• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

I’d rather pay Buch 5.5 and play Goodrow at 2C than Strome 5.5 and play Goodrow at 2RW, because Buch is objectively a better player. Either way, we will have a guy on the second line playing above his skill level.

If Strome were better at two of the most important traits of being a center, faceoffs and positioning (defensive in particular), the conversation might be different. But he’s not.

I just don't agree. Not even remotely. It seems crazy to me to go out of your way to pay a winger only to end up with a checking line center as your number two. That team won't go anywhere.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Agree on Miller’s next contract. He’s only really a solution through next year.

MS has got 2 years after this at an undervalued cap hit. That’s a bit better, and buys about the right amount of time to bridge the gap from current core to what we hope is the next core with Laf/Kakko/Miller/Schneider/etc.

I like Schiefle. He also knows how to play with playmaking wingers (Wheeler).

He's also big and has a mean streak. He makes sense. Just not sure what it'll cost. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's also big and has a mean streak. He makes sense. Just not sure what it'll cost. 

Maybe a ballpark: Chytil, Lundkvist, Krav, 1st?

Maybe you squeeze in a good, rental depth player back with Scheifele too…LLTK’s boy Copp?

On 2/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, rmc51 said:

This is quite the long rant that doesn’t really address my point that the RW depth sucks and it’s looking like they need to pay through the nose to fix it. My comment didn’t warrant playing hindsight 20/20 about the 3rd line or 3d pairing. The point was moving our 1RW earlier than needed, despite the cap space to hold for at least another year.

I went over this quite a bit earlier in the season and when the trade was made. Had they not signed Goodrow and Nemeth, they would have had the room for both Buchnevich and Strome. Now and atleast 4 years down the road. 

Not sure how nobody saw this issue on the wing coming (I mean... I did.... but..). Kakko, Lafreniere and Kravtsov had no business being deemed as replacement offense in trading Buchnevich. None of them showed any glimpse of breaking out last season. They looked like they look now. Not very good.

This theory that Buchnevich was being dealt no matter what (by Gorton) doesn't jive. 

Gorton wouldn't have given that contract to Goodrow to be a 3rd/4th line wing (now exposed as such while playing top 6). I doubt he hands Nemeth that deal either.

Buchnevich being one of his success stories,  I think he signs him. The team dumped time into building the guy into what he is today, and people are gonna say the Rangers were dumping him not matter what? Nah.

The move was: sign him, try to trade low on a guy like Kadri or Kerfoot for the year. Or not give Goodrow or anyone of the ilk ridiculous money and just fucking use him as 3rd line center. Then add some beef like Ritchie or Reaves and see where the kids go.

The opposite wing of Panarin should have been an open competition between the kids. Losers go to Hartford to develop or to the 3rd line.  

You set yourself up with a team friendly contract with a 2 way forward who just developed into what you'd hoped for and held one open competition for an easy gig opposite Panarin to ease the developmental curve and used the remaining parts the way they are being used today. 3rd line on the verge of needing to be sent to Hartford... 

The players brought in to be harder to play against aren't really hard to play against..  This desire to mimic the Islanders 4th line went exactly as I said it would. Goodrow is now in the top 6 due to his salary and contract. He has little business being there and frankly has brought the Strome/Panarin line down since being inserted there. 

I don't buy the Goodrow is a winner angle, as a reason for the Rangers success. It's more to do with Shestyorkin being awesome and Quinn not being behind the bench. This team is playing very much like they were prior to the Covid shortened, play - in round before they tanked for fatso. Exactly the same actually.  Same fucking roster minus a PPG winger.

Not one player was expected to replace Buchnevichs production by himself. I don’t think anyone mentioned an individual becoming a PPG player, taking that spot. The hope was those kids stepping up, and cumulatively, make up the difference. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, josh said:

Not one player was expected to replace Buchnevichs production by himself. I don’t think anyone mentioned an individual becoming a PPG player, taking that spot. The hope was those kids stepping up, and cumulatively, make up the difference. 

I didn't say one of them. I said all of them. And it still isn't close. 

But this year without Buch, we're in a playoff spot. Last year with Buch, we missed the playoffs entirely...

Shit last season we had 60 points in 56 games, this year we have 67 points in 49 games. Can't say that losing Buch hurt us in the standings.

Edited by Cash or Czech

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

But this year without Buch, we're in a playoff spot. Last year with Buch, we missed the playoffs entirely...

Shit last season we had 60 points in 56 games, this year we have 67 points in 49 games. Can't say that losing Buch hurt us in the standings.

Can say the coaching change and lights out goaltending helped the standings. Basically same roster. 

As much as I hate Quinn, I’m not sure the coaching change is as big of an impact as we want. They have the same PP unit and the same goalie. There hasn’t been consistent improvement or production in other parts of the game that would indicate a net positive based on Gallant vs Quinn. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, josh said:

As much as I hate Quinn, I’m not sure the coaching change is as big of an impact as we want. They have the same PP unit and the same goalie. There hasn’t been consistent improvement or production in other parts of the game that would indicate a net positive based on Gallant vs Quinn. 

So the rest of the league has gotten worse? 

This team has this in them the year before last (as I mentioned). Quinn lost them last season and did some damage to the younger players.  

Gallant put them back on track and instilled a bit of backbone as well as confidence in the game plan. 

7 hours ago, Pete said:

A lot but worth it. Krav, lundkvist , a first and third. That’s the equivalent of three firsts. 

12 minutes ago, josh said:

The hell you talking about bro lol

Ive been reading a lot of these posts concerning trades and player assessments . Buch is doing well but lets not overrate him. I would not call him an elite player, seems to benefit from players around him than really being a playmaker who can put the team on his shoulders. Buch is not a superstar. He is barely better than strome and just like strome benefits from playing with elite players. The young players on the rangers have been been moved around so much from 3rd line- 4th, 1st. If anyone here thinks playing on a first line for 2-3 weeks and struggles  means that he has been given a real chance and is maybe a bust then you may be a great fan , have watched the rangers for 100 years and know all the lingo but you dont understand the game and what it takes to gel with a line and gain confidence.  Laf, kakko would probably be playing at a very high level right now if they had been drafted by a smaller market team . Just had to say something because this board starting to sound like a ny yankees board . I hope we have people that have played the game