• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

General Videogame/Gaming Thread

Cash or Czech

19 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Haven’t been into Call of Duty for many years. I played some of the new one, and specifically the DMZ mode with a couple buddies. It is truly a fantastic game mode. I’ve also been working through the Campaign which has also been fun, but DMZ is the bees knees at least if you have a couple people to squad up with…and it’s free to play.

I haven't dug into DMZ yet, but would definitely be interested in checking it out. It's like a PvPvE kind of setup?

19 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I haven't dug into DMZ yet, but would definitely be interested in checking it out. It's like a PvPvE kind of setup?

Yeah you are placed in a huge map like a battle royale, but AI enemies everywhere mixes with real players. Almost constant action. Pretty intense.

Before you load up, you select weapons and gear from your stash that you have that you want to bring with you to use in a match. Once in a match, you have to reach one of three extraction points and extract successfully in a certain amount of time. If you die or run out of time, you lose all the gear you brought in or collected during the match. There are missions to complete, loot, and different things to do on the map to collect good weapons to grow your stash, but ya gotta exfil.

I haven’t played it but supposedly similar to a game called Escape from Tarkov which is fairly popular

Edited by rmc51

On 11/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, rmc51 said:

Yeah you are placed in a huge map like a battle royale, but AI enemies everywhere mixes with real players. Almost constant action. Pretty intense.

Before you load up, you select weapons and gear from your stash that you have that you want to bring with you to use in a match. Once in a match, you have to reach one of three extraction points and extract successfully in a certain amount of time. If you die or run out of time, you lose all the gear you brought in or collected during the match. There are missions to complete, loot, and different things to do on the map to collect good weapons to grow your stash, but ya gotta exfil.

I haven’t played it but supposedly similar to a game called Escape from Tarkov which is fairly popular

It's kinda-sorta like Tarkov, yeah. 

I've been trying like hell to get the gun the scientist drops in the radiation zone. It's just a clusterfuck in there between the radiation, the sheer number of AI enemies, and the other players all trying to get the same gun. Then once you get the gun, you have to successfully exfil. 

It's fun though! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got my first 4K TV, new Samsung model, and I was wondering how much better the visuals are in game with HDR. Does it depend on the game, is it kind of gimmicky when it comes to video games?

Also, is the Switch limited to 1080p with only the new OLED model capable of higher resolutions when docked? Does it at least upscale the 1080p image at all?

On 12/9/2022 at 10:50 AM, Sharpshooter said:

Some trailer highlights from the Game Awards last night. Elden Ring won Game of the Year!

Never played death stranding so can’t comment but Jedi survivor looks awesome, first game was fun as hell to play I’ll def be getting it. FF XVI looks great too. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I just got my first 4K TV, new Samsung model, and I was wondering how much better the visuals are in game with HDR. Does it depend on the game, is it kind of gimmicky when it comes to video games?

Also, is the Switch limited to 1080p with only the new OLED model capable of higher resolutions when docked? Does it at least upscale the 1080p image at all?

I’ve only played nhl23 which is probably not the best test on my 4k tv but I really think tv’s are just at the point where the improvements are so small it’s not worth the investment If you’re not a die hard tv fanatic.

maybe my opinion will change with a better game.

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

Never played death stranding so can’t comment but Jedi survivor looks awesome, first game was fun as hell to play I’ll def be getting it. FF XVI looks great too. 

I’ve only played nhl23 which is probably not the best test on my 4k tv but I really think tv’s are just at the point where the improvements are so small it’s not worth the investment If you’re not a die hard tv fanatic.

maybe my opinion will change with a better game.

I'm coming from a 12 year old 1080p television, so pretty much anything will look amazing. lol

Death Stranding has a cool atmosphere, story and characters but the gameplay loop isn't the best. There are some good deviations, but it can feel like a real slog at times. I really hope the sequel improves that. It has to.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm coming from a 12 year old 1080p television, so pretty much anything will look amazing. lol

Death Stranding has a cool atmosphere, story and characters but the gameplay loop isn't the best. There are some good deviations, but it can feel like a real slog at times. I really hope the sequel improves that. It has to.

12 years old? Yea you’ll notice a difference haha

I’ll have  to check ds out. 

also is that a cyber punk expansion or a whole new game?

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

12 years old? Yea you’ll notice a difference haha

I’ll have  to check ds out. 

also is that a cyber punk expansion or a whole new game?

It's an expansion that takes place in a different area of Night City with a bunch of new characters and stories. I think CDPR teased thar some things you see in the expansion could make its way into the sequel.

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

It's an expansion that takes place in a different area of Night City with a bunch of new characters and stories. I think CDPR teased thar some things you see in the expansion could make its way into the sequel.

Nice!  They released stuff in the game since I’ve played it so I have a lot of catching up to do. 

Just now, siddious said:

Nice!  They released stuff in the game since I’ve played it so I have a lot of catching up to do. 

At this point you might want to wait until the expansion comes out before diving back in. It's the only expansion it is getting with likely another large update to go with it. It might be awhile before we get it, though. They said "sometime this year". It's up to you. I probably won't wait to finish it and look at the expansion as an epilouge of sorts.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

At this point you might want to wait until the expansion comes out before diving back in. It's the only expansion it is getting with likely another large update to go with it. It might be awhile before we get it, though. They said "sometime this year". It's up to you. I probably won't wait to finish it and look at the expansion as an epilouge of sorts.

With a 1 yr old at home I may not have a choice. 

about the only games I have time for are on my phone when he’s napping …. Which leads me My next question;

anyone have any good mobile game recommendations? I was looking for something strategy-ish (although I’ll settle for anything good) but everything just seems like a it’s pay-to-play these days. Wtf happened to mobile games?! 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

about the only games I have time for are on my phone when he’s napping …. Which leads me My next question;

anyone have any good mobile game recommendations? I was looking for something strategy-ish (although I’ll settle for anything good) but everything just seems like a it’s pay-to-play these days. Wtf happened to mobile games?! 

I can't help you there since I don't really like mobile gaming. Unfortunately, yes, they almost all are bogged down by micro transactions. It's one reason I avoid it.

15 hours ago, siddious said:

Vampire Survivors, Marvel Snap, Slay the Spire are my current favorite mobile games (although they're also on other platforms as well)

There are plenty of good games out there - and a lot of them have been ported from console/PC to phones. Take Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. One of the best games of all time is available for your phone and I think it costs $10? Amazing. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, siddious said:

Couldn’t even find Tetris for fucks sake 

There's a Marvel RPG out there, maybe Strike Force? forgot what it's called. It's free to play, took me a good year before I stopped because I wouldn't pay for upgrades. But it's a decent time killer.

• Thanks 1

PS controller question.  Not sure if anyone here is good with the hardware or not but I have a controller that has one of the directional buttons stuck in game but the button isn't physically stuck on the controller.  Possibly a contact under the button?  Anyone know if its an easy fix if I crack it open?

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

PS controller question.  Not sure if anyone here is good with the hardware or not but I have a controller that has one of the directional buttons stuck in game but the button isn't physically stuck on the controller.  Possibly a contact under the button?  Anyone know if its an easy fix if I crack it open?

might be worth taking the case off and just messing with it 

In what was a rather car-centric press conference from Sony, the company finally shared footage and details from the upcoming "Gran Turismo" movie. The trailer is above, and if nothing else, it's going to have some excellent shots of great race cars.

The trailer is a behind-the-scenes look at the film with some of the basic details of the plot. Rather than trying to tie a story to the gameplay of "Gran Turismo" video games, it's based on the real-life story of Jann Mardenborough. Mardenborough is a professional racing driver who got his start winning a GT Academy series. The series was a competition for Gran Turismo players to move from virtual racing into the real thing, with the winner getting the opportunity to compete in professional races.

Apparently the film will cover some of Mardenborough's personal life, too, as the trailer mentions a love story.

But what the trailer focuses on mostly is the filming of the driving, and it looks excellent. Particularly neat are some of the shots that evoke the racing game, such as a third-person chase cam that should be familiar to just about anyone who has played any racing video game in the past 20 years. During Sony's press conference, director Neil Blomkamp noted that other shots such as the bumper cam and cockpit cams will be featured. Some of the more traditional movie angles also look excellent, all featuring real race cars on real tracks. 

"Gran Turismo" will hit theaters on August 11, 2023. Mardenborough will be portrayed by Archie Madekwe, and the movie also stars Orlando Bloom. It will initially only be in theaters, not on streaming.

Gonna have to check this out purely for the nostalgia factor.