• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Strome Talking Extension

Phil

6 minutes ago, josh said:

Too plain down the middle with Zibanejad Strome and Chytil. Unfortunate position for Strome, but playoffs were do or die for his Rangers tenure. 

Agree. Lots of sameness. If the choice is Copp or Strome, imo the choice is easy. Copp plays playoff hockey. Strome plays December hockey. Love Strome, but the team is going to move from regular season success to playoff success this summer.

Chytil has improved, but again, it's obvious he's not a 3rd line center on a playoff team.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

What about Patrice Bergeron on a 2 year deal? Boston doesn't have the cap space to re-sign him. One of the best faceoff men in the game. Gritty. Playoff veteran. Cup winner and a leader. 

I doubt he leaves Boston. He loves it up there. I think he’d take a discount to stay. If the Bruins run was really over, maybe. But it’s not just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I doubt he leaves Boston. He loves it up there. I think he’d take a discount to stay. If the Bruins run was really over, maybe. But it’s not just yet.

He'd have to take a league minimum deal. Raises for DeBrusk, McAvoy, and Lindholm kick in next season. They currently have less than $2mil in cap space.

55 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's too early to talk about this meaningfully, but Kadri is the big play if you want to dramatically alter your center combo and infuse the team with a productive playoff center.

Love the idea of Kadri to be honest. He's a bastard. We need that on our team. Colorado has a ton of space to re-sign him, however. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's too early to talk about this meaningfully, but Kadri is the big play if you want to dramatically alter your center combo and infuse the team with a productive playoff center.

Would love that but I don’t think that works $$ wise no? He’s def getting a raise after this season 

5 minutes ago, siddious said:

Would love that but I don’t think that works $$ wise no? He’s def getting a raise after this season 

That's what I mean about it not being able to be discussed meaningfully. It would require money out which means your dealing a significant piece of the current core out to make room.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

I was gonna make a joke about getting him for 10 minutes plus a stupid play in game 1 of the playoffs wouldn't be wise, but it seems like he's pulled it together. I haven't watched much of the COL/NSH series, so I can't speak to how he's playing exactly, but I've always loved Kadri and would welcome that asshole with open arms. 

But yeah, we're not even out of the fucking playoffs yet, let alone ready to see what COL does in their offseason. 

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

I was gonna make a joke about getting him for 10 minutes plus a stupid play in game 1 of the playoffs wouldn't be wise, but it seems like he's pulled it together. I haven't watched much of the COL/NSH series, so I can't speak to how he's playing exactly, but I've always loved Kadri and would welcome that asshole with open arms. 

But yeah, we're not even out of the fucking playoffs yet, let alone ready to see what COL does in their offseason. 

Right. Worth thinking about. But it's a pocket conversation for now.

Just now, Pete said:

Unless you think he's going to rebound, he's not an upgrade. 

I disagree there.  He’s got fairly identical offensive stats but hits 3x more and is close to 55% from the dot. It’s an upgrade because he gives you things your missing while not dropping off offense 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, rmc51 said:

The Rangers were 5th in the league this year in hits. They have more hits than the Penguins in this series. I hope this arbitrary statistic is not part of the decision making when choosing a top 6 C.

That’s a pretty ridiculous statement though. If anything, you’re making it arbitrary. There is a gigantic difference between a 4th liner that hits and a 2c that would be 3rd on our team in hits and 5th or so in scoring while also being our best faceoff guy at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That’s a pretty ridiculous statement though. If anything, you’re making it arbitrary. There is a gigantic difference between a 4th liner that hits and a 2c that would be 3rd on our team in hits and 5th or so in scoring while also being our best faceoff guy at the same time. 

You're assuming he's just going to do exactly what he did in Carolina, here. 

Copp was a good faceoff guy in Winnipeg. Not here. 

He's also 5-11, 190...I'm not convinced his hits do anything more than wreck his own body. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

I just don't draw much from it. A few of the best teams in the league going into the playoffs (Col, Fla, Car) were in the bottom half of the league in hits this year.

To me, it's about being hard on the puck. High effort, challenging puck carriers. A guy like Sebastian Aho does this in spades and doesn't pile up hits. I'm not saying Ryan Strome does this very well. I don't think he does. He's not a puck hound. But hit count isn't a good indicator IMO.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're assuming he's just going to do exactly what he did in Carolina, here. 

Copp was a good faceoff guy in Winnipeg. Not here. 

He's also 5-11, 190...I'm not convinced his hits do anything more than wreck his own body. 

Copp not being as good from the dot here has less to do with what jersey he’s wearing and more to do with guys getting used to his style, linemates, etc. it would even out eventually.  Aren’t you assuming Trocheck wouldn’t do it here? I see no reason to think that. 

as for his injuries he played 81 games this year, 47 out of 56 games last year, 62 out of 70 games the year before..

He had one season with a major ankle injury. Hes not someone that plays like half a season every year or anything. 

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I just don't draw much from it. A few of the best teams in the league going into the playoffs (Col, Fla, Car) were in the bottom half of the league in hits this year.

To me, it's about being hard on the puck. High effort, challenging puck carriers. A guy like Sebastian Aho does this in spades and doesn't pile up hits. I'm not saying Ryan Strome does this very well. I don't think he does. He's not a puck hound. But hit count isn't a good indicator IMO.

I wouldn’t draw much to it if it were the only stat but it’s just part of his picture. Can’t just ignore it. I’ve watched enough of his games to see it’s a part and not a focus. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Copp not being as good from the dot here has less to do with what jersey he’s wearing and more to do with guys getting used to his style, linemates, etc. it would even out eventually.  Aren’t you assuming Trocheck wouldn’t do it here? I see no reason to think that. 

as for his injuries he played 81 games this year, 47 out of 56 games last year, 62 out of 70 games the year before..

He had one season with a major ankle injury. Hes not someone that plays like half a season every year or anything. 

Anyone who's that size who uses their body as a missile should not be signed as a free agent, and we've seen this happen countless times.

Regarding face-offs, the Rangers are not a good Face-Off team. It has to do with the strategy and not anybody getting used to Copp. I pointed out many times that their wingers never help out the centers and you keep seeing the proof in our centers stats. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Anyone who's that size who uses their body as a missile should not be signed as a free agent, and we've seen this happen countless times.

Regarding face-offs, the Rangers are not a good Face-Off team. It has to do with the strategy and not anybody getting used to Copp. I pointed out many times that their wingers never help out the centers and you keep seeing the proof in our centers stats. 

Well, agree to disagree. It’s a little more than just the wingers not helping. 

The Rangers need to develop a line that can actually sustain a meaningful forecheck.  Zib, Strome, Chytil are all weak along the boards and none of them are "puck hounds". Being hard to play against is not just hitting people.  It is far too easy to break out against the Rangers.  The Rangers are a low volume shot team because they look for the perfect shot and the players without the puck look for soft spots on the ice to receive a pass when simplifying would be to go to the net and pressure the goal and bang at rebounds.  The top 6 outside of Kreider does not do any of this.  The Rangers top 6 has been and is basically Zib/Kreider/whomever and Strome/Panarin/Whomever.

So when discussing this without getting butt hurt about Strome you're basically discussing 4 players, 1 of which will simplify and play playoff hockey.  The other three are needing a change because it is not in their DNA to change themselves.

Strome is an easy choice because he carries no contract after this season.  the Rangers are in cap crunch and it's impossible to believe that if this team goes out with the top 6 failing as bad as it has how the Rangers could cap out paying this top 6 to stay together long term.  

The lack of compete is truly alarming.  Strome was quoted as saying as much after Game 4.  There should be no discussion about compete level at this time of year, if it not a given and if it needs to be discussed something is seriously wrong.

Meaningful changes will require clearing a large amount of cap.  That means either being it all on this playoffs being an anomaly or trading a core piece.      

• Bullseye 1