• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

44 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

There are 60 games to go. And no one has established themselves, outside of the Bruins and NJ going on a scorching hot streak. And even with that hot streak, a loss by them tonight and a win by us puts us 6 points behind them.

History says Thanksgiving is a a rather important milestone. 

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

History says Thanksgiving is a a rather important milestone. 

It's Thanksgiving week in the United States, which means every coaching staff across the NHL is looking at where their teams are in the standings, and some are starting to stress if their teams are not in position to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

We always hear that the odds are stacked against you if you're not in a playoff position on Turkey Day in the U.S. It's true and coaches are talking about it.

If you go back to the 2005-06 season, 76.3 percent of the teams that were in a playoff position on U.S. Thanksgiving made the playoffs, according to NHL Stats. 

That doesn't include the 2019-20 season, which paused in March because of COVID-19 and 12 teams per conference were invited to participate in the postseason. It also doesn't count the 2012-13 and 2020-21 seasons because neither of those seasons started before U.S. Thanksgiving.

However, in the 14 seasons I am including, 171 of the 224 teams that made the postseason were in playoff position on Thanksgiving. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/thanksgiving-playoff-position-deadline-real-for-nhl-coaches/c-337911216

I’m not disagreeing. But we’re not exactly sitting in a position like a team like Ottawa. We’re literally mucking it just like just about every other team in the East. There really has been zero separation. Boston and NJ have gotten off to red hot starts. But other than that? Everyone else is lumped together. We’re all in the same boat of trying to figure things out.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

36 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m not disagreeing. But we’re not exactly sitting in a position like a team like Ottawa. We’re literally mucking it just like just about every other team in the East. There really has been zero separation. Boston and NJ have gotten off to red hot starts. But other than that? Everyone else is lumped together. We’re all in the same boat of trying to figure things out.

No, we're not trying to figure it out. We knew exactly who we were going all the way back to last year.

We played our lottery tickets at last deadline.

This team is not one player away, it's multiple pieces that need to be put in place for a good amount of time.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

No, we're not trying to figure it out. We knew exactly who we were going all the way back to last year.

We played our lottery tickets at last deadline.

This team is not one player away, it's multiple pieces that need to be put in place for a good amount of time.

With no road map to get there due to cap constraints. 

• Bullseye 1

8 minutes ago, Capt said:

How does Kane make this a contending team?  They cannot defend and they don't compete for 60 minutes

It definitely fills a void. Doesn't fill all the voids though. Defense is a systems issue imo. A coaching change and Kane and we are moving in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/what-would-blackhawks-rangers-trade-involving-patrick-kane-look

What would a Hawks-Rangers trade involving Kane look like?

The Claude Giroux trade from Philadelphia to Florida last season feels like a benchmark, at the very least. Here's what the full deal was:

Panthers receive: Giroux, AHL forward Connor Bunnaman, former first-round pick German Rubtsov and a fifth-round pick in 2025.

Flyers receive: Former first-round pick Owen Tippett, a conditional first-round selection in 2024* and a third-round pick in 2023.

*If the 2024 first-round pick falls inside the Top 10, Philadelphia will receive Florida's 2025 first-round selection.

Would the Rangers part ways with K'Andre Miller or Braden Schneider? Doubtful. What about Filip Chytil, Kaapo Kakko or Alexis Lafreniere? That's where the conversation would probably go next, and that's where it should go next. Multiple league scouts I spoke to weren't very high on Vitali Kravtsov, so I don't think he'd be a prospect the Blackhawks would get overly excited about.

A few weeks ago, it didn't seem like the Rangers would be a possibility for Kane because they were outside of the playoff picture. But now that they've won seven in a row, the Rangers look like the team most thought they would be at the beginning of the season, which could make them legitimate players in the potential Kane sweepstakes.

Kind of a bad article. How do you go from using the Giroux deal as a template, that got back a fairly busted '17 #10OA, a top 10 protected 1st, and a 3rd, to Chytil/Kakko/Lafreniere should be involved? Drury would be a complete asshole to trade any of these guys for Kane.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

If the Giroux trade is the benchmark, the deal will be Kravtsov, a first, and a third.

I don’t even mind that so much, but if I’m the Rangers and giving that up, I force maxretention and make the move as early as it’ll fit. I want half a season of Kane. I’d even be willing to up there third to a second with playoff success like they did with acquiring Copp. 

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

If the Giroux trade is the benchmark, the deal will be Kravtsov, a first, and a third.

They were operating under the assumption there is no interest in Kravtsov based on scouts they talked to. In that event, I don't know what the trade looks like. Maybe a 2nd 1st instead of a former 1st round pick who hasn't established himself. Or maybe they go and command a Will Cuylle or Adam Sykora. You can't keep saying no to everything.

The wild card is if Kane says Rangers or I'm not waiving to go anywhere. Then you've got them over a barrel.

Small

winger

big cap hit

will cost too much via trade 

not tough to play against

history of off ice issues

a liability defensively

doesnt kill anyone penalties 

Has as many goals as Julien Gauthier

my offer is Hajek + 3rd, with max retention 

• LOL 1

10 minutes ago, josh said:

Small

winger

big cap hit

a liability defensively

Fair assessment......Hajek scored McDonagh and JT Miller. So now that he is seasoned......gotta be worth a Pat Kane.

• LMFAO 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

16 minutes ago, josh said:

Small

winger

big cap hit

a liability defensively

Reminds me of Panarin, why do we need two of those, mind you on the same line.

Small

winger

big cap hit

a liability defensively

Edited by Rangers
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Reminds me of Panarin

Small

winger

big cap hit

a liability defensively

We already have a Panarin, and don’t need 2 of them outscored by this season’s Vatrano in the postseason 

• Keeps it 100 1

That article can't be taken seriously. 

But neither can anyone talking about Kane's goal totals as indicative of anything, or "off ice issues" nonsense. 

Guys the best American born player ever, a Smythe winner, a 3 time cup winner.

The only question is does he want and extension, and how much does he want? If he's willing to play for $4M x 2 or 3 I'd gladly send them Kakko as there's a 98% chance Kane out-produces Kakko over the next 3 seasons. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

That article can't be taken seriously. 

But neither can anyone talking about Kane's goal totals as indicative of anything, or "off ice issues" nonsense. 

Guys the best American born player ever, a Smythe winner, a 3 time cup winner.

The only question is does he want and extension, and how much does he want? If he's willing to play for $4M x 2 or 3 I'd gladly send them Kakko as there's a 98% chance Kane out-produces Kakko over the next 3 seasons. 

Wait, so are we talking about old Patrick Kane (scored, off ice issues, winner) or modern Patrick Kane (not scoring, not engaged, not good)? 

or cherry picking?

4 minutes ago, josh said:

Wait, so are we talking about old Patrick Kane (scored, off ice issues, winner) or modern Patrick Kane (not scoring, not engaged, not good)? 

or cherry picking?

Why should he be engaged? Hawks management decimated the team and traded productive young players on good deals for... Nothing. 

DeBrincat point per game. 

Kubalik 26 in 30 on a bad team. 

Dach 21 in 31 on a terrible team. 

His point totals this year aren't indicative of anything other than being in a terrible team. 

• Cheers 1