• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: League-Wide Interest in DeAngelo; Trade Likely a Matter of Days

Scott

Just out of curiosity, what alternative do you see?

I like the fact that he no longer playing for the team! How many goals did we give up since he stopped playing for us? We give up more in one game when he is on the ice.

As far as offence, we have enough forwards that should be putting pucks in the net, they just not getting their job done now.

That's fair, and I do sort of agree.

The problem I have is that they signed him for two years, even though they supposedly knew that he was a cancer. If he wasn't in the long term plans of a team that was rebuilding, why sign him? In my opinion, the story doesn't make sense.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have is that they signed him for two years, even though they supposedly knew that he was a cancer. If he wasn't in the long term plans of a team that was rebuilding, why sign him? In my opinion, the story doesn't make sense.

So then what's the real reason? What makes sense? What are they hiding?

He'd obviously make the team far superior and they'd be so much better off with him, but he's playing rec league in NJ... Why? I'm all ears.

They signed him thinking they could trade him and get an asset back in return. Unfortunately ADA lost his shit, plans changed. Things happen, move on.

I think it's a weird, unique choice they had to make because of arbitration. If you're going to trade a potentially valuable, but risky asset, the last thing you want to do is publicly air the risky stuff, and we know they'd been trying to trade him for a while.

I guess the choice was "we can give him some term and hope it works out without airing the dirty laundry" or "we can torpedo his value in arbitration". They were kind of stuck.

To be honest, I actually think the Rangers were a little more afraid arbi would give him more so that’s the part they were mostly screwed. 53 points in 68 games going into arbi could have worked out pretty poorly for the team depending.

To be honest, I actually think the Rangers were a little more afraid arbi would give him more so that’s the part they were mostly screwed. 53 points in 68 games going into arbi could have worked out pretty poorly for the team depending.

Possibly, yeah. Either way - Rangers have to air the laundry, he makes too much to trade, maybe both - it's not really good for his trade value no matter what the outcome of arb was.

I think it's a weird, unique choice they had to make because of arbitration. If you're going to trade a potentially valuable, but risky asset, the last thing you want to do is publicly air the risky stuff, and we know they'd been trying to trade him for a while.

I guess the choice was "we can give him some term and hope it works out without airing the dirty laundry" or "we can torpedo his value in arbitration". They were kind of stuck.

Can?t trade a guy for 1 year when taking the arbitration award

How? If we assume nobody wanted to trade for him, and you are on the fence about him, a 1 year arbitration would have made more sense. Or simply walking away from the arbitration.

Why walk away in the summer for nothing? They tried to work with him to get the same production they got last year. It didn't work out. They can still possibly trade him. If a trade doesn't work out he's gone anyway. Seems like a no brainer to try. The team is over it. We're the only ones still talking about it.

Why walk away in the summer for nothing? They tried to work with him to get the same production they got last year. It didn't work out. They can still possibly trade him. If a trade doesn't work out he's gone anyway. Seems like a no brainer to try. The team is over it. We're the only ones still talking about it.

It wouldn't have been over nothing. It would have been to save 9M of money and 4.5M of cap space per year for 2 years.

The proper way forward, if he was on this thin of ice, was to arb him for 1 yr or walk away.

Yes, the "they never should have signed him" argument holds less and less weight the more you flesh it out.

It seems clear that a deal (and a 2 year one at that) was their last resort (similar to Strome, but for different reasons)... They explored trades and arb handcuffs them. Suggesting they walk away from him and get nothing is absurd. He had massive value at the time.

They showed him good faith and he responded with an(other) outburst one game into the season. That put him on a "1 strike left" plan, and I'd love to know what it looked like when ADA "couldn't get over the scratching".

And even knowing he had one strike left, he couldn't keep his mouth shut. I'd also imagine it wasn't one comment but a build up that led to this.

And yes, the team is over it. Don't know why folks here are still painting him as the victim. ADAs next PR piece should include more "apologize" and less "I, me, myself".

It wouldn't have been over nothing. It would have been to save 9M of money and 4.5M of cap space per year for 2 years.

The proper way forward, if he was on this thin of ice, was to arb him for 1 yr or walk away.

Right, but as Josh pointed out - you arb him for a year, you can't move him. You walk, you're in the same boat you're in now, minus a relatively minor cap issue.

Either of those are worse asset management than the current situation.

The cap hit isn't an issue. If they buy him out the cap hit is $383k and $883k for the next 2 years. Is that not worth seeing if he could duplicate last season while still looking for a trade partner?

They were never going to spend big this past summer anyway. Everyone is acting like the rebuild is fucked. This season was always going to be a year for all the rookies and second year players to grow and gain experience. There was already $9 million coming off the books from old buyouts this offseason. Buying out ADA adds another $4 million in spending money.

Right, but as Josh pointed out - you arb him for a year, you can't move him. You walk, you're in the same boat you're in now, minus a relatively minor cap issue.

Either of those are worse asset management than the current situation.

The cap hit isn't an issue. If they buy him out the cap hit is $383k and $883k for the next 2 years. Is that not worth seeing if he could duplicate last season while still looking for a trade partner?

They were never going to spend big this past summer anyway. Everyone is acting like the rebuild is fucked. This season was always going to be a year for all the rookies and second year players to grow and gain experience. There was already $9 million coming off the books from old buyouts this offseason. Buying out ADA adds another $4 million in spending money.

The buyout is cheap, yes, but it is still money against the books they didn't have to risk if the relationship was that bad. 4.5M could have netted a nice player this year in UFA, especially with the bargains that were available.

Fantasy to think they'd just walk away from a player of ADAs value over the summer.

That basically says you got nothing for Raanta and Stepan.

But not fantasy to walk away from 2 yr / 9M contract within a handful of games? If the ice was that thin they were asking for it, and made a terrible decision. Period.

But not fantasy to walk away from 2 yr / 9M contract within a handful of games? If the ice was that thin they were asking for it, and made a terrible decision. Period.

What would you have done differently? You'd have just let him walk after that season? No trade, no attempt to recoup assets?

This is far from Plan A, but to call this bad asset management misses the part where the asset acted so poorly that the value went south.

2+ seasons isn't a handful of games.

Walking away with a buyout after this season is a last resort. ADA has way less value after this season than after last.

But sure, keep trying to find fault with the way the team handled it instead of just admitting ADA didn't have to be a baby during the game, be a baby after the scratch, and be a dick to Geo and get slapped for it.

The asset didn't really do much, post contract, in terms of behavior. Something else happened, though. Societal repercussions started to loom large. Wonder if that had anything to do with the decision.
Again, don't know why we keep having to explain this but... ADA has a history with refs. He showed in game 1 that he'd made no progress so the team had no choice but to show him it was unacceptable. And ADA never got over it because he's immature.

So, in your opinion, the things happening outside of the NHL at the time had zero bearing on his being put on waivers. It's just now a total coincidence that other teams aren't willing to accept the societal pressures that come with employing an outspoken member of the public, such as he is. That fact has weight on other teams decisions, but not the New York Rangers.

Is that really beyond considering?

2+ seasons isn't a handful of games.

Walking away with a buyout after this season is a last resort. ADA has way less value after this season than after last.

But sure, keep trying to find fault with the way the team handled it instead of just admitting ADA didn't have to be a baby during the game, be a baby after the scratch, and be a dick to Geo and get slapped for it.

So a player accumulated a bunch of strikes over 2 years. They gave him one more strike directly after signing him to a 2/9M contract because he slammed a penalty box door and disagreed with getting benched for it. Your argument doesn't make nearly enough sense.

Here's what makes sense. They liked the player and gave him a contract. Increased social pressure driven by negative PR from the Twitter/blogger mob et. al put the team in a position to fast track an exit.