• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

Want to live in a fun dream world? How can we get 3 overall without giving up 1? Car 1st, NYR 2nd, 3rd, 2021 1st, Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Georgiev enough to make it happen? Possibility to add Laff and Byfield?

Sens have no goaltender of the future, only 1 RD on their roster, and could use a RW. If we really wanted we could make it worth it for them. They've also got a ton of cap room and have been willing to eat contracts in the past if adding Smith helps balance things out. Not likely but seems like something that could possibly be looked at.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you say that about any trade? If the Canes wanted Skjei more than a 1st round pick, why wouldn't we rather have Skjei?

There's always going to be people that might prefer one side of a trade versus the other. I think eventually a tipping point is reached when there becomes a large consensus (say, 75+%) that one side is on the better end of the deal, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone thinks so. So what constitutes an overwhelming package might be more akin to when a large majority consensus is reached.

lol exactly, you go sell on Ebay somebody pay you $30 bucks foer some crap you get greedy, cancel the sale, end up with your crap because nobody else will pay more than $10 for it. people and their greed.

Nothing wrong with kicking around trade ideas as unlikely as it seems the Rangers would move #1. With an 18 year old kid there is no certainty that he is the next Kane. Maybe with the French Canadian connection somebody is willing to over over overpay. No harm in listening.

Want to live in a fun dream world? How can we get 3 overall without giving up 1? Car 1st, NYR 2nd, 3rd, 2021 1st, Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Georgiev enough to make it happen? Possibility to add Laff and Byfield?

Sens have no goaltender of the future, only 1 RD on their roster, and could use a RW. If we really wanted we could make it worth it for them. They've also got a ton of cap room and have been willing to eat contracts in the past if adding Smith helps balance things out. Not likely but seems like something that could possibly be looked at.

If the Sens need a goalie of the future, they should trade down and take Asakrov. Though, getting Buch, ADA on top of it is probably helpful.

The only non-11 number I can find that he's worn is 22 for Team Canada in 2019.

I'd go for #22! Nicky'd be proud! =)

I assume 17 so Jesper Fast moves on to his 6th jersey number

I'm not so sure about Fast for next season, Josh man.

• Like 1

The Sens aren't competing for the playoffs/Cup next season. The following offseason is going to be filled with starting goalie options. Andersen, Rask, Rinne, Binnington, Allen, Dubnyk, Raanta, Grubauer, Mrazek and Halak are all potentially available. How many are gonna end up re-signing between now and then? Certainly not all of them. They can get a goalie then, if they really want.

Couldn't you say that about any trade? If the Canes wanted Skjei more than a 1st round pick, why wouldn't we rather have Skjei?

There's always going to be people that might prefer one side of a trade versus the other. I think eventually a tipping point is reached when there becomes a large consensus (say, 75+%) that one side is on the better end of the deal, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone thinks so. So what constitutes an overwhelming package might be more akin to when a large majority consensus is reached.

I was talking specifically about Ottawa since they are also a rebuilding team.

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF?

Most online potential trades this week have been Ottawas 3rd and 5th, and as mentioned in the video posted here, they think that might be a bit too much to give up.

If Ottawa included Tkachuk they?d have to fire GM

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Sens aren't competing for the playoffs/Cup next season. The following offseason is going to be filled with starting goalie options. Andersen, Rask, Rinne, Binnington, Allen, Dubnyk, Raanta, Grubauer, Mrazek and Halak are all potentially available. How many are gonna end up re-signing between now and then? Certainly not all of them. They can get a goalie then, if they really want.

I think next year's offseason is going to be super interesting and fun, especially from a Rangers' point of view with all the cap coming off the books.

I think next year's offseason is going to be super interesting and fun, especially from a Rangers' point of view with all the cap coming off the books.

I'm sitting here rubbing my hands together, Sharpy!!!! I can't wait!! :drool:

I was talking specifically about Ottawa since they are also a rebuilding team.

Huh? Rebuilding teams all have to evaluate prospects the same?

LAF might have added appeal to Ottawa because he is French Canadian. There are an unlimited number of variables that could factor into two rebuilding teams placing more or less value on the same hands down #1 prospect.

History says the Rangers will take LAF. Gorton would have to be overwhelmed to take the risk.

Huh? Rebuilding teams all have to evaluate prospects the same?

LAF might have added appeal to Ottawa because he is French Canadian. There are an unlimited number of variables that could factor into two rebuilding teams placing more or less value on the same hands down #1 prospect.

History says the Rangers will take LAF. Gorton would have to be overwhelmed to take the risk.

I think this is absolutely true and something I had in mind also. That's a connection with the Ottawa fanbase that New York will never have. It might provide leeway for Dorion to make a trade that might "get a GM fired" under other circumstances. Being able to market Lafreniere as a French Canadian franchise player is worth something to them where it doesn't matter for the Rangers.

I would be on the fence for Tkachuk/#3/#5. I could actually see Ottawa stretching to that. I can't see Ottawa including an unprotected 2021 1st like I mentioned in my deal. Perhaps if it had top 3 protection Ottawa would do, but then it loses some of that overwhelming appeal.

I think this is absolutely true and something I had in mind also. That's a connection with the Ottawa fanbase that New York will never have. It might provide leeway for Dorion to make a trade that might "get a GM fired" under other circumstances. Being able to market Lafreniere as a French Canadian franchise player is worth something to them where it doesn't matter for the Rangers.

I would be on the fence for Tkachuk/#3/#5. I could actually see Ottawa stretching to that. I can't see Ottawa including an unprotected 2021 1st like I mentioned in my deal. Perhaps if it had top 3 protection Ottawa would do, but then it loses some of that overwhelming appeal.

I could see Ottawa going super high in payment for him. It’s possible. But I don’t know that they’d go that high. Right now for them, they have 2 main core pieces in place in Tkachuk and Chabot. Ottawa has 3 1’s this year. They’ll likely have another very high pick next year. That’s a really strong opportunity to build that core and do so with young and cost controlled talent. As tempting as it might be, moving the assets you’ve mentioned might actually be setting them back in building that core.

They’re probably better off to just keep that stuff and make their own picks

I wouldn?t do it for Tkachuk #3 and #5. Tkachuk plays a physical style we could use, but is also a LW and much closer to getting paid. I hope LAF is better than Tkachuk in his first year. Getting #3 we got no guarantee Byfield is there if we really liked him. Could probably get a real good 2C by trading #5, but then we have the same cap issues.

Best thing is just take LAF, hope he is a superstar that makes everyone better, and have a plan to deal with cap issues down the road. If his playmaking and skating makes a sniper like Kakko better then that is an added bonus.

I don't think I would be able to resist 3rd+5th+Tkachuk. I think we have to add to it.

"Best thing is just take LAF, hope he is a superstar that makes everyone better"

But if you trade him it is for 3 potential superstars. It is a lot harder for another team to stop multiple threats rather than just shut down one big line.

Thankfully you aren't JD or Jeff Gorton

• Like 1

I could see Ottawa going super high in payment for him. It’s possible. But I don’t know that they’d go that high. Right now for them, they have 2 main core pieces in place in Tkachuk and Chabot. Ottawa has 3 1’s this year. They’ll likely have another very high pick next year. That’s a really strong opportunity to build that core and do so with young and cost controlled talent. As tempting as it might be, moving the assets you’ve mentioned might actually be setting them back in building that core.

They’re probably better off to just keep that stuff and make their own picks

I agree with you for the most part. The other side of that coin is they don't have anybody currently marketable as a franchise player. Tkachuk and Chabot don't check that box.

I wouldn?t do it for Tkachuk #3 and #5. Tkachuk plays a physical style we could use, but is also a LW and much closer to getting paid. I hope LAF is better than Tkachuk in his first year. Getting #3 we got no guarantee Byfield is there if we really liked him. Could probably get a real good 2C by trading #5, but then we have the same cap issues.

Best thing is just take LAF, hope he is a superstar that makes everyone better, and have a plan to deal with cap issues down the road. If his playmaking and skating makes a sniper like Kakko better then that is an added bonus.

Agreed. Tkachuk/3/5 doesn't meet "overwhelming" status.

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF?

It's really painful reading some of the takes prior to the '07 draft, especially with Cherepanov all over them.

Kane wasn't even the consensus #1 for a good chunk of the year - JVR, Turris, Couture, and Cherepanov seemed to hold those spots at varying points. Some of the early takes were talking about Angelo Esposito as the "can't miss" prospect (though Dobber nailed him as "will either go big or bust hard).

Here's what I can tell about ALF - he's supremely talented, works his ass off, has shown leadership qualities beyond his years, and fucking loves hockey. Nobody seems to want to call out a flaw in his game - maybe he could stand to hit more? Feels like a scary good kind of player - and a rare one at that.

I agree with you for the most part. The other side of that coin is they don't have anybody currently marketable as a franchise player. Tkachuk and Chabot don't check that box.

No. They don?t and you?re correct in saying so.

But as said, with #?s 3 and 5 this draft, and likely another very high pick next year, they?re in a very good position to get that.

If they stand pat, they?ll end up with Stutzle or Byfield at 3, another very nice player at 5, and another great shot at that franchise-type guy next draft.

They?re well set up now to build well and do it the right way. And they have time. No rush for them.

Dorion is probably best served by just taking his picks

IIRC, Ottawa has not only 3 1sts this draft, but 4, yes 4, 2nd round picks this draft too.

They have their own pick in round 2, plus picks from Columbus, Dallas, and the Islanders.

It's really painful reading some of the takes prior to the '07 draft, especially with Cherepanov all over them.

Kane wasn't even the consensus #1 for a good chunk of the year - JVR, Turris, Couture, and Cherepanov seemed to hold those spots at varying points. Some of the early takes were talking about Angelo Esposito as the "can't miss" prospect (though Dobber nailed him as "will either go big or bust hard).

Here's what I can tell about ALF - he's supremely talented, works his ass off, has shown leadership qualities beyond his years, and fucking loves hockey. Nobody seems to want to call out a flaw in his game - maybe he could stand to hit more? Feels like a scary good kind of player - and a rare one at that.

Was listening to Will Scouch talk about instances this season where he saw LaFreniere "gooning it up" when he didn't have to. Whereas he won't be able to beat up on NHLers the same as in the Q, doesn't sound like he shies away from rough stuff.

The common knock is his skating isn't elite, but it's still high end. Not to say he is a bad skater at all, but he's just not McDavid. He is still a very good skater, but it's probably the one area that costs him "generational" status.

From tape I have been watching, he will be as good as advertised right away. He passes the eye test with flying colors. Awesome prospect.

The common knock is his skating isn't elite, but it's still high end. Not to say he is a bad skater at all, but he's just not McDavid. He is still a very good skater, but it's probably the one area that costs him "generational" status.

From tape I have been watching, he will be as good as advertised right away. He passes the eye test with flying colors. Awesome prospect.

Yeah, his skating is described as "high end" and "explosive" but also as "he's not McDavid".

Since when was McDavid-esque speed a requirement to be a top prospect? Literally one person on earth skates like McDavid, and it's McDavid.

Yeah, his skating is described as "high end" and "explosive" but also as "he's not McDavid".

Since when was McDavid-esque speed a requirement to be a top prospect? Literally one person on earth skates like McDavid, and it's McDavid.

Top prospect != generational though. ALF's skating is not Crosby or Ovechkin level either, which is why I think it's probably about the only thing holding him back from getting the label. It's an important attribute and why he is in the tier below those guys as prospects when it comes to rating them. He looks to do literally everything else.