• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Strome Talking Extension

Phil

22 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

The chemistry with Panarin is real. Strome must be signed. 

Have to agree with this; only other option would be to lobby Chicago for a Ryan for Dylan trade and hope the genetics carry through with the chemistry.....

On 12/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, jsm7302 said:

Have to agree with this; only other option would be to lobby Chicago for a Ryan for Dylan trade and hope the genetics carry through with the chemistry.....

Or hope that Bread has got a bit of Ilya Bryzgalov / Ricky Henderson in him and he just thinks Ryan got a new haircut and doesn't realize its Dylan. 

• 1 month later...

https://nypost.com/2022/01/26/rangers-in-contract-talks-with-ryan-strome-option-they-wont-pick/

The Blueshirts are engaged in ongoing talks with the representatives for pending unrestricted free agent center Ryan Strome, with preliminary numbers having been exchanged between the parties, The Post has learned.

While it seems as if there is a fair amount of work to do in order to reach an agreement on an extension, there will be no sign-or-be-traded ultimatum coming from general manager Chris Drury in the manner that then-GM Glen Sather put the hammer to Mats Zuccarello ahead of the 2015 deadline or to Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi a year earlier.

Rest assured, Drury will not sabotage his team ahead of the playoffs by trading the Blueshirts’ second-line center so as not to allow Strome to flee for nothing in return if he does indeed hit the July 13 open market. If the Rangers cannot sign Strome to an extension during the pre-deadline window, talks would resume following the playoffs.

On J.T. Miller:

Again, the Rangers’ preference is to sign Strome, but J.T. Miller could lurk as a potential replacement. We are told that Vancouver GM Jim Rutherford’s asking price for the one-time Ranger is astronomical at this point, but the ask is surely to drop as the deadline approaches if the Canucks — five points out of a playoff spot with five teams to pass while at a games-played disadvantage — entirely drop out of the race.

16 minutes ago, phillyb said:

What is the deal when some of you guys copy and paste? Why is that quote block black text on white background? 

Did you see the option to convert to plain text after pasting? 

I can’t read that shit. 

I've seen it happen sometimes before, but this one is fine for me.

Using Miller as leverage the same way they used Eichel to get Mika to sign?

13 minutes ago, Valriera said:

We don’t need leverage here. Strome is a smart guy. He wants to be here. If he does he will get to a number that keeps him here. If he doesn’t and wants money he will be walking. This is not the same and is an easy one, to be honest.

Considering the struggles strome has had at other teams, he would be nuts to pass up playing with Panarin going forward. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, siddious said:

Considering the struggles strome has had at other teams, he would be nuts to pass up playing with Panarin going forward. 

You could also argue that cashing in now would be the best thing for him when you consider his inconsistent career.

That said, he looks to love this team and place so much I would be surprised if he left just to squeeze out a million or two more.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

You could also argue that cashing in now would be the best thing for him when you consider his inconsistent career.

That said, he looks to love this team and place so much I would be surprised if he left just to squeeze out a million or two more.

Fair point but I think he’s got some more game to him - should play the long game instead 

Cashing in for maybe 10m more over the course of a contract? Sure if that’s what he’s after then he should do it - we can’t go there so we don’t have a choice. Can keep him at around 5 with some term. Hope he takes that bc I love the guy but we have limited options

8 hours ago, phillyb said:

What is the deal when some of you guys copy and paste? Why is that quote block black text on white background? 

Did you see the option to convert to plain text after pasting? 

I can’t read that shit. 

no idea. I just hit the quotes and inserted text from the article as I always have. Weird. Maybe the dark theme im using on the forum affects it? 

I can all but guarantee Panarin will be the best player he'll ever play with in his career. As we've established, Panarin doesn't carry him, but it's certainly a beneficial partnership. I think if he holds out for more than what the Rangers are willing to offer and goes somewhere else, he'll be a disappointment. 

He is a Ranger. And he sort of has to be.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

He's made $20M...if we give him $6Mx5 he'll have made 50M and can probably still make a out 10 more eeking out 1 year deals. 

He doesn't strike me as a guy who's scoffing at a $30M deal. 

Strome is also on record saying that he hated moving, hated being traded, and wants to stay in one place. 

I think he'd be open to something like a 5-5.5 per year, 6 year deal with a full NTC.

This feels like the least contentious free agent re-signing in recent history. They'll work out/down the AAV by giving him term and land this plane with ease, IMO. Probably 5.75x8. And honestly? Fuck it — who cares? Yeah, maybe it goes to shit in years seven and eight, but who gives a fuck if you win a Cup or two on the way? Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Shit, there will always be a Ken Holland to dump him on by then, anyway.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Stromes game is not made for playoff hockey. I truly hope I'm wrong and he excells in the playoffs but I just don't see it happening. Signing him could be a huge mistake if you're thinking of going deep into the playoffs.

that's what i'm thinking.  i'd like to see him in the playoffs before giving him a long term contract.  

17 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Stromes game is not made for playoff hockey. I truly hope I'm wrong and he excells in the playoffs but I just don't see it happening. Signing him could be a huge mistake if you're thinking of going deep into the playoffs.

Say you're right, whats an alternative solution to Strome? Finding a 2C is extremely difficult. Shit this team needs a 3rd line center also.

19 minutes ago, CBrowningPI said:

Making any conclusion about playoff performance about anyone on this roster not named Barclay Goodrow is an error because the sample size doesn't exist for any of it to matter. We got blown out of the water in a play in series like four years ago or something. That's the only experience anyone has. 

Strome signing for the amount we need him to sign to here would be a massive, massive win. Sure, if we were giving him 8M you'd have a point, but we're not because we can't. 

• Keeps it 100 1