of UFAs and find that. I did, those scrubs are the "cream of the crop". 

Just now, Long live the King said:

Agree, the 4th line we had to end the year was good, but they needed to start in the O zone to be effective, or they would just get pinned in their zone. Maybe that changes under Lav, but I'm not sure I see anyone on that line with the skills or the skates to exit the zone efficiently.

25 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I'd rather just run a 4th line of Cuylle-Brodzinski-Vesey than sign any of those guys.

Yet unfortunately with our cap situation, it’s likely Vesey will be in the top-9 again. So we need a UFA plug either to take that top-9 spot, or more likely to take the 4th line spot we’d prefer him in. 

DailyFaceoff has Nick Foligno projected at 1 year around $1.2M. He'd be a perfect addition to the team as a gritty veteran player who can take up a defensive workload. He's long been considered the cream of the crop among leaders in the league, and he'd be a good voice to have in the room. Tortorella leaned on him heavily and I could see Laviolette doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

DailyFaceoff has Nick Foligno projected at 1 year around $1.2M. He'd be a perfect addition to the team as a gritty veteran player who can take up a defensive workload. He's long been considered the cream of the crop among leaders in the league, and he'd be a good voice to have in the room. Tortorella leaned on him heavily and I could see Laviolette doing the same.

I'd 100% take Foligno over Gallagher.

Perfect Goodrow replacement if the team moves on, too. All the same hallmarks — penalty-killing, leadership, playoffs experience, physical, vocal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd 100% take Foligno over Gallagher.

Perfect Goodrow replacement if the team moves on, too. All the same hallmarks — penalty-killing, leadership, playoffs experience, physical, vocal.

He's slow as shit and 36 when the season starts, no thanks.

2 hours ago, Long live the King said:

I'd rather just run a 4th line of Cuylle-Brodzinski-Vesey than sign any of those guys.

That fourth line would bring some jump. I like it. Can't wait to see Cuylle and Robertson/Jones up here next year.

4 hours ago, Long live the King said:

We don't need 4th liners. We need atleast 1 top 6-ish RW. I'll take Gallagher if he's actually available,  but as you pointed out, I guess the list is meaningless.