• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Tyler Motte From Senators for Julien Gauthier and a Conditional 7th Round Pick

Phil

• LindG1000 changed the title to Rangers Acquire Tyler Motte From Senators for Julien Gauthier and a Conditional 7th Round Pick
3 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Am I the only one who feels like he singlehandedly changed the complexion of this team when he came back in the playoffs? I personally loved him and was heartbroken when we lost him. Really wanted to find a way to make the salary work at the time.

Baller fourth line though now. We're all in, baby. 

Imagine Kreider with Mottes grit

• JIMMY! 1

23 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Am I the only one who feels like he singlehandedly changed the complexion of this team when he came back in the playoffs? I personally loved him and was heartbroken when we lost him. Really wanted to find a way to make the salary work at the time.

Baller fourth line though now. We're all in, baby. 

I really wanted them to dump Reaves and Gauthier in the offseason and keep him, but I'll take this. They probably just needed to dump Reaves to keep him anyway, but whatever, something like that should've happened.

He was a buzzsaw on the fourth line for us last year. I'm glad he's back.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

By the way, Motte eats almost double against cap that Gauthier did. So you’ve:

1) Not improved the depth on the roster. You’ve just swapped “meh” spare part 1 for “meh” spare part 2.

2) You’ve further reduced cap flexibility at deadline. The Kane dream is officially dead I believe.

Gross move boys. No sugarcoating it.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I happen to think Goat to Motte is a downgrade, but let’s assume wash or slight upgrade for a second. This does nothing for depth. All you’ve done is swap one depth piece for another. The objective is to add depth. This doesn’t accomplish that.

They removed a player who's not defensively responsible for one who is. It's a step in the right direction. 

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

1) Not improved the depth on the roster. You’ve just swapped “meh” spare part 1 for “meh” spare part 2.

2) You’ve further reduced cap flexibility at deadline. Motte cap counts almost double Gauthier’s cap. The Kane dream is officially dead I believe.

At this point between now and the deadline you're talking about a couple hundred thousand dollars.

It's a non-issue. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Keirik said:

@Phil or @LindG1000 still learning the ropes. I merged another thread into this and it changed the title. Can you re-fix the title? Thanks 

You merged them backwards.  You need to copy the link from the thread that you want to disappear.  Hit Moderation Actions in the thread you want to stay and click merge in that thread.  Paste the link from the thread that you want to disappear.  Voila.  🍻

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You merged them backwards.  You need to copy the link from the thread that you want to disappear.  Hit Moderation Actions in the thread you want to stay and click merge in that thread.  Paste the link from the thread that you want to disappear.  Voila.  🍻

The Daily Show Reaction GIF by Comedy Central

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Thanks. Yeah I did it backwards. 

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

2) You’ve further reduced cap flexibility at deadline. The Kane dream is officially dead I believe.

Eh. I don't think that's true. Motte and Gauthier are a wash except in three very key areas:

1 - Motte is a far better penalty killer. 

2 - Motte is far better at forechecking

3 - Gauthier is a far bigger player

Motte's a sparkplug. Better fit for our lineup and our needs.

43 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Hopefully offloading Loosechicken can help the dream.  If they can waive him and he's claimed then they should be golden.  If he isn't claimed and he can be sent to Hartford then I believe the max that can take off the NHL cap is then $500K correct?  That will help along with whatever else would go the other way.  Or include him in the deal.  
Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by SaveByRichter35

56 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I happen to think Goat to Motte is a downgrade, but let’s assume wash or slight upgrade for a second. This does nothing for depth. All you’ve done is swap one depth piece for another. The objective is to add depth. This doesn’t accomplish that.

Scoring depth? Possession depth? Random depth? I thought the objective was to improve the 4th line as a disruptive, forechecking, defense oriented unit. Telling stats: Motte has a TOI of 515 min to Goat's 339, but Motte has 43 blocked shots to Goat's 7 - and that's regular season for fucking dead end Ottawa, no less. 18 takeaways to Goat's 6. If I'm under siege in game 7, I want Motte.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 2