• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

I did some more cap crunching. I'm in shock, but the Rangers could still fit double retained Kane in. It requires:

1) Kravtsov traded before the deadline, no later than  March 1st (or maybe the day before, it's a little hairy), without salary coming back and nobody called up to replace him.

2) The Rangers going with a 21 man roster (12 F, 7D, 2 G) rest of season post trade deadline. This means Leschychyn waived on deadline day, with no replacement.

They cannot wait until trade deadline day to dump Kravtsov. The Rangers current deadline cap space is $908K. Add Kravtsov's $875k and Leschychyn's $767K out = $2.55M cap. A double retained Kane is 10.5*.25 = 2.625M. They would be roughly $7.3K short. In order to make up the difference, it gets into the fractional daily costs of keeping Kravtsov around, which is his contract value divided by the days in the NHL season. Per CapFriendly, there are 185 days in the NHL season this year. $875k / 185 = $4.73K per day. Two days before the deadline saves the required amount to just barely fit Kane in. Any more than that is gravy, and would start accumulating a little bit extra to carry a 22nd man at some point later on in the season (think the situation of wanting to give a player or two a game off, and calling up a minor leaguer).

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Believe 1

I hope his game tonight gave him clarity. Monster night. He looked like someone who had his night and May finally be ready to move on.

If he’s gonna be a Ranger, he needs to tell their management this is where he wants to go. Option 1, 2 and 3. There is a way that this could happen. It would take work but the Rangers and the Blackhawks. But there is literally only one way it does, and that is for Kane to come clean and tell Chicago the Rangers are the only team he wants to go to. Short of that, it probably doesn’t happen.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I did some more cap crunching. I'm in shock, but the Rangers could still fit double retained Kane in. It requires:

1) Kravtsov traded before the deadline, no later than  March 1st (or maybe the day before, it's a little hairy), without salary coming back and nobody called up to replace him.

2) The Rangers going with a 21 man roster (12 F, 7D, 2 G) rest of season post trade deadline. This means Leschychyn waived on deadline day, with no replacement.

They cannot wait until trade deadline day to dump Kravtsov. The Rangers current deadline cap space is $908K. Add Kravtsov's $875k and Leschychyn's $767K out = $2.55M cap. A double retained Kane is 10.5*.25 = 2.625M. They would be roughly $7.3K short. In order to make up the difference, it gets into the fractional daily costs of keeping Kravtsov around, which is his contract value divided by the days in the NHL season. Per CapFriendly, there are 185 days in the NHL season this year. $875k / 185 = $4.73K per day. Two days before the deadline saves the required amount to just barely fit Kane in. Any more than that is gravy, and would start accumulating a little bit extra to carry a 22nd man at some point later on in the season (think the situation of wanting to give a player or two a game off, and calling up a minor leaguer).

Do It Watchmen GIF by Legendary Entertainment

• Like 1

Kane let his emotions on the topic seep out in the wake of Vladimir Tarasenko’s trade to the New York Rangers — the team believed by many to be at the top of his destination list.

Reportedly, there was some level of mutual interest with the Maple Leafs as well, but Kyle Dubas made his big splash at forward for Ryan O’Reilly and Noel Acciari Friday.

“I don't think there's really — at least that I know of — much discussion of that being an option,” Kane said. “I know there’s a lot of different reports out there, and not all of them are true. So, gotta be careful what you listen to.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/patrick-kane-lights-up-maple-leafs-talks-toronto-trade-rumour/

• Believe 1

12 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Rangers injury luck has been insanely good this season.  Not sure I want them to cut their remaining maneuverability at this point.

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well what's he waiting for? This is all on him. He's sitting there not saying what he wants to do while other teams are out making deals. 

I’m not sure if Chicago granted him permission to talk to teams, or if there’s backchannels to getting info. But I’m hoping Drury wants him and that it’s been made known to Kane through said back channels…so he can force his way here or nowhere…if he’s ok with the chance a trade might not go through. Maybe that’s something he’s deciding. How badly he wants the Rangers, assuming they want him, and how badly he wants a chance to win this year even if it’s not the Rangers such that he adds other teams to his list. Because there’s only one way a Rangers trade happens, and that’s if Kane forces it here and keeps cost semi-affordable.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well what's he waiting for? This is all on him. He's sitting there not saying what he wants to do while other teams are out making deals. 

My question exactly.

Its not like the trade talk is a surprise given his status and the state of the Blackhawks. 
Surely he had thought about it, talked with his family, the organization on at least some level. 

And where’s his agent in all of this?

Hes a pending UFA. 
He’s playing for a new contract.

Hes on a team that’s in a complete rebuild.

You pay an agent to manage these things for you. Surely his agent said to him.. “Hey Pat. You need to have an idea where you want to go early on, because you never know. These things can occur at any time.”

If I were his agent, I’d have had that conversation with him in September.

Full NMC means no list is submitted or requested.

IDK.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It's all on him? I thought a lot of it was finding another team with the cap space, an affordable price for it, and a willingness to help the Rangers become bulked up beyond imagination. I can't see the Hawks running around trying to line up financing when what they get back is likely to be super shitty at best - if you hold it up against the final Eichel deal. (Although still prob better than nothing.) I would think it would be mostly on Drury to put all the pieces together. 

Dru: KYLE!!!!  Its 2023 Gregory Award Winner, Chris Drury, how you doing buddy?

Davidson: Of the Rangers?

Dru:  That's right, pal, the one and only.

Davidson:  Hello, sir, its an honor, how may I help you today?

Dru:  The honor is all yours my friend.  Yea so I am calling about Kaner.  I heard he wants to come to the hottest team in the NHL to finish out the season.

Davidson:  Carolina?

Dru:  Hell nah, son, I'm talking the New.  York.  Ranjaaaaasss.

Davidson:  Oh ok, yes, those rumors are 100% true.  In fact he told me he wanted only Toronto or you guys.  He wouldn't mind going back to Buffalo but he's afraid he might get into trouble going back home full time.

Dru: Oh hell yea, buddy!  Yea Kyle Dumbass up there in Loserville screwed up his cap he ain't doing anything else for this season.  Too many hookers, blow, and chicken wings up in the B-LO so Patty doesn't wanna go up there.  He needs to come to the big stage on Broadway, the only place he really wants to be.

Davidson:  I agree, NYC is his best shot at making something of the rest of this season.

Dru:  So here is my offer.  You can pick one of Jake Lushshshshshsh-whatever his name is, Vitali Kravsoffft, and my own 2023 second round pick.  You're going to send me Kane at 50% retained, and you're going to send those pesky Kiiighyoats whatever shit draft pick you wanna send them and they're going to take another 25% off Kaner for me.  Don't worry they're suckers they'll take anything just to get to their cap floor hahahahahaha.

Davidson:  I don't know Chris..

Dru:  Now let me cut you off right there, pal, you can call me Mr. Drury.  Thanks bruh.

Davidson:  Uhhhh, ok, Mr. Drury.  I don't think this is a very fair trade.

Dru:  You're damn right son, its not, I am bending you over my knees and making you my little bitch on this trade.

Davidson:  That's rude, what makes you think I would even entertain such a trade?

Drue:  Well its this deal or you can keep him the remainder of his contract and get nothing for him at all.  Maybe you're lucky and you can trade his rights at the Draft but I doubt anyone is going to ask for that deal, no one is signing him for 8 years.

Davidson:batman ok GIF

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • LMFAO 1
  • The Chyt! 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Dru: KYLE!!!!  Its 2023 Gregory Award Winner, Chris Drury, how you doing buddy?

Davidson: Of the Rangers?

Dru:  That's right, pal, the one and only.

Davidson:  Hello, sir, its an honor, how may I help you today?

Dru:  The honor is all yours my friend.  Yea so I am calling about Kaner.  I heard he wants to come to the hottest team in the NHL to finish out the season.

Davidson:  Carolina?

Dru:  Hell nah, son, I'm talking the New.  York.  Ranjaaaaasss.

Davidson:  Oh ok, yes, those rumors are 100% true.  In fact he told me he wanted only Toronto or you guys.  He wouldn't mind going back to Buffalo but he's afraid he might get into trouble going back home full time.

Dru: Oh hell yea, buddy!  Yea Kyle Dumbass up there in Loserville screwed up his cap he ain't doing anything else for this season.  Too many hookers, blow, and chicken wings up in the B-LO so Patty doesn't wanna go up there.  He needs to come to the big stage on Broadway, the only place he really wants to be.

Davidson:  I agree, NYC is his best shot at making something of the rest of this season.

Dru:  So here is my offer.  You can pick one of Jake Lushshshshshsh-whatever his name is, Vitali Kravsoffft, and my own 2023 second round pick.  You're going to send me Kane at 50% retained, and you're going to send those pesky Kiiighyoats whatever shit draft pick you wanna send them and they're going to take another 25% off Kaner for me.  Don't worry they're suckers they'll take anything just to get to their cap floor hahahahahaha.

Davidson:  I don't know Chris..

Dru:  Now let me cut you off right there, pal, you can call me Mr. Drury.  Thanks bruh.

Davidson:  Uhhhh, ok, Mr. Drury.  I don't think this is a very fair trade.

Dru:  You're damn right son, its not, I am bending you over my knees and making you my little bitch on this trade.

Davidson:  That's rude, what makes you think I would even entertain such a trade?

Drue:  Well its this deal or you can keep him the remainder of his contract and get nothing for him at all.  Maybe you're lucky and you can trade his rights at the Draft but I doubt anyone is going to ask for that deal, no one is signing him for 8 years.

Davidson:batman ok GIF

You tell em Dru. Make him your bitch!

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree. At this point, if he wants something, it’s basically now or never time.

Last night was the perfect send off.

And to be honest, listening to Davidson yesterday during the Toews announcement when asked about Kane, he sounded like a guy who knew that if Kane asks out, he knows he is getting rid of him for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I agree. At this point, if he wants something, it’s basically now or never time.

Last night was the perfect send off.

And to be honest, listening to Davidson yesterday during the Toews announcement when asked about Kane, he sounded like a guy who knew that if Kane asks out, he knows he is getting rid of him for pennies on the dollar.

Honestly starting to feel like Chicago overplayed their hand here. 

• Keeps it 100 1