• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I had suggested a 3 team trade or just with Seattle in hopes of retention of Gourdes contract just so it’s not a 100% finality that Strome leaves.

3 team trade with Arizona could work if Chychrun is actually available. I’d think Seattle would be more interested in building around a 24 year old Chychrun than a 30 year old Gourde. 
Chychrun to Seattle for Gourde. 2m retained by Arizona then Gourde traded to us at 3.1m . Chytil and Lundkvist to Arizona, we also give maybe our other 2nd rounder to Seattle as well.

Or Seattle just gets all of that and retains 50% of Gourde and leave Arizona out of it. We then basically obtain Gourde for Chytils cap hit and get a real 3c with cup experience that can slide up and down the lineup and still haven’t affected our ability to reup Strome after this year. 

I know it sounds more like video game shit but in this flat cap world, I’d really like us to try and get a cap gem even if it means a slight overpay. Also, at least on LW, LaFreniere is not jumping over Krieder or Bread any time soon so it might be tie, to think of getting a real 3c that also has the ability to play with talented players. 

Interesting idea. I kinda have a feeling Ron Francis will be going into pick and prospect mode more than established players like Chychrun though. Seattle is truly terrible, and they really messed up the expansion draft in the worst way. It’s actually shocking to me how poorly they selected that roster.

Anyway, I’d suspect they’ll be stockpiling the picks and prospects. Like you mentioned, I think they would bypass Chychrun and just take that package from the Rangers. I don’t think it’s video game style at all. These bottom dwelling teams can have retention bought if they can fill positions with ELCs to negate the cost. Chytil + Lundkvist + 2nd + 50% of Gourde = 100% of Gourde’s cap and salary, so financially it’s the same for the Kraken and they are paid handsomely for it.

Gourde makes a ton of sense for a lot of reasons. By the way, I would also consider sweetening the pot further to get Giordano for the rest of this year. Maybe upgrade that 2nd to a 1st. Might also need another 3rd or mid-level prospect or something.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Interesting idea. I kinda have a feeling Ron Francis will be going into pick and prospect mode more than established players like Chychrun though. Seattle is truly terrible, and they really messed up the expansion draft in the worst way. It’s actually shocking to me how poorly they selected that roster.

Anyway, I’d suspect they’ll be stockpiling the picks and prospects. Like you mentioned, I think they would bypass Chychrun and just take that package from the Rangers. I don’t think it’s video game style at all. These bottom dwelling teams can have retention bought if they can fill positions with ELCs to negate the cost. Chytil + Lundkvist + 2nd + 50% of Gourde = 100% of Gourde’s cap and salary, so financially it’s the same for the Kraken and they are paid handsomely for it.

Gourde makes a ton of sense for a lot of reasons. By the way, I would also consider sweetening the pot further to get Giordano for the rest of this year. Maybe upgrade that 2nd to a 1st. Might also need another 3rd or mid-level prospect or something.

I agree with you about Francis but I’ve had the response a few times of Seattle not trading a cornerstone of their build. I’m not buying it though. They drafted to have chips and not paint themselves into a corner or commit to much. They go into this offseason with nearly 30m in cap space and 15 players under contract. They didn’t draft to compete now. I absolutely think they would entertain 3 young roster players or 2 + a pick, retain a bit, and still have plenty of money to replace what they sold the fanbase in Gourde by making a free agent run at a Kadri or Forsberg. Gourde currently has a NTC so he would have to waive it. He came into the league a bit later than most so I’d gamble he doesn’t want to spent his early 30s in mediocrity after coming off two cups. His NTC goes to a modified one though by the offseason so it’s not a full contract NTC. It’s just a matter of knowing if he’s interested in coming to NY 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I agree with you about Francis but I’ve had the response a few times of Seattle not trading a cornerstone of their build. I’m not buying it though. They drafted to have chips and not paint themselves into a corner or commit to much. They go into this offseason with nearly 30m in cap space and 15 players under contract. They didn’t draft to compete now. I absolutely think they would entertain 3 young roster players or 2 + a pick, retain a bit, and still have plenty of money to replace what they sold the fanbase in Gourde by making a free agent run at a Kadri or Forsberg. Gourde currently has a NTC so he would have to waive it. He came into the league a bit later than most so I’d gamble he doesn’t want to spent his early 30s in mediocrity after coming off two cups. His NTC goes to a modified one though by the offseason so it’s not a full contract NTC. It’s just a matter of knowing if he’s interested in coming to NY 

Gourde’s buddy Goodrow is here. I’d be shocked if he didn’t waive. I don’t buy that he is some untouchable cornerstone piece either. This is what confuses me about the Kraken’s draft. They didn’t draft for the future and they didn’t draft for now. Confusing on all fronts. They passed up so many guys who would have been more valuable on the trade market or via contribution to team success, so it hurt them no matter what their plans were. Tarasenko in particular stuck out to me. I thought it was a lock they would take him. How did they not? It’s not like they cheaped out on the cap.

If the Kraken were somehow good ala the Golden Knights their first year, Gourde would probably be an unmoveable piece. But that’s not the case. They aren’t a Kadri away from being competitive. They already need to put themselves in rebuild mode. They can get 2-3 1st round quality pieces from the Rangers for a 31 year old player who probably won’t even be there by the time they’re any good. That’s a no brainer. Then again, Francis drafted that team in the first place so who the hell knows.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

So on top of having plenty of room to add stuff.

What are the odds that we can also be an inbetween for western conference trades. we'll eat the cap space this year to allow for trades in exchange for picks/prospects?

deadline cap is prorated right? which explains that large number in cap space. I can't see any situation where we are at all able to spend that amount. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Not sure if it was from this article but someone was tweeting about this.

Lundkvist expected to be the main piece  in a deadline acquisition.

Teams were high on Kravtsov but his actions this year have made some hesitant and lowering his value. Something about his willingness to work with other nhl teams may help

I think if we can land a solid 3C, and successfully move Nemeth and Chytil in the process, that would would increase our playoff odds quite a bit.  That #2 we got for Buchnevich may just be the extra piece to get a good deal done, too!

• VINNY! 1

21 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Amazing how that works eh? Funny, he seemed mostly okay at the all star game lol

That's why I don't trust the vanilla midget commissioner. He's whisky bound and hell bent to make sure teams like the Golden Showers, Puddy Tats & the team in Arizona who's going to play in a high school gym "succeed" or they'll  just be another lockout.

Edited by Costa