• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Sure they can. If he's out long enough he goes on LTIR. If he's constantly hurt and of no help, he can go on waivers or Hartford.

LTIR isn't the "free money" you think it is. It requires the team to go over the cap, and requires them to immediately get back under it the moment that player is deemed healthy again. Makes even simple call-ups for second, third, fourth injuries nearly impossible.

• VINNY! 1

3 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

DailyFaceoff has Nick Foligno projected at 1 year around $1.2M. He'd be a perfect addition to the team as a gritty veteran player who can take up a defensive workload. He's long been considered the cream of the crop among leaders in the league, and he'd be a good voice to have in the room. Tortorella leaned on him heavily and I could see Laviolette doing the same.

I like it. 

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sure they can. If he's out long enough he goes on LTIR. If he's constantly hurt and of no help, he can go on waivers or Hartford. 

I just don't see the point, but just my $.02.

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Panarin with his new haircut should also find himself a new position (RW) or a new team.

You're ripping me off Brooksie ! "In addition, the Rangers’ power play became stagnant last season, and no, that was not because of Patrick Kane. The unit underachieved all season. Pass, pass, pass, one-timer by Mika. Pass, pass, pass, one-timer by Mika. Pass, pass, pass, the first unit staying on for 1:25 regardless."

https://nypost.com/2023/06/17/rangers-can-switch-things-up-by-hiring-youthful-marc-savard/

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bugg said:

You're ripping me off Brooksie ! "In addition, the Rangers’ power play became stagnant last season, and no, that was not because of Patrick Kane. The unit underachieved all season. Pass, pass, pass, one-timer by Mika. Pass, pass, pass, one-timer by Mika. Pass, pass, pass, the first unit staying on for 1:25 regardless."

https://nypost.com/2023/06/17/rangers-can-switch-things-up-by-hiring-youthful-marc-savard/

I said it all year 🤷‍♂️

Zibanejad is so dangerous from that spot, so you gotta keep it, but Fox/Panarin on the top/right is much too passive and neither are a consistent shooting threat. You have to test Panarin’s ego here. Switch him to bumper to keep him on PP1 or move him to PP2 to play in his natural spot on the left.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad is so dangerous from that spot, so you gotta keep it

It's a zero sum game: every time you try that play, you are not using another play.  There are so many shanks, missed the net, broken sticks, and executed too slowly allowing the goalie to get in position.  The Zib one timer need to be deemphasized. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

It's a zero sum game: every time you try that play, you are not using another play.  There are so many shanks, missed the net, broken sticks, and executed too slowly allowing the goalie to get in position.  The Zib one timer need to be deemphasized. 

Totally get this POV, but he was tied for 3rd in PPG. He still finds goals. He could just find more goals if they could draw more plays up when a PKer is shaded towards him, effectively leaving a 4 on 3 on the other half of the ice. If they could be more threatening in this scenario, the opposition can't just shade Zibanejad. The reason they struggle to take advantage of it is because Fox and Panarin play hot potato. Fox looks for a Kreider tip down low, and if it's not there it's dished back to Panarin. Panarin also looks for Kreider down low towards the side of the net, sometimes for that quick touch pass from Kreider to a Zibanejad moves down towards the goal line at the same time for a one timer. It's worked a couple of times, but it requires pretty perfect execution and timing. I don't recall offhand a quick feed from Kreider to Trocheck up in the slot, but maybe that's worked a couple of times too. I think they just need someone who is more willing to walk in with numbers and take a good percentage shot from the right boards/dot. Panarin is the wrong handedness. I'd be fine with any one of the kids in that spot. Chytil has most earned the chance first and has the best shot of the kids, but I trust Kakko more not to lose possession with the puck on his stick. If he's not shooting enough, swap him out.

With that said, Panarin is dangerous from his natural left board spot. It's a shared "demotion" between he and Zibanejad, because they should be creating two rotating lines that battle each other for the PP starts. Kreider-Fox are constant starters. Zib-Trocheck-Kakko vs Panarin-Chytil-Lafreniere. A little healthy competition for premium ice time would be great.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

The whole season will be like that if nothing major happens to the roster this summer.

I don’t foresee a major roster change honestly.

I think the core is the core, they’ll integrate  some young guys and a few cheap FA’s into the lineup, and then try to make additions at the deadline again. 

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I concur

Could be a blessing.

Theres a couple of guys in Hartford that probably warrant a look and real opportunity. 

Good organizations produce players- particularly lower portion of the lineup players- internally.

They need to be doing that

• Bullseye 1

19 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Could be a blessing.

Theres a couple of guys in Hartford that probably warrant a look and real opportunity. 

Good organizations produce players- particularly lower portion of the lineup players- internally.

They need to be doing that

I don’t concur. The lower portion of the lineup wasn’t the crux of the issue. Changes to the core are needed so I don’t see running it back as a positive or a blessing.

I agree somewhat on the rest, generating quality support players from within, but that won’t be the difference here. Wlhen a team’s “3rd line” (the kid line) is putting up close to 120 points at even strength, they probably aren’t the problem. A 4th line is a 4th line, and doesn’t matter if your stars don’t perform.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t concur. The lower portion of the lineup wasn’t the crux of the issue. Changes to the core are needed so I don’t see running it back as a positive or a blessing.

I agree somewhat on the rest, generating quality support players from within, but that won’t be the difference here. Wlhen a team’s “3rd line” (the kid line) is putting up close to 120 points at even strength, they probably aren’t the problem. A 4th line is a 4th line, and doesn’t matter if your stars don’t perform.

Well obviously I wasn’t referring to the top of the lineup.

More the depth you can build and will need by both playing the younger guys coming through the organization and making some adds at the deadline.

Top guys need to be better.

Thats a for sure.

• Like 1

Laviolette needs to come in with an independent viewpoint and make the changes he thinks need to be made.

You can't run back the lineup GG was using in the same way GG was using them and expect things to get better.

If I'm Chris Drury I'm listening to everything Laviolette says and being as accommodating as possible.  You hired the guy, you really need to get 100% of what is available through that hire.