• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

General Videogame/Gaming Thread

Cash or Czech

Kinda same, always play on the PC, but never got into building one from the best components like a true nerd.

In any Event, my PC is roughly 5 years old at this point and the game plays okay, but tends to struggle a bit after some time and in areas with many NPCs.

It's fine for now, but I've read it will enter the "big city" later and someone playing on HDD like I am discribed that situation as "lagging on dial-up modem level". 😅

Was already thinking about upgrading my PC, guess it's really time now. (and hope it's just that and not the GPU as well...)

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

How is BG3 compared to Divinity: Original Sin II? I know Baldur's Gate plays just like Dungeons & Dragons, which isn't really for everybody. BG is a great franchise still, but Divinity felt more my speed when playing. Having said, I love D&D so I really wouldn't mind the deviation.

The combat is turn-based like Divinity, but all of the rules are D&D 5e.

To me, it feels like a Divinity mod with the 5e ruleset, but that's not a disparaging remark in any way. It's a fantastic game. 

I've put 18 hours in and I'm nowhere near being done with Act I. There's so much to do. So many locations and quests. Combat took some getting used to but is fun and strategic now. Builds and theorycrafting are coming together, but you can also just look up optimal builds if that's your style. 

10 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I've put 18 hours in and I'm nowhere near being done with Act I. There's so much to do. So many locations and quests. Combat took some getting used to but is fun and strategic now. Builds and theorycrafting are coming together, but you can also just look up optimal builds if that's your style. 

I'v been stuck in the Goblin hideout for 3 real life days now. So much to do, especially as it has a certain place below.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

I just got below. I killed all but two people in the entire camp and hideout 😄 

I started the slaughter inside the hideout 😆

Later I learned that you can recruit the Drow as a Partymember, might have to be an Evil char though.

So far there's a serious lack of tanks, I guess the programmers have stats that show people love to play fighters and paladins. 🤣

So it's the rude green one, Shadowheart and the Vampire (that sure was a telegraphed reveal lol) for me so far.

Edited by H-Dreamer

39 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

I started the slaughter inside the hideout 😆

Later I learned that you can recruit the Drow as a Partymember, might have to be an Evil char though.

So far there's a serious lack of tanks, I guess the programmers have stats that show people love to play fighters and paladins. 🤣

So it's the rude green one, Shadowheart and the Vampire (that sure was a telegraphed reveal lol) for me so far.

There's no tanking in DnD 😉 

As someone who plays a weekly 5e game, I'm enjoying how similar it is. Gotta increase your AC via Dex and spells like shield!

I ran with a fighter, so I benched green girl pretty early. Got the wizard in my group quick though to reign down from afar.

9 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

There's no tanking in DnD 😉 

As someone who plays a weekly 5e game, I'm enjoying how similar it is. Gotta increase your AC via Dex and spells like shield!

I ran with a fighter, so I benched green girl pretty early. Got the wizard in my group quick though to reign down from afar.

I guess. Especially with the amount of enemies that just jump into the middle of your group and wreck havoc. healing potions usually last one tough fight.

Love the small but hilarious moments, that I myself have yet to trigger, but I've seen a streamer try to pick-pocket Shadowhearts panties after freeing her and aggroing her over it and someone yeeted the gnome tied to the windmill into the next town. 🤣

I also like the freedom in character creation.

Alright so I watched some videos on starlight last night and did some reading too.

im not a huge Bethesda fan… I thought fallout was on the more boring side but this game looks incredible. Like a much much better version of mass effect. 

hopefully the in game stuff is as awesome as the previews look 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone caught any of Gamescom? What has you excited? The more I see of Starfield, the more I want it. lol It reminds me of No Man's Sky, but more polished and with more content from the get go, and more RPG elements. I still want to try Baldur's Gate 3 at some point, but Starfield is going to be a huge time sink as it is, and more of a priority right now to play.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for Starfield reviews on performance and bugs before pulling the trigger. I only just completed Act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3, so I have some time to wait if Starfield is a buggy mess as Bethesda usually does produce on launch.

Starfield is a must buy for me, but not a Day 1/preorder purchase.

Also Armored Core 6 looks sick and launches today I think

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm waiting for Starfield reviews on performance and bugs before pulling the trigger. I only just completed Act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3, so I have some time to wait if Starfield is a buggy mess as Bethesda usually does produce on launch.

Starfield is a must buy for me, but not a Day 1/preorder purchase.

Also Armored Core 6 looks sick and launches today I think

It launches tomorrow, but yeah it looks great. Despite really liking mech stuff, I've never played any of the past games. I will be changing that.

If you want to check out BG3 you really need to bring time. I am at 65 hours played and feels like I am at most 1/3 through the game.

Granted about 10 hours might be reloads and me slowly crawling due to regions with too many NPCs for my GPU to handle, but the options are massive.

Edited by H-Dreamer

24 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

If you want to check out BG3 you really need to bring time. I am at 65 hours played and feels like I am at most 1/3 through the game.

Granted about 10 hours might be reloads and me slowly crawling due to regions with too many NPCs for my GPU to handle, but the options are massive.

It’s wild how quickly you lose track of time in BG3. Fights can be the worst if they go on for a while or you need a few tries to get them right. I fudge a lot though so I’m not exactly doing things that more capable and knowledgeable players would do. Being away from my PC for 2 weeks has allowed me to read up on some better strategies. Whether I implement them is another story.

I’m somewhere in Act 2. Not sure how much I have left but I feel like I breezed through a lot from leveling in Act 1.

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

It’s wild how quickly you lose track of time in BG3. Fights can be the worst if they go on for a while or you need a few tries to get them right. I fudge a lot though so I’m not exactly doing things that more capable and knowledgeable players would do. Being away from my PC for 2 weeks has allowed me to read up on some better strategies. Whether I implement them is another story.

I’m somewhere in Act 2. Not sure how much I have left but I feel like I breezed through a lot from leveling in Act 1.

I am no way close to playing perfect lol, but I enjoy it and I progress anyway, unlike Pathfinder my last cRPG where it was at some point impossible to win fights if you didn't minmax your characters right, so I switched to storymode to get my moneys worth.

Fights can be enjoyably random, especially with all the fluids that remain on the ground and nothing like the whole room explosing because you missed the barrel of alcohol next to the enemy and your fireball now started a chain-reaction. 🤣

The results are so different sometimes too.

Like in Act 2 with the Harpers:

Spoiler

When the Birdman comes to kidnap the Cleric, I have him at 2 HP quickly, 3 of his minions suddenly storm in during Round 2 and knock her out, triggering a cutscene of him taking her away, the barrier breaks and every Harper not named Jaheira suddenly turns Zombie and we have to fight our way out.

I ended up re-loading, because Jaheira decided on being stupid, ran into a crowd and got herself killed, plus the smith who has to repair Karlach's heart also died, so yh I was not taking that result. lol

2nd try I even prevent the minion-rush and save the cleric.

• LOL 1

10 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

I am no way close to playing perfect lol, but I enjoy it and I progress anyway, unlike Pathfinder my last cRPG where it was at some point impossible to win fights if you didn't minmax your characters right, so I switched to storymode to get my moneys worth.

Fights can be enjoyably random, especially with all the fluids that remain on the ground and nothing like the whole room explosing because you missed the barrel of alcohol next to the enemy and your fireball now started a chain-reaction. 🤣

The results are so different sometimes too.

Like in Act 2 with the Harpers:

Reveal hidden contents

That fight was a breeze for me, I think I just had my entire party accidentally placed well in the room, but others have been wackier or near impossible without a different approach.

Spoiler

I was able to kill the Goblin priestess in a covert way, and then completely bungled the other two leaders in a way that I had to fight my way out. I had Gale repeatedly casting an illusion until I could ledge the entire group around the mind flayer into the spider pit below with thunder. That worked out pretty well until this one fucking goblin kept sniping me through like a 1 in hole that I couldn’t shoot back through. That bought one of their NPCs enough time to ledge kill two of mine in an attempt to push the wall hack goblin. But that was just tedious.

There’s a fight later in Act 2 that I had to restrategize multiple times with different companions. The enemies start off invisible waiting for an ambush but you can ambush them. The only way to ambush them, though, is to put your back to a ledge…you can figure out what happened on 90% of my attempts. I had to pop a Spectator and just unleash total chaos while I did as much AOE and stealth damage as possible. I really need to put Hungers of Hadar on someone more useful to me than Wyll.

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

That fight was a breeze for me, I think I just had my entire party accidentally placed well in the room, but others have been wackier or near impossible without a different approach.

Hide contents

I was able to kill the Goblin priestess in a covert way, and then completely bungled the other two leaders in a way that I had to fight my way out. I had Gale repeatedly casting an illusion until I could ledge the entire group around the mind flayer into the spider pit below with thunder. That worked out pretty well until this one fucking goblin kept sniping me through like a 1 in hole that I couldn’t shoot back through. That bought one of their NPCs enough time to ledge kill two of mine in an attempt to push the wall hack goblin. But that was just tedious.

There’s a fight later in Act 2 that I had to restrategize multiple times with different companions. The enemies start off invisible waiting for an ambush but you can ambush them. The only way to ambush them, though, is to put your back to a ledge…you can figure out what happened on 90% of my attempts. I had to pop a Spectator and just unleash total chaos while I did as much AOE and stealth damage as possible. I really need to put Hungers of Hadar on someone more useful to me than Wyll.

I think it might have been an initiative issue for my first try, basically the enemy acting before anyone else in the house, so none were entangled in a fight and just rushed the story-triggering NPC ignoring me entirely.

Spoiler

Getting pushed of a ledge sure tiggered some reloads for me lol

The damn shadow-mobs sure are annoying I always fail the awareness rolls somehow, so I gave Shadowheart some extra on her last level up.

For now I am clearing side-quests in the ruins before I head to the Cult-Tower, because I definitly went to the Goblin Camp too early in act 1, I think I missed out on some stuff in Act 1 and was too high-level for most of what I did find, so it was too easy.

I even had Lazarus before actually exploring his grave.

For those playing BG3, who are you running as your companions?

Almost always in my party:

Shadowheart – Bae + Healing

Main rotation:

Lae’zel – The amount of attacks she can make in a single turn is ridiculous. I built her pretty tanky and gave her an item to up her dexterity to add some range. She’s my go-to melee companion.

Karlach – Kind of the same as Lae’zel but less range. I err towards Lae’zel because I built her better with HP, range, and number of moves in a turn. 

Wyll - Hungers of Hadar go brrrrr. Otherwise he’s too niche for how I built him. But HoH is just a must.

Gale - My biggest issue is that he’s squishy. I also accidentally started a romance path with him and he just keeps persisting despite me never returning interest. So that’s awkward.

Have touched once in Act 2:

Halsin – I probably just have no idea how to build a Druid because he’s useless AF to me.

I literally just use him as storage for books, letters, and scrolls: 

Astarion – I’ve only brought him in during Act 2 once and it was because of a specific character interaction I didn’t want to miss. Otherwise, he’s redundant given that I’m also a rogue. He’s only of use if I need to cheese hiding and sniping.