• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Tyler Motte From Senators for Julien Gauthier and a Conditional 7th Round Pick

Phil

12 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Scoring depth, possession depth, random depth? I thought the objective was to improve the 4th line as a disruptive, forechecking, defense oriented unit. Telling stat: Motte has a TOI of 515 min to Goat's 339, but Motte has 43 blocked shots to Goat's 7 - and that's fucking regular season. If I'm under siege in game 7, I want Motte.

Fine. Me too. But if I’m down by 1 or 2 and my top guys are struggling to generate chances, which happened a lot against Tampa, I want Gauthier’s size and speed against the opposition’s 3rd pairing.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Fine. Me too. But if I’m down by 1 or 2 and my top guys are struggling to generate chances, which happened a lot against Tampa, I want Gauthier’s size and speed against the opposition’s 3rd pairing.

BUT... you and I have a better chance of getting a shift than Gauthier down 1 or 2 goals in a playoff game. 

• Bullseye 1

46 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hopefully offloading Loosechicken can help the dream.  If they can waive him and he's claimed then they should be golden.  If he isn't claimed and he can be sent to Hartford then I believe the max that can take off the NHL cap is then $500K correct?  That will help along with whatever else would go the other way.  Or include him in the deal.  
Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

They need a C if they offload Leshitstain, since they don’t seem to want Goodrow there. So if he moves out, his salary is getting replaced by another C.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Which top guys? Zib, Panarin, Kreider, Tarasenko? Kid Line even? In what universe would you think Goat could do better? Gallant has certainly never thought of him that way. Dude has 6 goals and 9 pts in 38 games this season, by leaps and bounds his best showing as a Ranger. Game- changer is not among the terms that pop into my head when I think of him.

Again, Motte has about a 60% higher TOI this season, but they have the same number of points. We're not talking about a meaningful offensive difference here.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They need a C if they offload Leshitstain, since they don’t seem to want Goodrow there. So if he moves out, his salary is getting replaced by another C.

Isn't Motte a C?  Or at least he can take draws.  Wasn't he the 4C last season when he wasn't injured?

Edited by SaveByRichter35

35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Isn't Motte a C?  Or at least he can take draws.  Wasn't he the 4C last season when he wasn't injured?

He’s taken 124 faceoffs in 8 seasons and 300 games. I know he’s listed as a C in some places, but he plays wing. I assume he’ll play LW here like he did last year, and Goodrow slides to the right. Or if Meathead was smart, he’d punt Leshitstain to the curb and go Motte-Goodrow-Krav to get Krav some reps even if it’s 4th line reps. I don’t think every 4th line player has to be a gritty mucker.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s taken 124 faceoffs in 8 seasons and 300 games. I know he’s listed as a C in some places, but he plays wing. I assume he’ll play LW here like he did last year, and Goodrow slides to the right. Or if Meathead was smart, he’d punt Leshitstain to the curb and go Motte-Goodrow-Krav to get Krav some reps even if it’s 4th line reps. I don’t think every 4th line player has to be a gritty mucker.

Or Goodrow can take the draws and then they switch. 

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I really wanted them to dump Reaves and Gauthier in the offseason and keep him, but I'll take this. They probably just needed to dump Reaves to keep him anyway, but whatever, something like that should've happened.

He was a buzzsaw on the fourth line for us last year. I'm glad he's back.

All they really had to do was not sign Carpenter. I wanted Motte back pretty badly. I even suggested walking away from Gauthier to do so ( I must have been in a bad mood), but he (Gauthier) was the first player resigned in the offseason. 

I knew they'd wind up having to trade for him again. I think I said so over the summer. 

I figured Gauthier would be fazed out of playing time any day now. Just like last season. I really thought he improved and deserved more looks, but Motte brings a bit more of what's missing to the roster.

I just really really hope Leschyshyn isn't in the plans. You'd think they would waive him and play Kravtsov,  just to accumulate more cap space. Since he's playing every day,  I fear Gallant sees him as some kind of defensive wiz. 

I'd prefer seeing  Vesey- Goodrow-Motte as the 4th line and going after Domi or even Kane if at all possible.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

All they really had to do was not sign Carpenter. I wanted Motte back pretty badly. I even suggested walking away from Gauthier to do so ( I must have been in a bad mood), but he (Gauthier) was the first player resigned in the offseason. 

I knew they'd wind up having to trade for him again. I think I said so over the summer. 

I figured Gauthier would be fazed out of playing time any day now. Just like last season. I really thought he improved and deserved more looks, but Motte brings a bit more of what's missing to the roster.

I just really really hope Leschyshyn isn't in the plans. You'd think they would waive him and play Kravtsov,  just to accumulate more cap space. Since he's playing every day,  I fear Gallant sees him as some kind of defensive wiz. 

I'd prefer seeing  Vesey- Goodrow-Motte as the 4th line and going after Domi or even Kane if at all possible.  

I completely forgot about Carpenter. LOL Yes, not signing him would've been a plus.

Gauthier was better this year, but he was never going for get better here anyway. If he goes to Ottawa and does better, good for him. It wasn't happening here. There's no way Leschyshyn should be on this team anymore in any way. He's completely useless other than the occasional face-off win. You cannot have him be a regular in the postseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

By the way, Motte eats almost double against cap that Gauthier did. So you’ve:

1) Not improved the depth on the roster. You’ve just swapped “meh” spare part 1 for “meh” spare part 2.

2) You’ve further reduced cap flexibility at deadline. The Kane dream is officially dead I believe.

Gross move boys. No sugarcoating it.

Only upgrade that matters is that Gallant will use him. Unlike Gauthier or Kravtsov, Gallant trusts him. This is a good thing.  It means we may see him have to use 4 lines. 

Motte is a solid PK guy though.

I'd rather have Gauthier along with Motte, but it wouldn't have mattered.  Gauthier wasn't going to get more opportunity than the tiny one he had received here. He'll get a better look with Ottawa. I don't think he fades into obscurity either. I really think this guy can be a top 6 NHL winger in the right circumstances. 

Move had to be made. I think both parties are better off this way. 

I have to be honest I don’t remember motte being as good as some of you do. I get that for a defensive player “not noticing” them is usually a good thing but he was just a guy I barely remember being on the team. 

WITH THAT SAID…. Gallant may have sucked at playing Gauthier but let’s not act like over the years that he was here he didn’t get multiple chances to prove he could do more than drive the net (unsuccessfully). 

a failed top 6 guy for a legit bottom 6 guy on a team that doesn’t need any more top 6 guys, and desperately needs good bottom 6 guys is a successful swap any way you put it.

I thought motte was on a 2 yr deal but I guess he’s not. Oh well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have to be honest I don’t remember motte being as good as some of you do. I get that for a defensive player “not noticing” them is usually a good thing but he was just a guy I barely remember being on the team. 

WITH THAT SAID…. Gallant may have sucked at playing Gauthier but let’s not act like over the years that he was here he didn’t get multiple chances to prove he could do more than drive the net (unsuccessfully). 

a failed top 6 guy for a legit bottom 6 guy on a team that doesn’t need any more top 6 guys, and desperately needs good bottom 6 guys is a successful swap any way you put it.

I thought motte was on a 2 yr deal but I guess he’s not. Oh well. 

I dunno. I think I remember 8 shifts where Gauthier got a sniff in the top 6 over the last 3 seasons. I wouldn't call that an opportunity. I mean,  Dryden Hunt did absolutely nothing and stayed on Panarins wing for 3/4 of last season. He has 3 less goals than Vesey in less than half the icetime (776 -14:07, vs 334 -8:21) ,  with much worse linemates. Let's not act like he's been given any actual chance.  Gallant wasted this guy.

But, what ever. Now they have a piece Gallant will give around 10-12 minutes a night. Guy is a buzzsaw. Glad they got a player I like for the player I liked. Different animals is all.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I dunno. I think I remember 8 shifts where Gauthier got a sniff in the top 6 over the last 3 seasons. I wouldn't call that an opportunity. I mean,  Dryden Hunt did absolutely nothing and stayed on Panarins wing for 3/4 of last season. He has 3 less goals than Vesey in less than half the icetime (776 -14:07, vs 334 -8:21) ,  with much worse linemates. Let's not act like he's been given any actual chance.  Gallant wasted this guy.

But, what ever. Now they have a piece Gallant will give around 10-12 minutes a night. Guy is a buzzsaw. Glad they got a player I like for the player I liked. Different animals is all.

Thing is it’s hard to promote a guy who doesn’t do anything. It’s why Laf isn’t on the first line right now either.

either way.. this is a better team today than they were yesterday. 

Gauthier had plenty of chances here but it’s a shame bc the talent was always there he just never it it all together.

this is obviously a great move on paper but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the rangers come out as losers on this one. Could very easily have no impact on our cup run and Gauthier could also easily find his game in Ottawa.

15 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Gauthier had plenty of chances here but it’s a shame bc the talent was always there he just never it it all together.

this is obviously a great move on paper but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the rangers come out as losers on this one. Could very easily have no impact on our cup run and Gauthier could also easily find his game in Ottawa.

He should

be happy to be getting a new chance some where else too.. he wasn’t getting too 6 minutes here.