• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023 NFL Thread

Blue Heaven

I have never in all of my life of watching the NFL seen a team completely collapse the way the Eagles did after that 10-1 start. Just a fucking disaster.

Now reports are out that Jason Kelce is retiring. He’s been the heart and soul of that team for as long as I could remember. Times are definitely changing in Philly. Going to be weird not having him there.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I have never in all of my life of watching the NFL seen a team completely collapse the way the Eagles did after that 10-1 start. Just a fucking disaster.

Now reports are out that Jason Kelce is retiring. He’s been the heart and soul of that team for as long as I could remember. Times are definitely changing in Philly. Going to be weird not having him there.

Epic fall off. Kelce probably knows there are rough days ahead and he won't see the promise land again in Philly and doesn't want to go try for it somewhere else. Guy was an awesome player, role model, spokesman; gunna be tough to replace him.

Philly was horrible last night. I'm assuming more sweeping changes are on the way.

I'm probably in the minority of people who really don't dislike the Cowboys. The Eagles on the other hand can fuck right off. A collapse of epic proportions that was glorious to watch. I'm happy for Mayfield, and low key want him to win it all, but I'm expecting a 2011 rematch with San Francisco and Baltimore. Now hopefully that dick Mahomes gets knocked out and next and I really don't care who wins. Although, I don't necessarily want Buffalo to win it all, either.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

One of the few Philadelphia athletes I can respect. He did formally announce his retirement this morning.

I'd guess that the demise of the Eagles is premature. Losing AJ Brown would hurt any team, and that playcalling was awful.

They're gonna have big cap space to fix the secondary and replace Kelce, among others. I'm not buying their demise just yet. Fire that OC, get healthy, get right, move on.

On 1/11/2024 at 11:09 AM, Br4d said:

Lots of good coaches getting fired and one really bad one who is bulletproof in NJ.

Another in Pittsburgh too. No playoff wins in like 8 years. Constantly squashed in the first round. Always backing into the playoffs. 

But people point to his "non losing seasons " record. Guy continually finishes just above .500 and misses the playoffs.  But it's deemed winning. 

The guy is a hack and was gifted a franchise QB and a Superbowl caliber team when Cowher left. Won a SB with that team,  then road the wave of mediocrity. I can't stand his word salad post game interviews and his habitual lack of discipline of every problem child he makes. 

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Another in Pittsburgh too. No playoff wins in like 8 years. Constantly squashed in the first round. Always backing into the playoffs. 

But people point to his "non losing seasons " record. Guy continually finishes just above .500 and misses the playoffs.  But it's deemed winning. 

The guy is a hack and was gifted a franchise QB and a Superbowl caliber team when Cowher left. Won a SB with that team,  then road the wave of mediocrity. I can't stand his word salad post game interviews and his habitual lack of discipline of every problem child he makes. 

This is what always happens to teams when they win a Super Bowl or two and have to pay the star QB and others.

Pete Carroll same thing in Seattle.  Mike McCarthy in Green Bay.  Tom Coughlin in NY.   It's just killer having to pay for the ring you just won.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

This is what always happens to teams when they win a Super Bowl or two and have to pay the star QB and others.

Pete Carroll same thing in Seattle.  Mike McCarthy in Green Bay.  Tom Coughlin in NY.   It's just killer having to pay for the ring you just won.

Difference being these coaches didn't hold the job for 18 years like Tomlin has. They were more successful in less time and built their winning teams. They all came from or have a coaching tree.

Tomlin hand picks his staff. Anyone that he has brought in,  has gone on to do nothing. Anywhere. We're not talking a 2-3 year overstay after an actual winning season.  It's going on 15 years since he actually won. 

• 1 month later...

Kirk Cousins managed to get paid again, 4 years 180 million, 100 guaranteed.

this time with the Falcons and considering that contract I am not all that sad to see him go.

Vikings already using the savings on Defense.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:59 PM, H-Dreamer said:

Kirk Cousins managed to get paid again, 4 years 180 million, 100 guaranteed.

this time with the Falcons and considering that contract I am not all that sad to see him go.

Vikings already using the savings on Defense.

Cousins is the poster boy for why you do not pay your QB like he's the only guy that matters on offense.

The NFL keeps doing this but the only guy who fits the definition is Mahomes and he's having to restructure every year so they can field a full team.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Cousins is the poster boy for why you do not pay your QB like he's the only guy that matters on offense.

The NFL keeps doing this but the only guy who fits the definition is Mahomes and he's having to restructure every year so they can field a full team.

Very much the point. This off-season feels like the Vikings are trying to turn back time by signing Defense and letting go Cousins, after they thought he was the missing piece in 2017. Funny enough they made the Championship game twice with the post-Culpepper QB-carousel, but only won one Playoff game with Kirk.

I wouldn't have minded him staying, but only at discount, he's 36 now, not that many years left for him anyway and the roster as it was with him wasn't making deep runs any time soon.

Gotta say though, it's hilarious how suddenly everyone and their uncle wants to pretend like they didn't shittalk Cousins during his whole time as a Viking. Suddenly he's good enough to turn the Falcons into contenders. lol

• Like 1

My Raiders re-signed Jacobs!  That's good!  I thought he was a goner.  I guess these guys really WANT to play for Antonio Pierce!

Crosby stayed

Devonte stayed and now Jacobs.

Oh please draft or sign a good QB....  Please?

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

My Raiders re-signed Jacobs!  That's good!  I thought he was a goner.  I guess these guys really WANT to play for Antonio Pierce!

Crosby stayed

Devonte stayed and now Jacobs.

Oh please draft or sign a good QB....  Please?

I thought Jacobs went to GB?

14 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I thought Jacobs went to GB?

Oh shit, you're right, Blue!  He did!  My mistake dude!  I read recently he was headed back to us...guess not!

I blame Antonio Pierce!!!  LOL

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

He'll be fine, Josh Palmer is good, Quentin Johnson as much as he sucked last year, he was still a rookie.  They are probably going to draft either Nabers, Odunze or Bowers.  Maybe they can re-sign Mike Williams, he had to be released to get under the cap, they were $25 million over.  Keenan Allen will be 32, and he's been hurt a lot the last couple of years so getting a 4th for him isnt so bad.  Draft is pretty deep this year. 

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

He'll be fine, Josh Palmer is good, Quentin Johnson as much as he sucked last year, he was still a rookie.  They are probably going to draft either Nabers, Odunze or Bowers.  Maybe they can re-sign Mike Williams, he had to be released to get under the cap, they were $25 million over.  Keenan Allen will be 32, and he's been hurt a lot the last couple of years so getting a 4th for him isnt so bad.  Draft is pretty deep this year. 

I don't share your optimism, my man. Allen may be older and a little injury-nagged, but there's not a more reliable receiver in the league. Going to QJ or Palmer, or even one of the draft eligibles - that's a downgrade no matter how you look at it. Williams, I can take or leave. He's all big plays, and I can see Palmer stepping into that spot just fine, but it ain't open unless you have threats elsewhere. 

Maybe Odunze or Nabers will step right in and make sense, but as of right now, it's Quentin Dropston, Josh Palmer who can't seem to be able to stay on the damn field, Derius Davis (low key, I'm excited about him, actually, but it takes time), swapping Gerald Everett for Will Dissly, swapping Ekeler for Gus the Bus?

This ain't pretty. Combine that with the fact that Harbaugh likes to build from the trenches out and you're left wondering here.