• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

5 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

No disagreement there. I've always favored Jones over Lundkvist.

My point is it seems to go against Jones' character to have a problem with attending rookie camp. He attended rookie camp last year despite his cup of coffee with the big club. He also said this last year about being demoted:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/10/04/ny-rangers-training-camp-zac-jones-holding-out-hope-nhl-spot/5980355001/

It behooves him to not put up any fuss. More ice time in rookie camp is a greater opportunity to showcase his skills for a spot that's his to lose.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

He was already better the day he signed and was put onto the NHL roster for a look- see.  From the little I have seen of Lundkvist,  I am really not that impressed and don't get the hype. Jones has a little bit better vision and has a game breaker type feel to him when he has confidence . I trust his decision making with the puck on both sides of the ice. 

Then again.  I root for #15. 

I thought last year Jones really didn’t look that bad with Schneider at all but it seems GG doesn’t like two limited experience D for a third pair. I’m hoping he gives it another go this coming year.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This is great attitude. Assuming his play keeps up, this kind of thing could give him an inside track with management.

I know gallant wants a vet there with Schneider but to start the year I don’t see why not. If it doesn’t work then change it up but I really don’t see how putting tinordi or someone like that makes the team better anyway. 

7 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He's saying all the right things.  I really like this kid. He's taking advantage of the opportunity by getting into shape. Sadly I'm not sure he stays with the Rangers long.

There's no spot for him. He's got potential to be more than a 3rd pairing guy. I'd love to keep him there forever. I'd imagine he wants a bigger role than what's available to him here. Good on him to try to boost his value and get on the coaches good side, by doing something he shouldn't have to do at this point. Sets a good example. 

44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's saying all the right things.  I really like this kid. He's taking advantage of the opportunity by getting into shape. Sadly I'm not sure he stays with the Rangers long.

There's no spot for him. He's got potential to be more than a 3rd pairing guy. I'd love to keep him there forever. I'd imagine he wants a bigger role than what's available to him here. Good on him to try to boost his value and get on the coaches good side, by doing something he shouldn't have to do at this point. Sets a good example. 

Quite the breath of fresh air compared to the pomp shown by a few unproven fellas around these parts recently. Way to go Zac!

If we end up up playing some has been (or never was) over Zac on the third pair and we end up losing him, we will regret it.  It might be one thing if we were playing a Justin Braun in that spot, but he was too expensive, and we're just not going to get a sufficient veteran at what we can pay.

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

If we end up up playing some has been (or never was) over Zac on the third pair and we end up losing him, we will regret it.  It might be one thing if we were playing a Justin Braun in that spot, but he was too expensive, and we're just not going to get a sufficient veteran at what we can pay.

I mean....does it really make a difference if it is a 33 yo fringe NHLer or a 21 yo guy breaking into his career making the mistakes?

If Zac Jones makes the team we are: 1. Developing a promising prospect.

2. Showcasing a prospect for the deadline if he has no future here.

3. Giving a chance to a kid with the right mindset to show how hardwork and doing the right things pays off in this org.

To me, it is a no brainer. The kid showed he was capable last year. Let him take the next step. Zac Jones for the opening night roster. Hell....as long as he doesn't pull a Lias Anderson on opening night then he will still be trending in the right direction at puck drop.

• Bullseye 1

Jones absolutely does have a place on this team. 

Reality is that we can't afford Lindgren's next contract as well as Miller's next contract. 

Miller can slide up and play next to Fox, and if Trouba is making what he makes with a letter on his chest the reality is he needs to be able to carry a younger player like Jones. He did it for Miller, he can do it again. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 3
  • Bullseye 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Jones absolutely does have a place on this team. 

Reality is that we can't afford Lindgren's next contract as well as Miller's next contract. 

Miller can slide up and play next to Fox, and if Trouba is making what he makes with a letter on his chest the reality is he needs to be able to carry a younger player like Jones. He did it for Miller, he can do it again. 

Exactly.  We probably cannot afford both Lindgren and Miller, so we should not be losing a good young defenseman like Jones when a larger role for him may well open up in a year or two.  Jones had a couple of weak games (what rookie doesn't?) but he was good far more often than not.  He was worlds better than Lundquist.  Just give him some ice.  We can always get a vet at the deadline if it's not really working.

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Miller would be redundant to fox. We don't have a redundancy for Lindgren. I love Miller and don't wanna see him go but when you think of a real legit hockey trade, think of the haul we could get for him for a position of glaring need.

I don’t think Miller is anything like Fox, but I agree with the rest of the post. If the Rangers don’t trade Trouba, and that’s not happening after he got the C, they don’t have the money to pay Miller the money he’ll want/get anyway. I don’t see how they trade Lindgren to save $3M just to pay Miller $4-5M when they’ve got $17M tied up in two other defensemen already. The game is won up front at forward and with sound team defensive play. They have to get away from committing too much more $ on the blueline. The money has to go up front. Lafreniere, possibly Kravtsov and/or Chytil, etc.

Lindgren is a flat out better defender than Miller anyway, and the age gap isn’t significant. I think you are correct that Miller would return a haul.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Miller would be redundant to fox. We don't have a redundancy for Lindgren. I love Miller and don't wanna see him go but when you think of a real legit hockey trade, think of the haul we could get for him for a position of glaring need.

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I don’t think Miller is anything like Fox, but I agree with the rest of the post. If the Rangers don’t trade Trouba, and that’s not happening after he got the C, they don’t have the money to pay Miller the money he’ll want/get anyway. I don’t see how they trade Lindgren to save $3M just to pay Miller $4-5M when they’ve got $17M tied up in two other defensemen already. The game is won up front at forward and with sound team defensive play. They have to get away from committing too much more $ on the blueline. The money has to go up front. Lafreniere, possibly Kravtsov and/or Chytil, etc.

Lindgren is a flat out better defender than Miller anyway, and the age gap isn’t significant. I think you are correct that Miller would return a haul.

Miller and Fox play completely different roles and I love Lindgren but don't have faith in his durability.

Lindgren is not a guy you want past 28 or so.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Trouba and Schneider.

Miller actually had more hits than Lindgren, who ranked 5th on the team in hits/60

And Goodrow has been filling the get-beat-up quota just fine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Miller and Fox play completely different roles and I love Lindgren but don't have faith in his durability.

Lindgren is not a guy you want past 28 or so.

Yup, I agree on the estimated timeline, but ultimately that timeline of usefulness coincides with the Rangers’ Shesterkin-window, and he should remain pretty affordable. His warrior mentality on ice shouldn’t be underestimated, especially in the playoffs, with respect to setting a tone or being an inspiration for teammates to “sacrifice more”.

There’s also probably going to be a major discrepancy in what the players are worth on the trade market and what the Rangers need after this season. It might be made known that the Rangers need to make a serious play at RW as a lot rides on the shoulders lf Lafreniere (if he switches)/Kakko/Kravtsov, so if they don’t get the production there they can’t just sit around. Miller is the shiny toy due to raw talent and ability…he can get the most on the trade market to fill such a hole up front. He also might make it evident he’s an actual stud you just don’t trade. We’ll see I guess.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Yup, I agree on the estimated timeline, but ultimately that timeline of usefulness coincides with the Rangers’ Shesterkin-window, and he should remain pretty affordable. His warrior mentality on ice shouldn’t be underestimated, especially in the playoffs, with respect to setting a tone or being an inspiration for teammates to “sacrifice more”.

There’s also probably going to be a major discrepancy in what the players are worth on the trade market and what the Rangers need after this season. It might be made known that the Rangers need to make a serious play at RW as a lot rides on the shoulders lf Lafreniere (if he switches)/Kakko/Kravtsov, so if they don’t get the production there they can’t just sit around. Miller is the shiny toy due to raw talent and ability…he can get the most on the trade market to fill such a hole up front. He also might make it evident he’s an actual stud you just don’t trade. We’ll see I guess.

I love Lindgren but if Miller figures out rotations in his own D zone there's just no way Lingren is more valuable. Miller is already in the elite class of defending zone entries off the rush. He'd instantly be a top 10 well rounded defenseman. 

Lindgren's warrior mentality also sits with Goodrow, Trouba, Schneider. Maybe Lafreniere grows into that. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

I love Lindgren but if Miller figures out rotations in his own D zone there's just no way Lingren is more valuable. Miller is already in the elite class of defending zone entries off the rush. He'd instantly be a top 10 well rounded defenseman. 

Lindgren's warrior mentality also sits with Goodrow, Trouba, Schneider. Maybe Lafreniere grows into that. 

Yeah, nothing against Lindgren, either. Plus he's toast in a few years with how he plays.

BUUUUUTTTT, Lindgren is (and was when re-signed) the better player. And I don't see Miller getting more than him without a significant jump in play, especially consistency.

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke