• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

9 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Is Mark Scheifele available?  Boomer Esaison casually threw out his name this morning that the Rangers should get him.  Boomer has been on the ball a few times in the past about Rangers acquiring players at the deadline.  

Hi Larry 

https://nypost.com/2022/02/15/complex-rangers-equation-chris-drury-faces-at-nhl-trade-deadline/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Mark Scheifele, who turns 29 in a month and has two more seasons at an annual $6.125 million cap hit, is having a down year in Winnipeg for a club that will probably require a reset. If the Rangers have already used their chips on Miller, they’d pretty much be out of the picture on this one – unless they go rogue. Drury does not strike me as an individual who would go rogue

• LMFAO 2

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

He’s been mentioned a few times, starting over the summer.  Even added to the trade deadline wants, recently. 

jets fans seem very accepted of it on capfriendly 

he’s a righty and doesn’t PK. close to the same cost as Strome. 

15 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Fluery and Kane in a major package deal? What kind of salary do we need retained?

As much as possible; Kane would be on the hook for next season at his current ticket. That deal has to be laundered through Montreal or Arizona (or any other team willing to buy draft picks/prospects with cap space).

That trade would also necessitate a Nemeth trade and probably a Chytil trade, but that's down the line enough.

Kane would be great, but I think we'd have to move Earth and sky for that type deal....and even though he's a fabulous player, I just don't think he'd be the guy for us this season....maybe next season though, when he's a UFA at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Toews seems too broken down at this point in his career. 

Not looking for prime Toews. You are looking for role player Toews. Still wins faceoffs, plays C and kills penalties. Can be good defensively. Certainly an upgrade on Chytil when looking at the playoffs, while checking off boxes in the Needs column. 

The more I think about it, while all these big trades are fun to throw around, who's the last team to bring in a big star and win the cup?  Closest I can think of is MSL going to the finals with the Rangers.  Point being...Names and Copp are not only the answer, but far cheaper the some convoluted double retention flow chart. 

• VINNY! 1

20 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

The more I think about it, while all these big trades are fun to throw around, who's the last team to bring in a big star and win the cup?  Closest I can think of is MSL going to the finals with the Rangers.  Point being...Names and Copp are not only the answer, but far cheaper the some convoluted double retention flow chart. 

No doubt, definitely in the mix, LLTK....I wouldn't mind either one for this season's push.

38 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Tampa / Kucherov.

• LOL 2
  • VINNY! 1

https://theathletic.com/3135091/2022/02/17/16-stats-can-anyone-stop-colorado-buyer-beware-for-ben-chiarot-and-how-about-those-surging-flames/

Just before the Toffoli trade was officially announced, rumours swirled about Calgary’s interest in Ben Chiarot as well, a heavy and rugged defender expected to command at least a first-round pick at the deadline. While it’s possible Chiarot does better outside of Montreal, it’s hard to fathom considering he’s been a massive part of the problem this season. Without Shea Weber’s help, Chiarot’s game has crumbled with a putrid 41.6 percent expected goals rate and an even uglier 31.6 percent of the actual goals. On a terrible team, both are somehow below the team average. For teams hoping for his ‘defensive’ prowess, no Canadiens defender gives up more chances against than Chiarot’s 3.08 expected goals against per 60. 

On top of that Chiarot is a major risk at putting his team on the penalty kill due to his lack of foot speed and this season has a penalty differential of minus-14. On a per-60 basis, only three defenders have a worse rate over the last three seasons than Chiarot.

He’s not the answer, and in all likelihood will likely be a landmine other teams should try to avoid at all costs at the deadline — not spent assets for. Chiarot is currently projected to be an incredible detriment to any team that acquires him, worth minus-0.9 wins. That’s the fifth-lowest mark in the league and is driven by already being worth minus-1.2 wins this season in just 44 games. Only Keith Yandle has been worse.

Yeah this just convinced me the Rangers should stay away from Chiarot.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Maybe not always immediate, but a few examples: Gaborik with the Kings, Carter with the Kings, Hossa with the Blackhawks, Timonen with the Blackhawks, Kucherov with the Lightning (let's go on and count that)

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Kings have had great luck here.. 1st cup they traded for Jeff Carter, 2nd cup was Gaborik

16 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Maybe not always immediate, but a few examples: Gaborik with the Kings, Carter with the Kings, Hossa with the Blackhawks, Timonen with the Blackhawks, Kucherov with the Lightning (let's go on and count that)

15 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Kings have had great luck here.. 1st cup they traded for Jeff Carter, 2nd cup was Gaborik

Hossa wasn't a deadline move.  Yeah Gaborik was the same year we got MSL.  But this is my point.  That was now 8 years ago.

A better way to look at this would be to see how deep teams that made big swings went, not just if they won the Cup. One team does that every year, so even though it's obviously the goal of any would-be trade, it's a really narrow way to measure the effectiveness of making a big deal versus a small one.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

A better way to look at this would be to see how deep teams that made big swings went, not just if they won the Cup. One team does that every year, so even though it's obviously the goal of any would-be trade, it's a really narrow way to measure the effectiveness of making a big deal versus a small one.

I ain't got time for all that research, lol.  Easier to see that the teams wining the cup are bolstering their bottom 6 at the deadline. Ergo, go get Names and Copp.

2 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

I ain't got time for all that research, lol.  Easier to see that the teams wining the cup are bolstering their bottom 6 at the deadline. Ergo, go get Names and Copp.

I get it, I'm just saying, it's hard to draw a conclusion like "don't swing for the fences because it doesn't work" based on this kind of thinking.

Hell, how many teams bolster their bottom-six and also don't win? It can actually be argued that that, too, is a low percentage chance bet because far more teams that do it lose than win.

• Keeps it 100 1