• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Strome Talking Extension

Phil

For The Post has learned that president-general manager Chris Drury and the pending unrestricted free agent center’s representatives have begun to engage in talks aimed at maintaining the Strome-Artemi Panarin connection well beyond this season.

So the Blueshirts would like to wrap up Strome, who will turn 29 in July and is completing a two-year deal under which he is earning an AAV of $4.5 million. On the market, perhaps No. 16 could attract a long term deal in the neighborhood of $5.5 million to $6 million per. He is 21st among NHL centers in points per game and ninth in assists per since the start of 2019-20.

But that’s probably going to be too pricey for the Blueshirts. This is me here, not a source, but somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million to $5.25 million per sounds more like it. It might represent somewhat of a discount, but four or five more years of partnering with Panarin might have significant appeal to Strome. It does to the Rangers.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/01/kaapo-kakkos-rangers-future-hinges-more-on-ryan-strome-than-jack-hughes/

Nemeth can walk of course.

But at some point  (like now, it seems) the Rangers have to take a risk on a younger, still underwhelmingly producing player like Chytil over a proven one like Strome who will cost more.

That's how you end up with a steal of a contract like Zibanejad at 5.5M or so while he was a legit #1 center.

31 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

But at some point  (like now, it seems) the Rangers have to take a risk on a younger, still underwhelmingly producing player like Chytil over a proven one like Strome who will cost more.

That's why Chytil might be better off playing W than C. 

4 hours ago, Xander said:

I’m fine with that tbh. We have a lot of promising D in the pipeline. We’ll have to get clever with 3rd line center

4 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

Rangers need to upgrade at 3C anyway. Chytil ain't it.

2 hours ago, Costa said:

That's why Chytil might be better off playing W than C. 

Anyone else fine just making Goodrow our 3C and moving Chytil to the wing or trading him at the end of the season?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil said:

On the market, perhaps No. 16 could attract a long term deal in the neighborhood of $5.5 million to $6 million per.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

But that’s probably going to be too pricey for the Blueshirts. This is me here, not a source, but somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million to $5.25 million per sounds more like it.

this is hilarious

15 hours ago, CCCP said:

No

Why not? I think Goodrow has looked good in that spot and certainly fills that 3rd line role better than Chytil and wins faceoffs to boot. Makes his contract look a lot better if he's playing C too. We have to compromise somewhere capwise, I think Goodrow at 3C is a good compromise that makes for good value.

I like Goodrow on the wing. I notice him, his physical play, he makes moves defensively. When he's playing center, the only thing I notice is him trying to skate around in clown shoes.

Since being on that 4th line, all 3 guys have produced better offensive numbers than Lafreniere & Chytil, while also all being + players.

Does moving Goodrow to the 4th line get more production out of Lafreniere, Chytil, or Gauthier while also increasing productivity of the 4th line? I dont think so.

I felt like Laf - Goodrow - Gauthier was the beginning of that 3rd line looking good while Chytil was out. I do agree that the 4th line has looked a lot better though and that's been a plus. As well as Hunt has done and looked though, Chytil could potentially (probably IMO) do a lot more with the 1/2RW role and Hunt would keep the 4th line rocking. We'd also get way better FO numbers with Goodrow and Rooney being 2/4 of our centers.

Am I the only one really digging what the Chytil line has been doing for 2 or more weeks now?  They are just getting going. 

Why not roll 3 scoring lines and continue with the current 4th line, which has all 3 of those players doing exactly what we expected from them now that they've been put on the same line? 

Sign Strome, bridge Chytil or sign him long term (cheap) and go with Kravstov as the wing upgrade next year (cheap)

Rooney may be a cap casualty and that sucks. Loving that guys all around play. But if only he were better on faceoffs,  he could be the other guy to take your important draws.  Maybe find that guy over the summer.  Hows Barron doing on draws in Hartford?