• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Trocheck at seven years sucks, but Trocheck is better than Stastny in literally every way imaginable. They're trying to win. Stop looking at year five, six, and seven. Those are issues to deal with when you get to them. All that matters is years one, two, or maybe three. That's their window.

In other words, who helps you win a Cup faster — Trocheck or Stastny? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is emphatically Trocheck.

Oh of course, but I’m not sure why Stastny is being compared to Trocheck here. At a 1x1.5M deal to be a veteran depth C, the comparison is really Stastny vs Ryan Carpenter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Oh of course, but I’m not sure why Stastny is being compared to Trocheck here. At a 1x1.5M deal to be a veteran depth C, the comparison is really Stastny vs Ryan Carpenter.

Oh, I guess, but there's no way Stastny is signing to be cast in a fourth-line role. If you wanted to talk about trading Chytil to bring in Stastny as a stop-gap, I'd have been all ears.

The Canes signed him as insurance if KK can't play 2C.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Oh, I guess, but there's no way Stastny is signing to be cast in a fourth-line role. If you wanted to talk about trading Chytil to bring in Stastny as a stop-gap, I'd have been all ears.

The Canes signed him as insurance if KK can't play 2C.

It’s not much different than the Rangers signing him as insurance for 2C injury or Chytil not performing at 3C. I dunno….seems his priority was moreso piggybacking onto a contender. If KK is fine then Stastny is a 4c there too. Tomato tohmahto

Edited by rmc51
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

It’s not much different than the Rangers signing him as insurance for 2C injury or Chytil not performing at 3C. I dunno….seems his priority was moreso piggybacking onto a contender. If KK is fine then Stastny is a 4c there too. Tomato tohmahto

Right, but KK is probably their fourth-line center. Whereas here, with Trocheck, Stastny is almost certainly ours.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

That's exactly it. Shesterkin's next deal is gonna be Vasilevskiy's, minimum. $9.5 million per.

Are we planning to pony up that cash? Thats alotta $$ for a goalie. Hope there is some thought in the front office in prep for that. 

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Depends if they win a Cup in the next three years, I'd think. They're already locked into so many guys at big dollars. It's certainly possible, but it's also possible they could just move on.

I was just talking to Ozzy about this today. I don’t see how we pay Vasy money for Shesty without gutting a bit of a team. Or a giant cap bump. Theoretically, when Shesty is up for a contract, we shouldn’t have to depend on 45+ save performances game in and game out so his importance kind of changes a bit. 

• Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Trocheck at seven years sucks, but Trocheck is better than Stastny in literally every way imaginable. They're trying to win. Stop looking at year five, six, and seven. Those are issues to deal with when you get to them. All that matters is years one, two, or maybe three. That's their window.

In other words, who helps you win a Cup faster — Trocheck or Stastny? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is emphatically Trocheck.

I think he meant in addition to Trocheck. I mean. Carpenter and Hunt... or Stastny. 

Is Stastny lining up in a top 6 role with Carolina? Thinking he's more of a depth guy that may not suit up every night. Certainly an option I'd lakie to have for the Rangers.   

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think he meant in addition to Trocheck. I mean. Carpenter and Hunt... or Stastny. 

Is Stastny lining up in a top 6 role with Carolina? Thinking he's more of a depth guy that may not suit up every night. Certainly an option I'd lakie to have for the Rangers.   

Very much so, I think. They're probably going to learn quickly that Kotkaniemi isn't a very good second-line center, and Stastny will buy them time.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Very much so, I think. They're probably going to learn quickly that Kotkaniemi isn't a very good second-line center, and Stastny will buy them time.

Not with that cap hit and not with the egg on their face if he doesn't get results. I think they ride or die with him in the middle 6. Staal will slide up and KK will slide down before you see Stastny slide all the way up to 2nd line. 

27 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I was just talking to Ozzy about this today. I don’t see how we pay Vasy money for Shesty without gutting a bit of a team. Or a giant cap bump. Theoretically, when Shesty is up for a contract, we shouldn’t have to depend on 45+ save performances game in and game out so his importance kind of changes a bit. 

They can't pay Shesty without moving 2-3 significant contracts. 

Frankly, they really need to take the idea of either letting him walk or trading him if they're out of any type of playoff race... Which they won't be. But you don't need a 10 million goalie to win in this league. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, Pete said:

Frankly, they really need to take the idea of either letting him walk or trading him if they're out of any type of playoff race... Which they won't be. But you don't need a 10 million goalie to win in this league. 

100% agreed. It would nearly be cap suicide. 

10 hours ago, Pete said:

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

100% agreed. It would nearly be cap suicide. 

Right on cue, homie!  Yup, me and the big man went over this like he said.  I agree.  The window on this puppy is 3 years with Shesty.  By the time those 3 years are up, I'm thinking we focus on winning games without needing constant "heroics" in net.

...Kinda just echoing what you guys said, but I would really rather not have to spend 10 million on a goalie. 

Hey Big man, @Keirik, other than Vassy, is there any other $9 million dollar goalie's team that's won it all?  I can't think of any. 

Edited by Ozzy

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Right on cue, homie!  Yup, me and the big man went over this like he said.  I agree.  The window on this puppy is 3 years with Shesty.  By the time those 3 years are up, I'm thinking we focus on winning games without needing constant "heroics" in net.

...Kinda just echoing what you guys said, but I would really rather not have to spend 10 million on a goalie. 

Hey Big man, @Keirik, other than Vassy, is there any other $9 million dollar goalie's team that's won it all?  I can't think of any. 

The Range.....oh wait.  Montrea.....oh wait.  Florid....oh wait.  Nashvil....oh wait.  Nope.  Can't think of any.

• Bullseye 1

We really do have to win a cup in the next three years with Igor's contract being what it is. 

WIth that said, who knows what the cap will look like by then, or what the landscape will be. And as much as history has lately shown that teams with that much tied up in goaltending don't win, it's also kind of impossible to let a goalie like Igor walk (unless Garand also turns into an MVP quality goalie or at least close enough to make the cost savings worth it by then).

Lets just say that Garand turns out to be a good goalie and is worth Igor's current contract value at that point.

Does the $3.33 million (also assuming Igor goes for $9 million) in cap savings allow you to be a better team than you would be with Igor and not using that money on another roster spot? 

I think the Big man and Pete, have the right take on this one;

In three years this defense core, and especially these kids we're developing should be at the point where they are pretty air tight and defensively sound, where we're not giving up these glaring scoring chances that Igor has to wear and "S" on his chest to stop and keep us in the game.

I'm hoping we don't need a superhero in net to win the cup.  Yeah it's fabulous we have Igor for 3 more kicks at the can, but I'd rather see that cap money better spent on scoring, defense and harder, faster checking.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think the Big man and Pete, have the right take on this one;

In three years this defense core, and especially these kids we're developing should be at the point where they are pretty air tight and defensively sound, where we're not giving up these glaring scoring chances that Igor has to wear and "S" on his chest to stop and keep us in the game.

I'm hoping we don't need a superhero in net to win the cup.  Yeah it's fabulous we have Igor for 3 more kicks at the can, but I'd rather see that cap money better spent on scoring, defense and harder, faster checking.

Agreed but we also can't put Mike Dunham and Kevin Weekes in net for the following cup runs if this team is primed to go for it. 4-6 mil would be my hopes to fill that role. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Agreed but we also can't put Mike Dunham and Kevin Weekes in net for the following cup runs if this team is primed to go for it. 4-6 mil would be my hopes to fill that role. 

Oh Agreed 100%...We're not putting a Georgiev in there and hoping he wins us the Cup.  I hear ya, JSM....but I think a $5 million dollar type goalie can do us some serious damage in the playoffs.