• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trading Panarin?

The problem with players like Panarin is that their contribution is sharply delineated by a few things that they do exceptionally well.

In Panarin's case he sets up his mates very well for good scoring opportunities and he's really devastating on the PP when there are fewer defenders on the ice to hinder this primary ability.  He's excellent when the Rangers have the puck, albeit probably shooting less than he ought to.

However matched with that contribution are a lot of things that lesser players do better than him.  He's a very non-physical player who avoids using his body to set the play.  He's an uninspired defensive player who makes an occasional play but often just oles when in a critical situation in his own zone.  He's not particularly good as a forechecker although he's great in the offensive zone *when the Rangers already have the puck*. 

When Panarin is motivated and skating hard he's one of the best players in the NHL however it feels like he is going at 90% most of the time.

One of the problems with having a great player like this on your roster is that other players look to him for leadership and to set an example and if you can't do the things he does, which most players can't, you wind up emulating an imperfect play style and maybe not doing some things that you can do better.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:47 PM, Ozzy said:

The guy's a massive talent...watch what he does to win us a cup in a couple months! 

If they're going to win a cup, they better figure out a way to play some defense, as well as be a little more physical (maybe a lot).

• Keeps it 100 1

I wonder if his point total equals his giveaway total.  The dude completes like one of every four passes, with the other three being cross ice giveaways.  Plus he can't hold onto the puck for more than 3 seconds or he'll get creamed.   They have him listed as 6 ' tall now.  Lmfao.  Other than that he puts up great numbers....I don't know if they're worth 11 million...but great numbers

13 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

If they're going to win a cup, they better figure out a way to play some defense, as well as be a little more physical (maybe a lot).

You're right, Jammer!  But somehow I have a feeling these guys are going to figure it out.  They have about a 1/4 of a season to get the mix right, and get their "system" functional.

Like I said in another post;  we're in a win-win situation...If we can put it all together, this team I think can win a Cup...no doubt!

If we fail, or take an early flop, Gallant goes, and we get a coach in here with a pretty good combo of talent that WILL win one!

(I'm hoping Quenneville....)  But either way, we're going to be in very good shape, especially with the Magic man, Mr Drury at the helm!!!

• Bullseye 1

Let’s just see what happens.

Because at this point… what else did anyone want them to do… and what haven’t they done, that anyone wanted them to do?

Honestly…

Cause we liked them all coming into the season.

We liked most of what they did last year.

They are coming off an ECF run.

They’ve played well thus far this season.

They’ve added amongst the best players you really could possibly have added.

They have 20 games to figure it out.

Then they have to elevate play to go through a playoff push.

But guess what… they’ve added proven playoff performers to a group that has already established playoff performers among it.

Its there.

Just play hockey

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Believe 1

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You're right, Jammer!  But somehow I have a feeling these guys are going to figure it out.  They have about a 1/4 of a season to get the mix right, and get their "system" functional.

Like I said in another post;  we're in a win-win situation...If we can put it all together, this team I think can win a Cup...no doubt!

If we fail, or take an early flop, Gallant goes, and we get a coach in here with a pretty good combo of talent that WILL win one!

(I'm hoping Quenneville....)  But either way, we're going to be in very good shape, especially with the Magic man, Mr Drury at the helm!!!

Usually, winning the Presidents cup plants a bullseye squarely on the back of whoever wins it. Just my opinion, but with the Rangers going all out and bringing Kane into the mix, that bullseye might just have switched to them. They better be ready to play hard, because teams will be coming after them. They didn't look ready against Ottawa, or the Bruins. And to me, that's a real problem. 

Gallants problem is that he's a players coach, and with the right team it's aces. However, with the wrong team problems arise. I'll leave it at that, otherwise this will end up being 10 to 12 paragraphs long and I've got things to do. But you know what where I'm heading with this. 

• Keeps it 100 1

14 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

Usually, winning the Presidents cup plants a bullseye squarely on the back of whoever wins it. Just my opinion, but with the Rangers going all out and bringing Kane into the mix, that bullseye might just have switched to them. They better be ready to play hard, because teams will be coming after them. They didn't look ready against Ottawa, or the Bruins. And to me, that's a real problem. 

Gallants problem is that he's a players coach, and with the right team it's aces. However, with the wrong team problems arise. I'll leave it at that, otherwise this will end up being 10 to 12 paragraphs long and I've got things to do. But you know what where I'm heading with this. 

I sure do....just keep the faith, my good man.  I have a funny feeling some great things are about to unfold.

• Applause 1

A few days break to get some work in at practice, reset and get settled after a bit of a tumultuous trade deadline week will be good.

They are too good of a team to be defined by a rough stretch in late Feb-Early March. There's plenty of time to get hot again. Even the best of teams have rough stretches. 

All that to say, I think when we are dialed in, I have full confidence in this group to get through 2 rounds. Boston is going to be a really tough matchup in the ECF should we get there. But as good as they've been, to get through Toronto and Tampa before us is not going to be an easy task for them either.

Also, we aren't trading Panarin

• Believe 1

They were just on a seven game winning streak not too long ago and went on the quietest 23-4 (or whatever it was) run of all time. They were due for a bad stretch. Get it out of the system now, and hopefully the newer guys get more acclimated and go from there. We see how much better Tarasenko has been. These are big moves and they can take time. I thought the few days off came at the right time. Hopefully they get a few good practices in and can come out recharged. They are going to need it with the games they have coming up.

• Believe 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's not, though. Where the hell is he gonna go? You ready to dump him for Karlsson?

There will be a whole offseason to speculate that. I’ll wait to see what happens here. Not throwing in the towel yet, but this is dangerously close to him getting run out of town. I don’t think he’s got the chops to take the kind of abuse he will hear if the season ends this way. That NMC would open right up…

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

There will be a whole offseason to speculate that. I’ll wait to see what happens here. Not throwing in the towel yet, but this is dangerously close to him getting run out of town. I don’t think he’s got the chops to take the kind of abuse he will hear if the season ends this way. That NMC would open right up…

I mean, I don't disagree, I just don't see a viable path anywhere. The path was Florida (Bobrovsky reunion) before the Tkachuk trade. That's gone now.

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

LOL I was just going to do this.

Nice turnover and lack of back checking on that shorthanded goal against you lazy piece of crap.

This is just a terrible take, Fox threw a bouncing puck across the blue line. That was a terrible pass that bounced a foot in front of Panarin and was flipping 8" off the ice. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This is just a terrible take, Fox threw a bouncing puck across the blue line. That was a terrible pass that bounced a foot in front of Panarin and was flipping 8" off the ice. 

He needed a lacrosse stick to hold that pass!!  This is not all on Panarin.  They all have sucked moose dick the last 3 games.  Fortunately it's a 7 game series.