• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

General Videogame/Gaming Thread

Cash or Czech

I tried doing all those fancy searches and whatnot and couldn't find an old videogame thread to revive, so figure I'll start a new one. Got into PC gaming in the last four years, happy with my rig and waiting for the next gen Intel/AMD CPUs to upgrade to. Been playing Amazon's new MMO New World, alongside some casual FIFA22, Splitgate, and picked up Civ6 on sale a couple weeks ago.

Current gaming setup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

What're you all playing right now and enjoying? Looking forward to COD Vanguard or BF2042? If anyone wants to be friends on Steam lemme know lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xander said:

I tried doing all those fancy searches and whatnot and couldn't find an old videogame thread to revive, so figure I'll start a new one. Got into PC gaming in the last four years, happy with my rig and waiting for the next gen Intel/AMD CPUs to upgrade to. Been playing Amazon's new MMO New World, alongside some casual FIFA22, Splitgate, and picked up Civ6 on sale a couple weeks ago.

Current gaming setup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

What're you all playing right now and enjoying? Looking forward to COD Vanguard or BF2042? If anyone wants to be friends on Steam lemme know lol.

I'll post a pic of my comp. later but my old one gave up and I dont do it much any more but needed a new comp capable of 3D rendering + floor plan drawing and incidentally playing sick video games so I got a new one about two months ago.

So far only game I played was cyberpunk which ran like a hot knife through butter and was pretty fun. Reminded me of the original Deus Ex game which I loved when it came out years ago.

Is New World any good? 

11 minutes ago, siddious said:

I'll post a pic of my comp. later but my old one gave up and I dont do it much any more but needed a new comp capable of 3D rendering + floor plan drawing and incidentally playing sick video games so I got a new one about two months ago.

So far only game I played was cyberpunk which ran like a hot knife through butter and was pretty fun. Reminded me of the original Deus Ex game which I loved when it came out years ago.

Is New World any good? 

I really like the core of it. I haven't gotten into any of the large scale PVP yet but I want to. Mostly just clowning around with a few friends I used to play other MMOs with. Definitely a lot of bugs to fix as well, but it doesn't manage to ruin the experience at all. Amazon finally pulled off a successful game

10 minutes ago, Xander said:

I really like the core of it. I haven't gotten into any of the large scale PVP yet but I want to. Mostly just clowning around with a few friends I used to play other MMOs with. Definitely a lot of bugs to fix as well, but it doesn't manage to ruin the experience at all. Amazon finally pulled off a successful game

It looked interesting I may have to check it out

45 minutes ago, Xander said:

Current gaming setup:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice looking rig. Specs?

I want to build a mini ATX rig later on when hardware stock gets back to normal. I’m currently using an old build I was given that does the trick for now. Play mostly FPS games like bf3/4, cs go, dod source, and COD MW.

6 minutes ago, Shane Falco said:

Nice looking rig. Specs?

I want to build a mini ATX rig later on when hardware stock gets back to normal. I’m currently using an old build I was given that does the trick for now. Play mostly FPS games like bf3/4, cs go, dod source, and COD MW.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

ASUS B350-F mobo (the CPU/Mobo will be my next upgrade)

Asus Dual OC RTX 3070 (yes yes, I strapped a ferrari engine to a Honda Civic)

16gb Ryzen Vengeance RGB RAM 3000 mhz, with two additional sticks of the fake RAM lighting kit

Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO cooler with V1Tech custom Demon Slayer cover

Corsair 4000D Airflow case with 6x Corsair LL120 fans

Crucial 2TB NVMe m.2 storage

Cablemod custom sleeved light blue PSU cables

That's a pretty dope setup. I'll post my rig when I get a chance. How did you manage to get an RTX3070? I've struck out countless times. 

As far as games, I'd love to play more, but I just can't get the time. I spend most of my free time just playing Rocket League since it's super easy to play a couple games, feel fulfilled, and hop off. I enjoy Black Ops Cold War, but even those games can take too long. I did not like the betas for Vanguard or BF2042. Vanguard was a clusterfuck, way too much mayhem. BF2042 was a pathetic beta - it felt like a shitty free-to-play BF knockoff. 

14 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

That's a pretty dope setup. I'll post my rig when I get a chance. How did you manage to get an RTX3070? I've struck out countless times. 

As far as games, I'd love to play more, but I just can't get the time. I spend most of my free time just playing Rocket League since it's super easy to play a couple games, feel fulfilled, and hop off. I enjoy Black Ops Cold War, but even those games can take too long. I did not like the betas for Vanguard or BF2042. Vanguard was a clusterfuck, way too much mayhem. BF2042 was a pathetic beta - it felt like a shitty free-to-play BF knockoff. 

Oh I see how it is now. You leave me alone in BF4.. for rocket league?! Bitch!

4 hours ago, Shane Falco said:

One map is a warm up, coward. Blowing shit up > playing soccer in cars. 

Thumbs down to your post if I could 👎

Rocket League is fuckin dope, especially the hockey mode, doubly so over NHL when your idiot defender gets himself banned for a week because of a questionable name.

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing mostly CoD Vanguard, keeping an eye on the new Battlefield. It had an awful launch but they're fixing and balancing now. Will wait for a sale I guess.

Steam sale is on right now. Cyberpunk 2077 is 50% off, and Dark Souls: Remastered is on sale for the first time in two years. Anybody picking up anything good?

My oldest is 12 and he's a gaming nerd. The plus thing for me is he doesn't do consoles. No Fortnight or COD or whatever it is.

So, for Xmas, I'm trying to get him set up without spending 4 grand.

I bought a decent gaming laptop, about 3 years old. Good enough vid card. I had it refurbished as screen was busted. Cost me $500 total. 

My question is, should I get a nice monitor and tether the two? Is that a thing? I guess in that scenario, the laptop functions as a tower.

Kid is 12 and just plays simulations. Maybe some Fallout, but mostly esoteric Roblox community builds designed around world domination.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

My question is, should I get a nice monitor and tether the two? Is that a thing? I guess in that scenario, the laptop functions as a tower.

go extra wide and curved. it’ll be the last one you’ll have to buy until their 18. 

got my kid this thing and he’s set: VIOTEK GNV34DB 34-Inch Ultrawide Gaming Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWPMRXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y2WDBARJSMWAN6ZNSWZP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

My oldest is 12 and he's a gaming nerd. The plus thing for me is he doesn't do consoles. No Fortnight or COD or whatever it is.

So, for Xmas, I'm trying to get him set up without spending 4 grand.

I bought a decent gaming laptop, about 3 years old. Good enough vid card. I had it refurbished as screen was busted. Cost me $500 total. 

Kid is 12 and just plays simulations. Maybe some Fallout, but mostly esoteric Roblox community builds designed around world domination.

Since you bought a laptop here, yes, but with some caveats since many laptops don't operate on the assumption of an external video source.

Your graphics card will absolutely need something better than a DVI connection to go anywhere beyond standard HD. If you have HDMI, great, that's a start, but you still won't want to break the bank on a gaming monitor. You can get a solid 24" ASUS HD monitor for pretty cheap (certainly under 200 usd), and there's no sense in buying something that your graphics card can't handle (either physically or otherwise). You can use a converter, but I'd imagine you lose something in the process.

If you've got a DisplayPort option - that's the time where you go and spring for the gaming monitor - no need to go any higher than 1440p, make sure you get the lowest refresh rate possible.

• 2 weeks later...