• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: League-Wide Interest in DeAngelo; Trade Likely a Matter of Days

Scott

It won’t happen. The Rangers are prepared to die on this hill. It’s a moot point and mostly ADAs own fault. However, as I said multiple times, it was idiotic to healthy scratch the guy 40 minutes into a season you just fought him back in. He was lost right then, right there. No doubt he would help offensively now, but won’t happen. It’s over.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That ship has sailed.

the fact he hasn't been dealt could possibly indicate the league wide interest was a figment of Dreger's imagination unless Gorton is still sorting through all the offers?

or he's just seen as too toxic regardless of his talent?

Brooks did an article/interview with him that was in the post today. Don't care enough to pull the quotes etc. But here is the link.

Tony DeAngelo bares his soul in first comments since Rangers exile

https://nypost.com/2021/02/13/ex-rangers-player-tony-deangelo-bares-soul-in-interview/

It won?t happen. The Rangers are prepared to die on this hill. It?s a moot point and mostly ADAs own fault. However, as I said multiple times, it was idiotic to healthy scratch the guy 40 minutes into a season you just fought him back in. He was lost right then, right there. No doubt he would help offensively now, but won?t happen. It?s over.
Or, it's another scratch in a long line of discipline over 2+ seasons. You don't get a clean slate with a clean contract.

Or, it's another scratch in a long line of discipline over 2+ seasons. You don't get a clean slate with a clean contract.

If you could get ADA to the end of the season as a productive player here, he might then have some trade value. As of now, if any team is interested they're simply waiting out the buyout. The asset is losing value every day he's working at some south Jersey rink running the in house pee wees rather than taking Libor Hayek's spot and running the PP. Teams don't have to give up any assets once he's bought out. Along with already mess of badly mismanaged dead cap space on the books, this is bad cap management.

If you could get ADA to the end of the season as a productive player here, he might then have some trade value. As of now, if any team is interested they're simply waiting out the buyout. The asset is losing value every day he's working at some south Jersey rink running the in house pee wees rather than taking Libor Hayek's spot and running the PP. Teams don't have to give up any assets once he's bought out. Along with already mess of badly mismanaged dead cap space on the books, this is bad cap management.
In theory I agree with you. And the PR sprint to rehab his image is well under way.

But the fact is, there must have been something really egregious going on for them to not want him around their team. It just doesn't add up.

And please don't tell me "Quinn". Davidson and Gorton have influence there to say they can't trade him unless he's playing.

By PR sprint, I guess you mean people who actually know the person, and actually understand the situation speaking up, to blow some of the pernicious garbage said about the player out of the water?

Pretty embarrassing, some of the stuff written about him, including here. The palpable, gleeful joy so obvious when the story broke. The absolute certainty at what the substance of his OHL suspension contained.

All compete bullshit.

LMAO

By PR sprint, I guess you mean people who actually know the person, and actually understand the situation speaking up, to blow some of the pernicious garbage said about the player out of the water?

Pretty embarrassing, some of the stuff written about him, including here. The palpable, gleeful joy so obvious when the story broke. The absolute certainty at what the substance of his OHL suspension contained.

All compete bullshit.

LMAO

Yes, the PR sprint. Surely even you understand the business, he's untradable right now. Or he'd have been traded.

Or, it's another scratch in a long line of discipline over 2+ seasons.

I agree here 100%

You don't get a clean slate with a clean contract.

This is what bothers me. I understand that it doesn't give a clean slate but if they know he is already on strike 2 then why are they re-signing him. The whole situation was doomed from there.

• Like 1

I agree here 100%

This is what bothers me. I understand that it doesn't give a clean slate but if they know he is already on strike 2 then why are they re-signing him. The whole situation was doomed from there.

They really had no choice but to sign him after they couldn't trade him over the summer, right?

I mean they're going to buy him out and lose him for nothing. What is the difference in just not signing him and letting him walk for nothing? I know, I know...hindsight is 20/20.
I think they made an effort and acted in good faith. They gave him two years and my speculation is that a short leash was part of it.

It took him 1 game to have an outburst, he got benched, rest is history.

1 yr arbitration was an option. They gave him a 2 year deal because they wanted to keep him, warts and all.
Arbitration takes the $$$ out of your hands and they're a cap team.

I'm sure they did want to keep him. And then he reminded them who he is.

Yeah, I don’t k ow about you, but the last time I ga e 5 million dollars a year to someone that was outburst away from goodbye was....wait never. No one do3s that unless there is a major disconnect between the person giving it and person deciding if he’s worth it.

All compete bullshit.

LMAO

I love how there were actual articles claiming it was nearly 100% fact ADA was using a burner account and had it triangulated to Pittsburgh minutes after a game.........that same account to this day is still tweeting......yet no one is reporting on its triangulation anymore..........but hey, the story stuck so who cares right?

• Like 1

That ship has sailed.

the fact he hasn't been dealt could possibly indicate the league wide interest was a figment of Dreger's imagination unless Gorton is still sorting through all the offers?

or he's just seen as too toxic regardless of his talent?

Brooks did an article/interview with him that was in the post today. Don't care enough to pull the quotes etc. But here is the link.

Tony DeAngelo bares his soul in first comments since Rangers exile

https://nypost.com/2021/02/13/ex-rangers-player-tony-deangelo-bares-soul-in-interview/

no competing team can take on $4.8mil contract, they ask the Rangers to retain salary, pointless when his buyout would leave them at paying under $1mil. rather than something around $2mil.. lets face it he will probably be the next Dman on the Lightning that we're paying to play for them and probably win a cup.

I love how there were actual articles claiming it was nearly 100% fact ADA was using a burner account and had it triangulated to Pittsburgh minutes after a game.........that same account to this day is still tweeting......yet no one is reporting on its triangulation anymore..........but hey, the story stuck so who cares right?

Hey if the Rangers want to manage their roster based on Twitter trolls we're heading for another 5+ years of top 5 picks at least.

in reality the only thing that matters is what JD and his team believe to be true. He and Gorton came out right away and called BS on a lot of what was "reported" and yet still they had enough of ADA to send him packing. There was a series of issues that they had seen and talked about with him which resulted in a line being drawn in the sand that he was well aware of and it was crossed. The fact that bloggers/writers/posters and others post sensational shit regardless of whether or not it's true isn't limited to an nhl defenseman, right? It's the world we live in. But this horse has been beaten over and over again, he's not coming back because of his actions. They can clean out Gorton and Quinn tomorrow for all I care and he still wouldn't be welcome back here.

Imo if ADA was passing the puck to Mika on the PP this year he still wouldn't have any more goals than he does now, they have enough guys who can pass the puck around, nobody can actually put it in the goal.

Bennett's stock maybe rising he just scored and they mentioned he's been moved up in the lineup.

in reality the only thing that matters is what JD and his team believe to be true. He and Gorton came out right away and called BS on a lot of what was "reported" and yet still they had enough of ADA to send him packing. There was a series of issues that they had seen and talked about with him which resulted in a line being drawn in the sand that he was well aware of and it was crossed. The fact that bloggers/writers/posters and others post sensational shit regardless of whether or not it's true isn't limited to an nhl defenseman, right? It's the world we live in. But this horse has been beaten over and over again, he's not coming back because of his actions. They can clean out Gorton and Quinn tomorrow for all I care and he still wouldn't be welcome back here.

Imo if ADA was passing the puck to Mika on the PP this year he still wouldn't have any more goals than he does now, they have enough guys who can pass the puck around, nobody can actually put it in the goal.

Bennett's stock maybe rising he just scored and they mentioned he's been moved up in the lineup.

yeah Flames got 2 centers out hurt in game

I mean yes and no. He was 3rd I think last year in pp points, 2nd in actual assists. Fox has taken over a bit of that but ADA and Fox are very different dynamics, which is a big reason why individually they were so devastating on the same team imo.

I don’t k ow about you, but I’ve always liked more offensive options rather than fewer in today’s nhl. It’s just too bad ADA fell into the trap he did. His own worst enemy tbh.

Stuff came out later that made it extremely obvious that Twitter account was never him. This was a prime example of a group of people wanting something to be true so badly that they made it so. It's sad, really.

• Like 2