• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 NHL Trade Deadline: All in, Bay Bay!

Cash or Czech
Message added by Phil,

Breaking this out from another thread. Let's use this as our general trade deadline thread and for live discussion on deadline day.

Chatter can be about anything deadline related.

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

They have to get the experience sooner or later.

Yup. But sooner or later should be tied to their decision about blowing their assets on rentals. Sooner = not too serious about contending this year, save the asset ammo for next year and beyond. Later = blow your wad and get me some rentals!

I prefer to see them take a rip at it this season, which means limiting playoff minutes for the kids. But I would understand prioritizing playoff exposure for the kids instead. What will certifiably piss me off, though, is blowing assets for players who are not good enough, and those players wind up blocking the kids too. I’m talking getting Lehkonen for a 1st and putting him in the top 6 kind of stuff.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Yup. But sooner or later should be tied to their decision about blowing their assets on rentals. Sooner = not too serious about contending this year, save the asset ammo for next year and beyond. Later = blow your wad and get me some rentals!

I prefer to see them take a rip at it this season, which means limiting playoff minutes for the kids. But I would understand prioritizing playoff exposure for the kids instead. What will certifiably piss me off, though, is blowing assets for players who are not good enough, and those players wind up blocking the kids too. I’m talking getting Lehkonen for a 1st and putting him in the top 6 kind of stuff.

This season and next are arguably their "best" go-for-it years. Say what you will of this year, but they're never going to be sitting on $31 million in deadline cap for the foreseeable future. It would be fucking criminal not to fill that.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This season and next are arguably their "best" go-for-it years. Say what you will of this year, but they're never going to be sitting on $31 million in deadline cap for the foreseeable future. It would be fucking criminal not to fill that.

I’m in. Imagine swiping a Cup with most of our high end prospects still in their early 20s and potentially another decade of competitive play with them?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just hope they get deals done sooner than the deadline.  More time to settle in the better.

Our last game is April 29th.  I think the deadline is March 21st.  That gives them a month to gel with a new player(s).  That should be enough time for any veteran to catch on to how we play, SBR.  We're not exactly "Brain surgeons" out there on the ice lately!  LOL

I figure if we trade too early we might overpay....I can wait it out a little.  I don't think we're in any jeopardy of dropping out of the race at all.  But if we start to slip a bit I can see us pulling the trigger, that's for sure! 

5 of the top 6 point getters in Hartford are RW's (as listed on the website). None of these dudes can come up and bring an impact to the lineup in a top 6 role? Can we at least give it a shot before financing the farm?

BRODZINSKI, RONNING, GRECO, FRITZ, PAJUNIEMI?

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Brodzinski is an AHL all star and an NHL nobody. He's not making any difference on this roster. He'd be yet another McKegg. The only player in that group worth looking at is Pajuniemi who still needs to bulk up.

Why is that? Has he had a stint in the NHL that would confirm that?  I'm not too familiar. I just see he is sub 30 y.o and over a ppg AHLer.

17 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Scheifele is the ticket. Reasonable term left, and for two more years. Strome in the top 6 ain’t the winning ticket.

Might be more of an offseason move though. Panarin might throw a fit if you take his boy toy away mid season.

It's kinda hard to argue Stromes success in the top 6. You're risking Panarin possibly getting mad here.

I know we don't like to cater to whiney players (and im not saying Panarin is one), but I don't want to test our top forward in any way. 

This team is playing well. I don't fuck with a big chemistry piece in Strome at this point by bringing in an obvious replacement. If they flop in the post season and he's a reason behind it, sure. I could see a reason for it.

The cost in trade would be massive though. You're talking a legit 1st line center with term. I'm not really sure the Rangers can afford or should afford that cost in trade. Winnipeg would be going full rebuild in such a move. You'd have to give up 3 major prospects along with a Chytil to get him. Otherwise why are the Jets trading their best player? 

Really good player. Just don't think it's in either teams interest to make a trade at this time. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

5 of the top 6 point getters in Hartford are RW's (as listed on the website). None of these dudes can come up and bring an impact to the lineup in a top 6 role? Can we at least give it a shot before financing the farm?

BRODZINSKI, RONNING, GRECO, FRITZ, PAJUNIEMI?

Can't sit Mike Hunt for such trash.

YOU look Mckegg in the eyes and tell him he's going on waivers to make such a move. You couldn't. LOL.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Why is that? Has he had a stint in the NHL that would confirm that?  I'm not too familiar. I just see he is sub 30 y.o and over a ppg AHLer.

Because he's produced 13 points in 67 games and will be 29 in June. He's played 10 games as a Ranger over the last two seasons. If he did anything noticeable, you'd remember him. He didn't. Some players learn to be successful in the AHL, but just don't have the complete skillset to do anything meaningful at the NHL level.

• VINNY! 1

Scheifele is a really, really good player that I’m not sure gets the attention he deserves because of where he plays. I’m not really sure it’s a deadline move, but if Strome and the Rangers can’t agree to terms this summer, he may become a target of ours. 

The tempting thing with him is that the bigger the game, the better he plays. He has been an absolute terror in the playoffs for Winnipeg. That one playoff year when Winnipeg went deep, he almost averaged a goal per game. I think he had 14.

Re: our shitty RW depth, a lot of heartache could have been avoided if they just signed Buch like they should have. He’s twice the player Strome is. We wouldn’t even be having a discussion about needing a top 6 player. And before anyone says we couldn’t have afforded Buch long term, it doesn’t matter. They could have re-signed and traded later, or taken him to arbitration for a 1 year deal, or whatever. We are now looking at options that will probably cost more to acquire and either aren’t better or are marginally better. Another stain of mismanagement…by Drury this time.

Edited by rmc51

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Re: our shitty RW depth, a lot of heartache could have been avoided if they just signed Buch like they should have. He’s twice the player Strome is. We wouldn’t even be having a discussion about needing a top 6 player. And before anyone says we couldn’t have afforded Buch long term, it doesn’t matter. They could have re-signed and traded later, or taken him to arbitration for a 1 year deal, or whatever. We are now looking at options that will probably cost more to acquire and either aren’t better or are marginally better. Another stain of mismanagement…by Drury this time.

Oh my God stop whining about Strome all the time LOL. Too bad Buch didn't play center or he may be here. The fact is the best player on the team loves playing with Strome, and Strome is effective, regardless of your bias.

If your boy Chytil didn't suck ass, he'd have taken Strome job already. If Kakko wasn't crap or Gallant would try Chytil at RW or Kravtsov not a little bitch or Blais wasn't hurt they wouldn't be here, either. 

What's going on at right wing has nothing to do with the center ice position and sitting here in February criticizing decisions made in July is incredibly reductive. As if anybody could see no progress from Kakko or Chytil, Kravtsov leaving and Blais getting hurt all happening together as they traded Buchnevich. 

• Keeps it 100 1

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh my God stop whining about Strome all the time LOL. Too bad Buch didn't play center or he may be here. The fact is the best player on the team loves playing with Strome, and Strome is effective, regardless of your bias.

If your boy Chytil didn't suck ass, he'd have taken Strome job already. If Kakko wasn't crap or Gallant would try Chytil at RW or Kravtsov not a little bitch or Blais wasn't hurt they wouldn't be here, either. 

What's going on at right wing has nothing to do with the center ice position and sitting here in February criticizing decisions made in July is incredibly reductive. As if anybody could see no progress from Kakko or Chytil, Kravtsov leaving and Blais getting hurt all happening together as they traded Buchnevich. 

In Summer of ‘21 the discussion was about not having cap in Summer of ‘22 to re-sign both Buchnevich and Strome. You might not like it, but that makes the two inextricably linked based on planned cap spending. Put it this way, if Strome weren’t here, they probably don’t rush a Buchnevich trade.

As long as Buch paces a PPG and being a star in STL, while Strome plays no defense, can’t hit an empty net if his grandmother’s life depended on it, and paces 16 goals playing with one of the best players on the planet, you should get used to hearing about it. Especially when we start railing on the depth of the RW position that Buchnevich plays and how we now have to spend a 1st and top prospects to try and fix…after we traded him for a 2nd and a bottom 6 player.

Sorry it ruffles your feathers. But not really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

In Summer of ‘21 the discussion was about not having cap in Summer of ‘22 to re-sign both Buchnevich and Strome. You might not like it, but that makes the two inextricably linked based on planned cap spending. Put it this way, if Strome weren’t here, they probably don’t rush a Buchnevich trade.

As long as Buch paces a PPG and being a star in STL, while Strome plays no defense, can’t hit an empty net if his grandmother’s life depended on it, and paces 16 goals playing with one of the best players on the planet, you should get used to hearing about it. Especially when we start railing on the depth of the RW position that Buchnevich plays and how we now have to spend a 1st and top prospects to try and fix…after we traded him for a 2nd and a bottom 6 player.

Sorry it ruffles your feathers. But not really.

It doesn't ruffle my feathers, it's a dumb argument. "The" discussion wasn't Strome vs Buch, your argument was Strome vs Buch because it's your personal campaign.

I won't bother dissecting your rando attacks on Strome. You like to complain about Strome when he's slumping, but most people know the difference between a good player having a bad stretch and a bad player, doesn't seem like you do.

Your argument for keeping Buch for one year has nothing to do with Strome because they could have afforded both this year. But they made the choice they made because they had RW depth at the time and the still don't have top 6 center depth.

If you were able to look at this objectively, and throw in your penchant for hindsight knowing what we know now, the best move for the team (not your personal agenda) would have been jettison Chytil, Gauthier, don't sign Nemeth to a long term deal, and keep Barron as either 3C or 4C (Rooney 3C) because frankly the third line has been garbage all year, mostly because of Chytil.

20-93-89

10-16-One of Laf, Kakko,Goodrow

Third line is some combo of Lafreniere , Goodrow, Kakko, Barron, or Roons

Fourth line is some combo of Hunt, Reavo, Barron, Rooney, McKegg

That maybe makes the team better at ES.

Strome and Buch were the 2nd tier guys that needed new contracts in those years.

we didn’t discuss moving fox or seriously look at moving Zibanejad, as we anticipated them staying. 

essentially, we discussed the players entering the danger zone