• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dreger: League-Wide Interest in DeAngelo; Trade Likely a Matter of Days

Scott

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in your opinion, the things happening outside of the NHL at the time had zero bearing on his being put on waivers. It's just now a total coincidence that other teams aren't willing to accept the societal pressures that come with employing an outspoken member of the public, such as he is. That fact has weight on other teams decisions, but not the New York Rangers.

Is that really beyond considering?

So a player accumulated a bunch of strikes over 2 years. They gave him one more strike directly after signing him to a 2/9M contract because he slammed a penalty box door and disagreed with getting benched for it. Your argument doesn't make nearly enough sense.

Here's what makes sense. They liked the player and gave him a contract. Increased social pressure driven by negative PR from the Twitter/blogger mob et. al put the team in a position to fast track an exit.

Yes, it makes more sense that he's a Trump supporter so he has to go.

Just like Strome and Lemieux... Oh, wait...

I guess it just makes sense for the party of grievance to claim victim.

But if he's losing his job for being a covid denier and claiming election fraud, then yeah...that sounds right. They should be curbing that nonsense.

So a player accumulated a bunch of strikes over 2 years. They gave him one more strike directly after signing him to a 2/9M contract because he slammed a penalty box door and disagreed with getting benched for it. Your argument doesn't make nearly enough sense.

Here's what makes sense. They liked the player and gave him a contract. Increased social pressure driven by negative PR from the Twitter/blogger mob et. al put the team in a position to fast track an exit.

He's a brand detriment. Full stop.

You can be both an asshole and a brand asset. See Tkachuk, Matthew.

You can be outspoken on social media and be a brand asset. PK Subban comes to mind here.

You can be a Trump supporter (because let's just stop pretending that this isn't what you all are referring to) and be a brand asset. See Seth Jones.

When you're throwing shitfits on social media? You're not a brand asset. When you're provoking fights with fans and with teammates? Not a brand asset. When you do stupid shit on the ice and complain about getting called for it? Not a brand asset.

He made his own bed here.

• Like 1

Yes, it makes more sense that he's a Trump supporter so he has to go.

Just like Strome and Lemieux... Oh, wait...

I guess it just makes sense for the party of grievance to claim victim.

But if he's losing his job for being a covid denier and claiming election fraud, then yeah...that sounds right. They should be curbing that nonsense.

Great. Now we are getting to a point of agreement. He got tossed for having opinions on Twitter.

Great. Now we are getting to a point of agreement. He got tossed for having opinions on Twitter.
That's not opinion. It's conspiracy theory that hurts the brand.

When you deny COVID in a city that was ravaged by it, and pick fights with the fan base over politics, you hurt the brand.

Now the bottom line is of he didn't throw a temper tantrum over taking a penalty, and then another one over a scratching, and then pick a fight with a teammate... He'd still be here. Facts you conveniently ignore.

Again, say it with me, it's not because of social, but social is part of it. It's not only because of his outbursts, but outbursts are part of it. It's not just picking a fight with a teammate, but that's part of it.

You're entering the territory of willful ignorance here.

Google the UFAs signed and for what they signed for, and ask yourself who could have helped this team. A couple of quick names I can remember off the top of my head: Granlund, resign Fast.

Why am I doing the research? This is your premise that they should have done something else with the money.

As for the names you mentioned...

The is no need for Fast, who is often injured, at $2m x 3. He was seamlessly replaced take you pick of PDG, Rooney, and Blackwell who all make under $800k.

Where would Granlund play? You already have Buch and Kakko as you right wings in the top 6 with Kravstov likely the 3rd line RW next season. There are already so many complaints about Kakko, Laf, and Gauthier's ice? If the idea is to replace Buch with Granlund, A) they are the same player and B) that has nothing to do with letting ADA walk.

Why am I doing the research? This is your premise that they should have done something else with the money.

As for the names you mentioned...

The is no need for Fast, who is often injured, at $2m x 3. He was seamlessly replaced take you pick of PDG, Rooney, and Blackwell who all make under $800k.

Where would Granlund play? You already have Buch and Kakko as you right wings in the top 6 with Kravstov likely the 3rd line RW next season. There are already so many complaints about Kakko, Laf, and Gauthier's ice? If the idea is to replace Buch with Granlund, A) they are the same player and B) that has nothing to do with letting ADA walk.

Granlund is also a center. It doesn't matter who I pick off the list. You will argue against it just to double down on your position. Go look at the list and ask yourself if you'd rather have that player or if you'd rather have it wasted on DeAngelo. You don't even have to post back here.

That's not opinion. It's conspiracy theory that hurts the brand.

When you deny COVID in a city that was ravaged by it, and pick fights with the fan base over politics, you hurt the brand.

Now the bottom line is of he didn't throw a temper tantrum over taking a penalty, and then another one over a scratching, and then pick a fight with a teammate... He'd still be here. Facts you conveniently ignore.

Again, say it with me, it's not because of social, but social is part of it. It's not only because of his outbursts, but outbursts are part of it. It's not just picking a fight with a teammate, but that's part of it.

You're entering the territory of willful ignorance here.

I have always said he was bounced off the team because the Twitter mob came after him. Not because of on ice issues, or slamming a door, or getting in a scuffle with a teammate which is normal. None of that mattered. What mattered was social media. Thanks for agreeing.

Granlund is also a center. It doesn't matter who I pick off the list. You will argue against it just to double down on your position. Go look at the list and ask yourself if you'd rather have that player or if you'd rather have it wasted on DeAngelo. You don't even have to post back here.

I did look at the list. There was no one available that moves the needle. Again this was always going to be a year for the kids to progress until they were in a position to make a splash. This is why Strome and ADA both got 2 year deals. Gets them through the expansion draft and the worst of the buyouts.

Granlund hasn't played center for 6 years, and if they wanted Granlund (and Granlund wanted to come here) that would have been done with Strome's money not ADA's. I was in favor of moving ADA for Brodin over the summer, now with the emergence of Miller I'm glad they didn't.

This team only needs two things right now. First and foremost Zib to get his shit together. Second is time. Chytil was on his way to passing Strome on the depth chart. Lundkvist and Kravtsov should be in the lineup next year.

2022/2023 is when to make the move UFA centers in that class include Zibanejad, Barkov, Hertl, Trocheck, Couturier, Jenner. Lot of options depending on if Zib rebounds and how Chtyil continues to develop.

Long story short, ADA's 2 year deal had no impact on any of this.

I did look at the list. There was no one available that moves the needle. Again this was always going to be a year for the kids to progress until they were in a position to make a splash. This is why Strome and ADA both got 2 year deals. Gets them through the expansion draft and the worst of the buyouts.

Granlund hasn't played center for 6 years, and if they wanted Granlund (and Granlund wanted to come here) that would have been done with Strome's money not ADA's. I was in favor of moving ADA for Brodin over the summer, now with the emergence of Miller I'm glad they didn't.

This team only needs two things right now. First and foremost Zib to get his shit together. Second is time. Chytil was on his way to passing Strome on the depth chart. Lundkvist and Kravtsov should be in the lineup next year.

2022/2023 is when to make the move UFA centers in that class include Zibanejad, Barkov, Hertl, Trocheck, Couturier, Jenner. Lot of options depending on if Zib rebounds and how Chtyil continues to develop.

Long story short, ADA's 2 year deal had no impact on any of this.

I guess I just disagree. I'd rather have those two guys, at a minimum, rather than dead cap space.

if ADA got canned for being unprofessional and yapping back to superiors, thats one thing. But if he got canned for speaking out his political views, that could be a huge mess/lawsuit for the rangers that they probably dont need. Of course ADA has to have proof but if im ADA and get no other NHL contract, i would definitely explore this situation

He got canned because he?s an idiot. For fucks sake he threatened to meet up with and fight a fan.

The nhl is predominantly well off white men I?d venture to guess at least half the league is republican/conservative (at the very least a significant percentage) and this isn?t an issue with anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Rangers did a very poor job with asset management and they also needed to keep the fight in the hallway quiet. They also didn't need to rush to waive him like they did which basically just crushed any value he might have had. They should have sat down with him and his agent, sent him to some kind of anger management rehab for 30 days, and then figure out what do to with him.

The Rangers did a very poor job with asset management and they also needed to keep the fight in the hallway quiet. They also didn't need to rush to waive him like they did which basically just crushed any value he might have had. They should have sat down with him and his agent, sent him to some kind of anger management rehab for 30 days, and then figure out what do to with him.

Agree that there was a better way to handle this but now the cat is fully out of the bag.

ADA got canned for breaking the camel's back with a final straw. He's also largely blackballed by the league over his political affiliations, which were largely interpreted (rightly or wrongly) as anti-vax/pro-Covid denialist and pro-insurrectionist by the Twitter "mob" he constantly swatted at for the purpose of riling them up. Both things are true. Friedman effectively confirmed the latter talking about teams with interest who would have to be "willing to take the heat" of trading for him because of his reputation. Crying about how fans on Twitter aren't arguing in good faith about him is a joke considering who you are defending — someone who refused to argue in good faith himself, and who reveled in "triggering" liberals.

This isn't hard to understand. I fucking hate bothsidesism, but in this case, both sides seem utterly incapable of accepting facts that even mildly conflict with the strongest defense/indictment of him. He's an asshole and a dressing room distraction with questionable social media motives and suspect political justifications.