• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

21 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

In a hypothetical Panarin trade, I'm pretty convinced the Ducks would be the best fit.

The Ducks do it for a lot of reasons. They have gobs of cap space to take Panarin's full cap hit, or at most the Rangers retain $1-2M. Panarin comes cheaper trade wise for them because the Rangers will be mostly happy enough to just clear Panarin's cap, and there's nobody on the UFA market who can do for the Ducks what Panarin can do for them. Panarin will help make that team competitive again and with only 3 years left on his contract is a short term commitment. The bonus for the Ducks is Strome is a 40 point player without Panarin and his contract is absolute crap as a result. This is an easy way to not only get Panarin, but make Strome useful again. I don't see much downside for the Ducks.

Panarin waives because he gets to play with Strome again and he gets to go somewhere where he can play his fun, loose, carefree game without getting blasted by the media. He'll get a lot of love from that team and the fans because he'll help make that team competitive again, similar to what it was like here the first few seasons.

We know all of the reasons why the Rangers do it. They free up cap space for top 6 reconfiguration, bolster the right side, and prioritize winning in the playoffs.

No way he waives to go to that bottom feeder cross country. I just don't see it. I think your points are valid though.

I think Toronto for Marner would be more fun to talk aboot. Team needs a new look trying to get over the hump. We need the RW help. Salaries pretty much wash.

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

In a hypothetical Panarin trade, I'm pretty convinced the Ducks would be the best fit.

The Ducks do it for a lot of reasons. They have gobs of cap space to take Panarin's full cap hit, or at most the Rangers retain $1-2M. Panarin comes cheaper trade wise for them because the Rangers will be mostly happy enough to just clear Panarin's cap, and there's nobody on the UFA market who can do for the Ducks what Panarin can do for them. Panarin will help make that team competitive again and with only 3 years left on his contract is a short term commitment. The bonus for the Ducks is Strome is a 40 point player without Panarin and his contract is absolute crap as a result. This is an easy way to not only get Panarin, but make Strome useful again. I don't see much downside for the Ducks.

Panarin waives because he gets to play with Strome again and he gets to go somewhere where he can play his fun, loose, carefree game without getting blasted by the media. He'll get a lot of love from that team and the fans because he'll help make that team competitive again, similar to what it was like here the first few seasons.

We know all of the reasons why the Rangers do it. They free up cap space for top 6 reconfiguration, bolster the right side, and prioritize winning in the playoffs.

Had the same thought earlier this month, albeit on Twitter. Not sure if I mentioned it here or not, but it's probably worth phoning Anaheim to see how interested they are in the idea.

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

No way he waives to go to that bottom feeder cross country. I just don't see it. I think your points are valid though.

I think Toronto for Marner would be more fun to talk aboot. Team needs a new look trying to get over the hump. We need the RW help. Salaries pretty much wash.

The Rangers not only don't do it, but neither does Panarin.

There is no scenario where the Rangers are a better team by trading him. They aren't going to get worse on purpose, no matter what fan fantasies are out there. 

Any scenario suggested is a pipe dream. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers not only don't do it, but neither does Panarin.

There is no scenario where the Rangers are a better team by trading him. They aren't going to get worse on purpose, no matter what fan fantasies are out there. 

Any scenario suggested is a pipe dream. 

I mean, maybe, probably, but I don't think we can say this with certainty.

The Leafs are probably gonna "get worse on purpose" when they dump Marner this summer, or trade Nylander. If you can't win with what you got, you gotta do something, even if it means one step back to take two steps forward.

Any Panarin trade itself is probably trash, because you'll lose the best player in it by default, but the cap space that deal opens up and dramatically change the Rangers' prospects in the playoffs, which is what actually matters. Not regular season.

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, maybe, probably, but I don't think we can say this with certainty.

The Leafs are probably gonna "get worse on purpose" when they dump Marner this summer, or trade Nylander. If you can't win with what you got, you gotta do something, even if it means one step back to take two steps forward.

Any Panarin trade itself is probably trash, because you'll lose the best player in it by default, but the cap space that deal opens up and dramatically change the Rangers' prospects in the playoffs, which is what actually matters. Not regular season.

Leafs are on a different cycle than the Rangers. Rangers need to win with Shesty under contract because they can't afford his next one (nor should they pay a goalie +9M).

Nobody can say anything with certainty but it's as close to certain as it gets than Panarin is here this season. Another unsuccessful playoff run next season, with one less year and cap potentially going up, changes that landscape. 

Screenshot-2023-05-15-at-12-52-51-PM.png

Out: Panarin ($2M retained)

In: Bertuzzi, JVR (or similar cap hit player, plenty of options)

I'm taking this team over "running it back". It's deeper, has more size in the top 9, more cap flexibility to either do other stuff in UFA (e.g., drop Harpur, sign Mikkola) or at the deadline, stronger playoff style/performance in Bertuzzi over Panarin, probably a better fit for Trocheck too. JVR serves the role of quality winger who can contribute without being a blocker for Lafreniere or Othmann should they elevate to more prominent roles. One of my favorite pathways is to take this approach one step further by trading Goodrow, passing on JVR, and re-signing Tarasenko instead. There's just so many options that are freed up by trading one bad playoff player, and I don't even think it's that unrealistic for him to waive the ol' NMC.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Leafs are on a different cycle than the Rangers. Rangers need to win with Shesty under contract because they can't afford his next one (nor should they pay a goalie +9M).

Nobody can say anything with certainty but it's as close to certain as it gets than Panarin is here this season. Another unsuccessful playoff run next season, with one less year and cap potentially going up, changes that landscape. 

They're not. Leafs have to win in the next two years under Mathews. Same deal, different positions.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

They're not. Leafs have to win in the next two years under Mathews. Same deal, different positions.

He just came out and said he wants an extension today so it’s likely a longer window UNLESS Toronto doesn’t feel the same way. 

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

He just came out and said he wants an extension today so it’s likely a longer window UNLESS Toronto doesn’t feel the same way. 

They have to. His trade control kicks in July 1. There's no chance the Leafs move forward without certainty one way or another.

Just now, Pete said:

Then I don't see a world where they move Marner. Maybe Nylander. 

Well, the market is demanding a blood sacrifice, so it's almost certainly one of the two.

Friedman "wondered out loud" on latest 32 thoughts if Nylander is the guy because he might see TO as "I'm always gonna be fourth best here," but the market wants to crucify Marner outside their arena too, so...

We all understand that the make up of this team is that of a pretty soft bunch of guys. Right? 

There are some who want Panarin gone, because of this reason along with his cap hit. This is understandable. 

But why are guys like Zibanejad and Fox given a free pass? They're pretty soft themselves. I mean, if we want to change the chemical make up of the team, why not entertain moving these guys too? 

Its far out there and not likely........

Why not tear it all down now? Start gutting this team. There's not much they can add to this group, due to cap constraints. Do it now, while you can. Imagine what they could get in return for all these guys. Line yourself up for the next wave of UFAs or the next disgruntled player to fall in your lap. Maybe the window was never really open?  They rode a hot goalie and lucked into some injuries last season. They had an Allstar team this year and git dealt with pretty easily by a rookie goalie. 

The lack of coaching didn't help, but this team always plays down to its lowest competition. They're fragile. They're worse than soft. It's easy to get into their heads.

Maybe there IS one player and a coach that can really turn that around. I'm not confident that this core is really one to ride or die with though.

With what's actually/potentially available for this team to make a change or upgrade...... I don't think it's enough. It's going to take a special coach and maybe one special player to change this fragile bunch into that next level team. 

Probably an exaggeration and more or less thinking aloud here. 

• Keeps it 100 1

You don't trade a 25 year old blueliner who has won the Norris already and is in the conversation every year.  That's the Brad Park mistake.  We got arguably the best scorer in the NHL coming back the other way and the deal still failed.

Panarin has to be the sacrifice.  He is the most representative of the team's flaws at the moment and the highest cap hit and he's exiting his prime years.  We should all pray that Drury can find a deal for him now because he's going to be unmovable on performance/cap hit maybe as early as next year.

That was a really crappy 6 games in a row for him in the playoffs and it is unlikely to be an accident.

• Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

There are some who want Panarin gone, because of this reason along with his cap hit. This is understandable. 

But why are guys like Zibanejad and Fox given a free pass? They're pretty soft themselves. I mean, if we want to change the chemical make up of the team, why not entertain moving these guys too? 

The answer here is pretty obvious, no? One is a winger, one is a center and one is a D. One is 32 years old when the next season starts, one is 30 and one is 25. One makes 11.6m, one makes 8.5m and the last 9.5m. One has had two bad playoffs, the other two was our two best players last playoffs.

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

You don't trade a 25 year old blueliner who has won the Norris already and is in the conversation every year. 

Why not?

Teams trade Norris candidates all the time. 

Karlsson 

Burns

Hamilton and I'm sure there's more. 

There's going to come a time when this core needs to be blown up. Im wondering if that time is now... Why wait till everyone is at the end of their career and worth less in trade? 

Its not a realistic thought.  The Rangers are obviously going to keep going for it. Just food for thought. A conversation. 

29 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

The answer here is pretty obvious, no? One is a winger, one is a center and one is a D. One is 32 years old when the next season starts, one is 30 and one is 25. One makes 11.6m, one makes 8.5m and the last 9.5m. One has had two bad playoffs, the other two was our two best players last playoffs.

I'm not sure what makes any of their ages or positions an obvious answer. 

This core may need to go. They are all part of the core. They're your top 3 skaters. All are soft. The Rangers built a soft core. That's the actual answer.

Can't keep shuffling the 3rd and 4th line players in an effort to make the team gritty. You top players need to have that attribute.  

But again.  The likelihood of that happening is probably zero. They want to try to win. This is the team. Yay. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not sure what makes any of their ages or positions an obvious answer. 

This core may need to go. They are all part of the core. They're your top 3 skaters. All are soft. The Rangers built a soft core. That's the actual answer.

Can't keep shuffling the 3rd and 4th line players in an effort to make the team gritty. You top players need to have that attribute.  

But again.  The likelihood of that happening is probably zero. They want to try to win. This is the team. Yay. 

You want them to blow up the entire roster again, just two years after "the window opened" just so we can rebuild and maybe get another Kakko and Laf?

Trading Panarin actually make sense although it's very unlikely. Trading Zibanejad (and especially Fox) doesn't make sense. Trading away a 25y Norris winner because he tends to be a little soft? Are we trying to replicate the Islanders roster?