• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

One name not to watch for today: Patrick Kane. He’s rehabbing from hip surgery that will keep him on the shelf until October or November and the Rangers are high on his list when he’ll be ready to sign close to the start of the season. If the Rangers have cap space or an injury, maybe that’s a possible match, but it’s also a long way off.

https://theathletic.com/4657971/2023/07/01/rangers-free-agency-lafreniere-quick/?source=user_shared_article

Good news for the “re-sign Kane” fans. No team that he’d be interested in will have significant cap to shell out after the season starts, so this is a clear sign to me that he wants Rangers and he’ll sign dirt cheap. Perhaps the Rangers reserve some bonus money to attach later for him.

• Believe 1

CapFriendly has us with a smidge over $8.5M with 11F 5D 2G. They’re including Pitlick and Belzile on the roster. Signing Lafreniere, Miller, and adding Zac Jones puts us at 12-7-2. Definitely doable with the ability to carry an extra forward as well, and navigate additions at the deadline. 

15 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Also, a ton of guys taking one or two year deals smartly before the cap raises a decent chunk next offseason (allegedly)

Good for the Rangers too because we don't want to lock people up for 3 or 4 years when the whole thing could come crashing down next year and change the timetables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

https://theathletic.com/4657971/2023/07/01/rangers-free-agency-lafreniere-quick/?source=user_shared_article

Good news for the “re-sign Kane” fans. No team that he’d be interested in will have significant cap to shell out after the season starts, so this is a clear sign to me that he wants Rangers and he’ll sign dirt cheap. Perhaps the Rangers reserve some bonus money to attach later for him.

And Dallas just signed Duchene .

So one of the teams he supposedly wanted to be traded to last year, has made its splash. 

Ughh, just do the right thing and sign Domi instead.  

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is one of the worst lineup configurations for these players that I can think of. This is why Vinny couldn’t get a job at the Post

Question is who do they trade Lafreniere for? 

While I enjoy the depth, these types better not be pushed ahead of the kids. Othmann and Cuylle should get serious looks and chances. 

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is one of the worst lineup configurations for these players that I can think of. This is why Vinny couldn’t get a job at the Post

Guess I can’t get a job at the post because this is exactly how I’d start the season more or less (flexible in that 4th line)

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Question is who do they trade Lafreniere for? 

While I enjoy the depth, these types better not be pushed ahead of the kids. Othmann and Cuylle should get serious looks and chances. 

Did othman sign? I don’t feel like looking and I don’t remember 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Considering he didn't have much to work with the cap and all, Drury has done really well so far. Good personnel and business decisions.

Yup

Good signings to fill holes with guys who can contribute. Some depth signings.

Spent very little money.

And still has money for Miller and LaFreniere 

• Applause 1

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

Guess I can’t get a job at the post because this is exactly how I’d start the season more or less (flexible in that 4th line)

To each their own.

I see a 2nd line that would be absolutely horrific in their own zone. A 3rd line made up of players who just got thrown together because they were the parts left out of the top 6. No identity there. The 4th line stinks.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

To each their own.

I see a 2nd line that would be absolutely horrific in their own zone. A 3rd line made up of players who just got thrown together because they were the parts left out of the top 6. No identity there. The 4th line stinks.

We’ll see how training camp goes I guess

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

Why are you confused I was literally asking as I couldn’t remember lol

thanks for answering it

Sorry. Thought maybe I worded my initial post incorrectly. Was making sure we were talking about the same player.  

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

To each their own.

They’re doing their best in a flat cap world where they have $5 million fewer dollars than they should 

He made good signings today

And they’ll add at the deadline too

Its fine

And depth is better too

I'd go Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Wheeler on line 1.  Panarin-Chytil -Kakko on line 2.  Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey/Goodrow on line 3.  Cuylle-Goodrow-Pitlick on line 4.

I'd marginally prefer Goodrow on Cuylle's line because I think it's a good move to put a tough savvy vet with the young guy you are giving his first real licks in the NHL.  Goodrow would be a boon linemate for Cuylle next year.

Edited by Br4d