• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

This happens across professions, and it's nearly always tragic when someone exceptionally talented can't keep everything else in their life sufficiently together to continue to use that God-given talent. Whatever the details this time, ADA's inability to stay within the lines - in a way that has recurred throughout his professional life - has now severely restricted his ability to pursue his chosen vocation. Despite multiple chances, opportunities, and restarts, there is no reason at this point to believe that he will ever be able to put his talent, his team, or his profession ahead of his passions, anger, sense of victimization, and proclivity to treat others badly. And I think it would be almost impossible for any NHL GM to see it any other way. I'm on the other side of the political fence from ADA, but I also found him a dynamic, funny, even charming kid. I'm pissed that the Rangers are in this spot, but I'm also really sad for ADA and his inability to focus the rest of his life to serve an immense gift.
  • Like 1

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, we've been pushing this forgiveness, and bail shit for years. I think there's even threads about the brain not developing until someone is 25 or 26.

And then there's the fact he was just given a new contract. So, IF these past issues were such a problem, again, this falls on Gorton for putting the coach, player, and team in a vulnerable and dangerous position. Any one in pro sports knows you do not put problem players in the same locker room as young, impressionable kids. Ever.

I want the full story as to what's gone on and for how long before putting this on Quinn or Gordon.

From our perspective - ADA was on his best behavior and at his best on the ice last season. It showed. He spent a nice amount of quarantine being a bit of a Twitter troll and messing with fans, which was in character for who he was, but not for who we thought he'd become. He came back to the bubble, had three absolutely terrible games (most of the team played like trash, but ADA got put on a poster), went into contract negotiations. Rangers apparently tried trading him pre-arbitration, then settled on a fair market value short term deal (reading between the lines - you don't go to arb with anyone you're trying to trade). He showed up to camp, was given the chance to play left side - played like shit. He got roasted in the first game - on ice, in penalty box - sat down, apparently had an internal issue with that. Came back on the ice after a loss, proceeded to suck giant donkey balls, got in a fight with his goalie.

It kind of sounds like he wasn't a problem until he was a problem.

Half of which happened before they gave him a contract. A good deal here is on them.

I don't like the optics here...his actions are tolerable when he's nearing a point per game pace. Starts to suck and we waive him. I know that is not the case but when the time is right I hope they reveal more about it. Not sure if they're waiting to see if he's picked up or not.

Yup, which is why so many fans, myself included, never wanted him kept to begin with. He's a ticking timebomb.

Friedman broke this all down this morning on 31 Thoughts. I have a running transcript of it here:

Link:

Figures it was a Russian attacking a teammate. They're always trying to fuck shit up for others!

It's clear anti-Italian discrimination

We're swapping out a south Jersey Italian for a Long Island Italian.

Deangelo did himself no favors. What he did was totally unacceptable.

Think difference with Avery is the internet was not yet the 24/7 pervasive thing it is now. But same issue really. If you cannot control yourself, it's gonna get out there and probably cost you. So much so people who don't like you will stop at nothing to make you look bad.

Could get crazier at noon today.

This guy is probably so much more difficult to coach than another headcase, Sean Avery. Plus, it doesn't help that I think Quinn may have already lost the team even before this situation.

He seems fine to coach, based on his play. He's a very dynamic player.

Babysit is a different issue. If babysitting has been an on-going issue, like so many seem to like to point out, why did they re-sign him?

They're not bailing on him because of his politics. It's a cop out to suggest as much. If they didn't want MAGA supporters in the room they'd be running Lemieux out of town, too. And likely others. The NHL, by and large, is a very pro-Trump league.

They're bailing on him because he's a toxic, shit heel of a person who just fought a team mate, and pouted, again, when he was scratched, again. It's a collection of bad radios and behaviors that's simply not outweighed by whatever offense he brings -- especially when that offense is nonexistent this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Where did you get THAT idea from? I doubt very much if European or many Canadian & US players adore the antics of that buffoon!

He seems fine to coach, based on his play. He's a very dynamic player.

Babysit is a different issue. If babysitting has been an on-going issue, like so many seem to like to point out, why did they re-sign him?

That's kind of what I meant, but yeah. As far as why did they re-sign him? Error in judgement? lol

Tampa loves taking Rangers fuck ups. Someone will take this bargin player. Tony just decided to make a wisecrack at a very bad time to a player who was very hot after an ot goal. This doesn't sound to me like an incident that would cause a team to waive a player but ADA and Quinn just couldn't get along. Nobody wins this one except the team that negotiates and gets Tonys talent on the cheap.

Damn this just gets messier and messier. At the end of the day no matter how you cut it or who/what actually instigated the sequence of events or try to weigh the pros vs. cons of his playing abilities vs. attitude, it seems pretty clear that DeAngelo unfortunately brings with him some a degree of negative energy to the team (or at least some part of it). And given how young this roster is and the fragile mental state they're currently in, that negative energy is the last thing they need.

Tampa loves taking Rangers fuck ups. Someone will take this bargin player. Tony just decided to make a wisecrack at a very bad time to a player who was very hot after an ot goal. This doesn't sound to me like an incident that would cause a team to waive a player but ADA and Quinn just couldn't get along. Nobody wins this one except the team that negotiates and gets Tonys talent on the cheap.
Tampa Bay already understood what Ada was and moved on. They traded into Arizona, I doubt they want him back.

That's kind of what I meant, but yeah. As far as why did they re-sign him? Error in judgement? lol

Resigned him because they basically had to. No one knows how difficult he is aside from the three teams he?s been a part of. Rangers could have conceivably signed him and then traded him - which it sounds like they tried to do.

Unfortunately Tony can only go so long without self sabotaging and that killed any chance of a team wanting him - at least at full price.

IMO if they can get a team to bite on 50% of his contract it?ll be a miracle.

I want the full story as to what's gone on and for how long before putting this on Quinn or Gordon.

From our perspective - ADA was on his best behavior and at his best on the ice last season. It showed. He spent a nice amount of quarantine being a bit of a Twitter troll and messing with fans, which was in character for who he was, but not for who we thought he'd become. He came back to the bubble, had three absolutely terrible games (most of the team played like trash, but ADA got put on a poster), went into contract negotiations. Rangers apparently tried trading him pre-arbitration, then settled on a fair market value short term deal (reading between the lines - you don't go to arb with anyone you're trying to trade). He showed up to camp, was given the chance to play left side - played like shit. He got roasted in the first game - on ice, in penalty box - sat down, apparently had an internal issue with that. Came back on the ice after a loss, proceeded to suck giant donkey balls, got in a fight with his goalie.

It kind of sounds like he wasn't a problem until he was a problem.

All somewhat accurate yet very skewed but as mr workplace violence, you forgot the detailed part where ADA was punched over a comment by the goalie starting the physical part of the altercation. Very colorful description of everything else though. I really like the part of ?given the chance to play his off side? for a a couple of days in a season with no preseason games as if it was some privilege to switch positions just like that ignoring the parts where he specifically said he just wanted to do whatever to help the team.

I think we all have our set opinions on both sides of the fence here and nothing is going to change any of this. Hopefully whatever the solution is, it comes much sooner rather than later. The circus won?t leave town until this is 100% over.

• Like 1

Damn this just gets messier and messier. At the end of the day no matter how you cut it or who/what actually instigated the sequence of events or try to weigh the pros vs. cons of his playing abilities vs. attitude, it seems pretty clear that DeAngelo unfortunately brings with him some a degree of negative energy to the team (or at least some part of it). And given how young this roster is and the fragile mental state they're currently in, that negative energy is the last thing they need.

And let’s be clear. We don’t know what happened exactly but the Ranger do. And they cut him without a second thought.

Resigned him because they basically had to. No one knows how difficult he is aside from the three teams he’s been a part of. Rangers could have conceivably signed him and then traded him - which it sounds like they tried to do.

Unfortunately Tony can only go so long without self sabotaging and that killed any chance of a team wanting him - at least at full price.

IMO if they can get a team to bite on 50% of his contract it’ll be a miracle.

I mean, could they realistically just sit him the entire rest of the season and then buy him out in the offseason? No one is going to claim him.

And let?s be clear. We don?t know what happened exactly but the Ranger do. And they cut him without a second thought.
Like I said last night, you have to be a special kind of asshole for an organization to be willing to walk away from you with no return.

People want to paint ADA as the victim here, but you have to do a lot to get to this point.