• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Tyler Motte From Senators for Julien Gauthier and a Conditional 7th Round Pick

Phil

I honestly think the best lines we can roll with are:

Panarin/Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko

Panarin/Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey

Motte-NEW GUY-Goodrow

Would be three really balanced lines, especially if Kreider aligns with Trocheck. No money to upgrade over Vesey on that 3rd line. The 4th line really is a cruncher whether it's Goodrow in the middle with Vesey on the right, or acquiring a Bonino-type. Motte is a much better fit for that style than Gauthier was. I consider it an upgrade. We don't need them to score, just to prevent goals. And Motte PKs.

Edited by Cash or Czech

44 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I honestly think the best lines we can roll with are:

Panarin/Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko

Panarin/Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey

Motte-NEW GUY-Goodrow

Would be three really balanced lines, especially if Kreider aligns with Trocheck. No money to upgrade over Vesey on that 3rd line. The 4th line really is a cruncher whether it's Goodrow in the middle with Vesey on the right, or acquiring a Bonino-type. Motte is a much better fit for that style than Gauthier was. I consider it an upgrade. We don't need them to score, just to prevent goals. And Motte PKs.

Could also be 

Kreider-Zib-Tarasenko

Laf-Chytil-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-Kane

Motte-Goodrow-Vesey

Y'know....just sayin it can still happen.

• Believe 3

10 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Could also be 

Kreider-Zib-Tarasenko

Laf-Chytil-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-Kane

Motte-Goodrow-Vesey

LOL

It's gonna be-

Panarin-Zibanejad -Tarasenko 

Lafrenière- Chytil- Kakko 

Kreider- Trocheck- Domi

Vesey- Goodrow-Motte 

16 hours ago, The Dude said:

Only upgrade that matters is that Gallant will use him. Unlike Gauthier or Kravtsov, Gallant trusts him. This is a good thing.  It means we may see him have to use 4 lines. 

Motte is a solid PK guy though.

I'd rather have Gauthier along with Motte, but it wouldn't have mattered.  Gauthier wasn't going to get more opportunity than the tiny one he had received here. He'll get a better look with Ottawa. I don't think he fades into obscurity either. I really think this guy can be a top 6 NHL winger in the right circumstances. 

Move had to be made. I think both parties are better off this way. 

It's an upgrade in usage to a certain point, until Gallant uses him too much, which is definitely going to happen.

I didn't care about Gauthier getting more reps, at least this year. He was performing well as a 4th liner. He's big and fast, and is 100% the best at drawing penalties on the team. The argument has always been he doesn't finish chances, yet he was pacing 12 goals on 8 minutes a game on 16% shooting. I think they've lost a valuable piece for this season, and I'd much prefer to have added Motte to Goodrow and Gauthier on the 4th. Or even having Gauthier as a non-regular in the playoffs, as an extra for needed depth in event of injury would have been invaluable. I'll remind everyone of this when a top 9er gets banged up in the playoffs and misses games, Goodrow moves up, and they inject Gettinger or Carpenter on the 4th.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's an upgrade in usage to a certain point, until Gallant uses him too much, which is definitely going to happen.

I didn't care about Gauthier getting more reps, at least this year. He was performing well as a 4th liner. He's big and fast, and is 100% the best at drawing penalties on the team. The argument has always been he doesn't finish chances, yet he was pacing 12 goals on 8 minutes a game on 16% shooting. I think they've lost a valuable piece for this season, and I'd much prefer to have added Motte to Goodrow and Gauthier on the 4th. Or even having Gauthier as a non-regular in the playoffs, as an extra for needed depth in event of injury would have been invaluable. I'll remind everyone of this when a top 9er gets banged up in the playoffs and misses games, Goodrow moves up, and they inject Gettinger or Carpenter on the 4th.

Here's the problem with pace for inconsistent 4th liners.  He was pacing a 20 goal season through his first 14 games (4 in 14).  In the 26 games since he's pacing a 6 goal season (2 in 26).

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If you're going to have Gallant overusing a fourth liner, do you want him overusing Ryan Carpenter, Jake Leschychyn, Julien Gauthier, or Tyler Motte?

You're not changing that particular quirk of Gallant's, so you need to maximize the output on the ice when he plays that tendency. Tyler Motte gives us the best chance to escape that shift with no damage on the scoreboard, gives us the best chance to escape that shift in control of the puck, gives us the best chance to have had sustained offensive pressure, and oddly enough, is one of the few players better than Julien Gauthier at drawing penalties.

Next, you need to take away his last fourth line toy in Leschychyn - and even Gallant knew that he was shit last game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That's a good point. He did that last season with Motte. He was sliding him up quite a bit if I remember correctly. Only solution is to go and get another RW, pushing Motte, Vesey and even Goodrow down the depth chart,  to ensure the next man up (after an injury) isn't Gettinger. 

I can't say enough about Domi being a good fit. What's needed, the cap hit and the cost in trade is right there. Can plug him in just about anywhere and he can be of use. The ability to play C if needed is a help. 

You don't have to tell me how Gauthier should have been or could have been used. The fact he wasn't slotted up before they got Tarasenko says a bit. They were desperate for a RW that could do anything and kept pushing Goodrow and Vesey up while he sat. Even Kravtsov got opportunities.

For some reason Gallant had no interest in giving Gauthier a chance to take that next step. I dunno, maybe he's a douche. Maybe he's a complainer. He passed the eye test in games IMO. A guy that generates his own scoring chances is always better than a guy who does nothing. The other guys on the roster can PK. I guess that's where he falter. Then again... he was pretty good at creating turn overs. I don't recall him being tried on the PK. 

The Gauthier argument is valid only as a hypothetical. Gallant SHOULD use him as that depth player that can slot into the top 9 because he’s effective and earned it. He doesn’t though. Because he doesn’t, having motte on the roster makes a lot more sense. 

i still think we come out losers here eventually when Gauthier starts pacing 40 points with regular play. But for the future in this team he doesn’t have a spot 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The Gauthier argument is valid only as a hypothetical. Gallant SHOULD use him as that depth player that can slot into the top 9 because he’s effective and earned it. He doesn’t though. Because he doesn’t, having motte on the roster makes a lot more sense. 

i still think we come out losers here eventually when Gauthier starts pacing 40 points with regular play. But for the future in this team he doesn’t have a spot 

Maybe, like Duclair.  When he's on his 6th team.  There is no losers eventually.  GM's of contenders can't think that way.  This move makes the team, a team that went to the conference finals last year, better equipped for another long playoff run.  Whatever Gauthier eventually turns into is irrelevant.  If he does start scoring 40 points they wouldn't be able to afford him anyway.  He's gonna be 26 next year, at this point if you keep waiting for him to break out he'd be blocking younger kids from the roster. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

16 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Could also be 

Kreider-Zib-Tarasenko

Laf-Chytil-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-Kane

Motte-Goodrow-Vesey

That lineup is a fantasy.  Any line that Panarin is on that is not line 1 is line 2 by definition.

21 hours ago, siddious said:

I have to be honest I don’t remember motte being as good as some of you do. I get that for a defensive player “not noticing” them is usually a good thing but he was just a guy I barely remember being on the team. 

WITH THAT SAID…. Gallant may have sucked at playing Gauthier but let’s not act like over the years that he was here he didn’t get multiple chances to prove he could do more than drive the net (unsuccessfully). 

a failed top 6 guy for a legit bottom 6 guy on a team that doesn’t need any more top 6 guys, and desperately needs good bottom 6 guys is a successful swap any way you put it.

I thought motte was on a 2 yr deal but I guess he’s not. Oh well. 

than drive the net (unsuccessfully).