• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

No, it isn't, especially for a player like Brassard, who isn't remotely healthy.

But... it is..

They need a different/better option than Chytil and Hunt. Wouldn't take much to improve on them. 

I know you don't like him, but Domi is an upgrade on either one. The more I think about it,  the cost and the versatility of Domi is really a good fit for either spot. Grab him now and start the domino effect. He's either your 3rd line center or one of your top 6 RWs on lines that require more skill/ output than Kakko, Hunt and Goodrow... Then go for Pavelski or Giroux or whomever 

Kreider- Zibanejad- Kakko/Domi/Pavelski or Giroux 

Panarin- Strome- Kakko/Domi/Pavelski or Giroux/Goodrow 

Lafreniere- Pavelski/Domi- Gauthier/Goodrow/Domi/Pavelski or Giroux

Rooney/Goodrow-  Goodrow/Rooney- Reaves/Gauthier 

I'd rather 2 options for both needs. If Pavelski or Giroux need more icetime to be themselves, they land in the top six and Domi plays 3C. Works both ways. 

The bar should be set at just improving over what they have.  

Edited by The Dude

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But... it is..

They need a different/better option than Chytil and Hunt. Wouldn't take much to improve on them. 

I know you don't like him, but Domi is an upgrade on either one. The more I think about it,  the cost and the versatility of Domi is really a good fit for either spot. Grab him now and start the domino effect. He's either your 3rd line center or one of your top 6 RWs on lines that require more skill/ output than Kakko, Hunt and Goodrow... Then go for Pavelski or Giroux or whomever 

Kreider- Zibanejad- Kakko/Domi/Pavelski 

Panarin- Strome- Kakko/Domi/Pavelski/Goodrow 

Lafreniere- Pavelski/Domi- Gauthier/Goodrow/Domi/Pavelski

Rooney/Goodrow-  Goodrow/Rooney- Reaves/Gauthier 

The bar should be set at just improving over what they have.  

Man I appreciate your passion, but Brassard is absolutely broken at this point. He's not an upgrade over Chytil, doubly so since he's been dealing with a pretty serious hip issue. Domi isn't either; CBJ finally figured out that he needs protected minutes and special teams time to be remotely effective and they're doing exactly that. Both of those are moves for moves sake and do nothing for the betterment of the team.

The bar isn't "improve on what we have", it's "get to the point where we can skate with Carolina/Florida/Tampa for 7 games and think we've got a real shot at winning". This isn't last call at a dive bar in the rust belt where you start making some compromises on your standards. We're crushing 10s, not three 3s and saying we got a 9.

• Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Man I appreciate your passion, but Brassard is absolutely broken at this point. He's not an upgrade over Chytil, doubly so since he's been dealing with a pretty serious hip issue. Domi isn't either; CBJ finally figured out that he needs protected minutes and special teams time to be remotely effective and they're doing exactly that. Both of those are moves for moves sake and do nothing for the betterment of the team.

The bar isn't "improve on what we have", it's "get to the point where we can skate with Carolina/Florida/Tampa for 7 games and think we've got a real shot at winning". This isn't last call at a dive bar in the rust belt where you start making some compromises on your standards. We're crushing 10s, not three 3s and saying we got a 9.

Meh. Domi AND Giroux or Pavelski is what I'm talking about  for the most part.

The cost of Domi would be miniscule. That's the selling point. He's absolutely an upgrade on Chytil and Hunt. That's the starting point.

I say bar as meaning the minimum expectations. I don't think it has to come down to all or nothing. I think it's all or whatever is reasonable. 

If Dallas, Philly or Vegas want 3 top prospects and a pick, for one player, I'm not doing it. Then next level down would be Kessel. If Arizona wants anything significant, I walk away. What next? 

I think you have to make an improvement before the teams looking to cash in on their big names start thinking youre desperate. Get a middle of the road guy like Domi, who is an improvement (come on... Hunt? Seriously) at atleast one spot if not 2 (Chytil??), then play the cards. 

With such big and significant question marks lying over the future 2C/3C starting next season, and managing cap while trying to hold on to some of our young talent...I don't see how we can afford to make any move for this seasons run unless it also helps address those questions.

Copp would be a very good get. Namestnikov, too. Underrated targets.

The issue I have here is on D. Giordano and Chiarot are going to command firsts, and likely aren't worth them. Luke Schenn feels more appropriate to bump Jones out and add muscle and experience (30+ playoff games).

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Lafreniere and Kakko both in the top 6 is probably giving you a much lower percentage at doing damage in the playoffs than getting a more capable option in at least one of those spots. Can’t say I’m a fan of the approach. Feels like pissing away an opportunity to win.

Goodrow-Copp-Kakko would be a bitch to play against.

Reilly Smith in top 6.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Lafreniere and Kakko both in the top 6 is probably giving you a much lower percentage at doing damage in the playoffs than getting a more capable option in at least one of those spots. Can’t say I’m a fan of the approach. Feels like pissing away an opportunity to win.

I think that's the conventional wisdom, and generally, I'm with you. It is, however, worth noting that both Lafreniere and Kakko have in fact done their best work, and in Lafreniere's case, work consistent with a top pick learning the league when paired with Kreider-Zib and Panarin-Strome respectively. Further to that note, those combinations haven't been given a right and true chance to gel, and I'd use the next few weeks to get a better sense of how those lines would work before starting the process over with a more established NHLer.

13 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think that's the conventional wisdom, and generally, I'm with you. It is, however, worth noting that both Lafreniere and Kakko have in fact done their best work, and in Lafreniere's case, work consistent with a top pick learning the league when paired with Kreider-Zib and Panarin-Strome respectively. Further to that note, those combinations haven't been given a right and true chance to gel, and I'd use the next few weeks to get a better sense of how those lines would work before starting the process over with a more established NHLer.

No problems with that. It’s not impossible that it works. The delayed trade deadline this year is very much in the Rangers’ benefit. They don’t need to be jumpy or panic. Give those guys that few extra weeks to show if they can turn it up a notch or ten and be worthy of the spot for the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

After skating with a private trainer in North Carolina, Eichel joined the Golden Knights on the ice about a month ago stating that he felt like a “kid on Christmas.” On Monday, Eichel shed his red/light blue no-contact jersey for a green jersey and is now participating in full contact with the Golden Knights

https://vegashockeynow.com/2022/02/07/jack-eichel-cleared-for-contact-jersey-shed-close-to-return-vegas-golden-knights/

figure they are going to be making a trade sooner rather than later to fit under the cap 

5 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

With all the LTIR usage, they actually have $5.7mil in cap space. They have the room to add Eichel no problem

Are you sure? Martinez is back skating with them and Stephenson is out of Covid protocol. Both are LTIR and coming off as well sooner rather than later. 

18 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

With all the LTIR usage, they actually have $5.7mil in cap space. They have the room to add Eichel no problem

That's considering everyone on LTIR is out for the season.

They could add a 5.7m cap at the deadline if no one comes back, and the roster stays as is.

Theyre at 75.44 with current roster + non-roster + IR (Not LTIR)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/cap-tracker/goldenknights/chart

• VINNY! 1

27 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm glad we didn't go for Eichel

he has discs replaced? How is that even possible and play again?

lots of risk there

38 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Am I misremembering Panarin saying he didn't wanna play with Kakko at the beginning of the season?  I guess he is over that now.

According to Carp, but it was more about wanting Blackwell vs Kakko then not wanting to play with Kakko at all. Who's to say why, I really have no idea. But Kakko this year has been much better than Kakko last year.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Copp would instantly be Keiths favorite player

I have him on my fantasy team. Name or not he’s a very good hockey player. Name helps though! 

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

I have a feeling Keith is holding out for Gourde and his response would be Copp who, regardless of his job.  #GourdeorBust

I do know Yanni is a pipe dream but only because it would take some serious skills as an experienced GM to pull the off. It’s absolutely the right move though in my mind. 🙂

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Gourde would be a really good cost controlled option to supplement the team for a run this year and replace Strome next year.

I had suggested a 3 team trade or just with Seattle in hopes of retention of Gourdes contract just so it’s not a 100% finality that Strome leaves.

3 team trade with Arizona could work if Chychrun is actually available. I’d think Seattle would be more interested in building around a 24 year old Chychrun than a 30 year old Gourde. 
Chychrun to Seattle for Gourde. 2m retained by Arizona then Gourde traded to us at 3.1m . Chytil and Lundkvist to Arizona, we also give maybe our other 2nd rounder to Seattle as well.

Or Seattle just gets all of that and retains 50% of Gourde and leave Arizona out of it. We then basically obtain Gourde for Chytils cap hit and get a real 3c with cup experience that can slide up and down the lineup and still haven’t affected our ability to reup Strome after this year. 

I know it sounds more like video game shit but in this flat cap world, I’d really like us to try and get a cap gem even if it means a slight overpay. Also, at least on LW, LaFreniere is not jumping over Krieder or Bread any time soon so it might be tie, to think of getting a real 3c that also has the ability to play with talented players. 

• Like 1