• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Strome Talking Extension

Phil

21 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Stromes game is not made for playoff hockey. I truly hope I'm wrong and he excells in the playoffs but I just don't see it happening. Signing him could be a huge mistake if you're thinking of going deep into the playoffs.

What is this based on?

17 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Making any conclusion about playoff performance about anyone on this roster not named Barclay Goodrow is an error because the sample size doesn't exist for any of it to matter. We got blown out of the water in a play in series like four years ago or something. That's the only experience anyone has. 

Strome signing for the amount we need him to sign to here would be a massive, massive win. Sure, if we were giving him 8M you'd have a point, but we're not because we can't. 

This. We have no idea what most of this roster can or cannot do in the playoffs. The games experience is minimal across the broadest swath of it. Reaves leads the team with 84 career playoff games, followed closely by Kreider (80). After that it's Goodrow (65), Zibanejad (31), Panarin, Zibanejad, and Trouba (30). Nemeth, who sucks, has 28.

That's a total of six players who've got what we could describe as "healthy" experience.

Strome and McKegg have both played 18 games in the postseason. The rest of the roster combined have just 15 games, and that's including that "play in"

round against the Hurricanes as playoff games. Subtract that, because it really wasn't, and you're looking at goose eggs for Chytil, Barron, Lafrenière, Gauthier, Rooney, Lindgren, Fox, Schneider, Hajek, Shesterkin, and Georgiev, and a whopping two for Hunt.

Inexperience abounds.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Strome has 3 goals and 10 points in 18 playoff games.

I think people get too far deep into the whole concept that finesse doesn’t win in the playoffs, just grinding works. No, not the case. You need both. Yes, the ice shrinks and the defenses you play against tend to clamp down more so than in the regular season. And yes, it is the time for muckers and grinders to shine when that ice does shrink down. But, you still need your top guys to produce and find open ice when it’s there. That goes for Panarin, Zibanejad and yes, you can throw Strome in that mix too. Saying “he’s not made for playoff hockey” is just a blank statement based off of nothing IMO. And I don’t mean any offense toward you in that.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, CBrowningPI said:

Stromes game is not made for playoff hockey. I truly hope I'm wrong and he excells in the playoffs but I just don't see it happening. Signing him could be a huge mistake if you're thinking of going deep into the playoffs.

I’m more concerned with Zib and Panarin in the playoffs tbh. But like someone else said.. much too small of a sample size to really draw any conclusions 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think people get too far deep into the whole concept that finesse doesn’t win in the playoffs, just grinding works. No, not the case. You need both. Yes, the ice shrinks and the defenses you play against tend to clamp down more so than in the regular season. And yes, it is the time for muckers and grinders to shine when that ice does shrink down. But, you still need your top guys to produce and find open ice when it’s there. That goes for Panarin, Zibanejad and yes, you can throw Strome in that mix too. Saying “he’s not made for playoff hockey” is just a blank statement based off of nothing IMO. And I don’t mean any offense toward you in that.

I think this is spot on.

The thing that worries me so much more about the playoffs is not the shrinking ice - it's the swallowed whistles. We feast on special teams. That's not really a success recipe in the playoffs unless you've got a few real assholes who can knock a team off kilter.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, G1000 said:

I think this is spot on.

The thing that worries me so much more about the playoffs is not the shrinking ice - it's the swallowed whistles. We feast on special teams. That's not really a success recipe in the playoffs unless you've got a few real assholes who can knock a team off kilter.

What scares me is the groups overall lack of experience in the playoffs. I feel like you need to get your heart stepped on a time or two before you get to climb that mountain. It’s almost like a baby; gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

It’s not as if no one on the roster has played playoff games; we have guys with tons of individual experience. I mean as a group. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

I think this is spot on.

Marek and Friedman always uses the phrase "the guys who get you there and there are guys who get you through." It's entirely possible that Strome's game isn't built for the playoffs , and that's OK. Maybe he's just the guy who gets you there. It remains to be seen if the team has the players to get them through. But the guys who get you there are just as important. You have to qualify for the playoffs in order to play in them, after all.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Marek and Friedman always uses the phrase "the guys who get you there and there are guys who get you through." It's entirely possible that Strome's game isn't built for the playoffs , and that's OK. Maybe he's just the guy who gets you there. It remains to be seen if the team has the players to get them through. But the guys who get you there are just as important. You have to qualify for the playoffs in order to play in them, after all.

yeah but it would suck big time if Strome gets paid and then disappears in the playoffs.  Strome is not the guy who's going to get you anywhere, he's a complimentary player who works well with Panarin at the moment.  Panarin is the catalyst on that line

5 minutes ago, CCCP said:

yeah but it would suck big time if Strome gets paid and then disappears in the playoffs.  Strome is not the guy who's going to get you anywhere, he's a complimentary player who works well with Panarin at the moment.  Panarin is the catalyst on that line

Not if others around him pick up the slack.

Rick Nash did dick in the playoffs. The Rangers still made the Cup Final with him because others — namely Hank, I know — did just that. McDonagh had 17 points in 25 games that Spring. Stepan and MSL (8 goals) had 15 points. Kreider and Zucc both had 13.

In an ideal world, yes, all your top-paid players step up, but we don't live in an ideal world. We live in reality, where that's just not always going to be the case.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Not if others around him pick up the slack.

Rick Nash did dick in the playoffs. The Rangers still made the Cup Final with him because others — namely Hank, I know — did just that. McDonagh had 17 points in 25 games that Spring. MSL had 15 (and eight goals). Stepan had 15 points. Kreider and Zucc both had 13.

In an ideal world, yes, all your top-paid players step up, but we don't live in an ideal world. We live in reality, where that's just not always going to be the case.

not sure you'd want to pay a player and hope that someone else will pick up the slack in the playoffs when he's not producing.  

Nash didnt produce and we didnt win the cup.  So its ok to do the same with Strome and not win the cup again? Dont you want to pay a player who's going to not disappear in the playoffs.  

i expect this team to make the playoffs this year and i'll be looking at Strome more closely because he's a free agent.  if he produces, i'd have no problem signing him but if he doesnt, why would you want him around?

23 minutes ago, CCCP said:

not sure you'd want to pay a player and hope that someone else will pick up the slack in the playoffs when he's not producing.  

Nash didnt produce and we didnt win the cup.  So its ok to do the same with Strome and not win the cup again? Dont you want to pay a player who's going to not disappear in the playoffs.  

i expect this team to make the playoffs this year and i'll be looking at Strome more closely because he's a free agent.  if he produces, i'd have no problem signing him but if he doesnt, why would you want him around?

For the reasons I've already explained above.

"It's entirely possible that Strome's game isn't built for the playoffs , and that's OK. Maybe he's just the guy who gets you there. It remains to be seen if the team has the players to get them through. But the guys who get you there are just as important. You have to qualify for the playoffs in order to play in them, after all. "

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

For the reasons I've already explained above.

"It's entirely possible that Strome's game isn't built for the playoffs , and that's OK. Maybe he's just the guy who gets you there. It remains to be seen if the team has the players to get them through. But the guys who get you there are just as important. You have to qualify for the playoffs in order to play in them, after all. "

for me that's not OK.  I dont want another Nash.  If Nash produced, we might've won the cup.  

plus Strome is not the type of player who'll get you anywhere.  He's a complimentary player to Panarin.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

A lot depends on who the RW is me thinks

you need someone who can dig pucks and have enough skill so the D can’t concentrate on 10

sure miss Fast

Edited by Go Blue

14 minutes ago, Go Blue said:

A lot depends on who the RW is me thinks

you need someone who can dig pucks and have enough skill so the D can’t concentrate on 10

sure miss Fast

Oh, by line? Yes, because Panarin has also shown a tendency to shrink against in-your-face teams. But big picture, I can accept that not every player is going to be a huge presence in the playoffs as long as enough of them are.

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

Because you're paying him 6M, not 8M or 11M.

I keep saying this when anybody nitpicks Strome flaws... If he didn't have all those warts in his game he would be an 8 million dollar player, the reason you're getting him for six is because he's got warts.

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

Strome playing with Panarin is different than Nash playing with most players on those teams though. If Nash could possess the puck and play that netfront game that Kreider has gotten so good at, maybe different line combinations, differen outcomes. Also, the Quinn coached teams played way different than Gallant's, Mckegg-Reaves-Rooney/Hunt can really forecheck and control play. Howden-Lemieux-Di guiseppe rarely did that without one of the top guys on a line w them. It's less about Strome to me than Chytil Kakko and Lafreniere and Gauthier to a lesser extent putting it together at the right time. If Strome is being lifted by Panarin and still can't score we have bigger problems than if it's 5.5 or 6.5 million on his contract.

• 3 weeks later...

Stromer not doing himself any favors missing open nets on shootouts or just shooting wide consistently through each game. Im starting to think he may be on his way out at the deadline if they can't get a deal done..... I know they need a center already but not looking good considering it is being reported that both parties are apart in negotiations. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Stromer not doing himself any favors missing open nets on shootouts or just shooting wide consistently through each game. Im starting to think he may be on his way out at the deadline if they can't get a deal done..... I know they need a center already but not looking good considering it is being reported that both parties are apart in negotiations. 

Strome has always been a slow starter for us; he is likely just shaking off some rust from the break right now, like most of the team. I’m not concerned about his production; he’ll ramp it up again soon I’m sure.

Not that that excuses him from missing a wide open net in a shootout. He should have buried that. 

• Like 1

I love Strome, but dude better realize this situation revitalized a slowly dying career. If not for coming here and succeeding, he would probably be waiver fodder or in the Swiss league. 

Realize the situation and do a team friendly deal. He owes the Rangers. The Rangers don't owe him.    Much. 

Edited by The Dude