• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

LaFreniere > Hughes just by size alone. While today’s NHL is more small guy friendly, it’s safer if the guy actually has size associated with him too. I actually would have preferred Kakko over Hughes so I thought we were in such a great spot drafting 2. This year, Laf is above and beyond the best pick.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not mind it as the least possible return. I think it makes sense for both teams.

It’s not completely ridiculous from that slant.

But I could care less what makes sense for or helps out LA.

And the trade makes less sense for the Rangers than the Kings.

And most importantly, the trade is less sensible for the Rangers than simply picking LaFreniere.

Heading into the drafts any difference in expectations between Hughes, Kakko, and Laf is just splitting hairs.

This is simply incorrect.

Since you used Pronman as a reference:

Pronman?s parting words in his final scout report on Hughes

He?s not a perfect player, and I wouldn?t realistically expect him to be one of the top 10 players in the NHL, but he could become a top player for a team and be an important part of turning a bad team around.

Pronman?s parting words in his final scout report on Lafreniere

He?s not a perfect prospect. He didn?t crush the CHL the way a guy like Crosby, John Tavares or Connor McDavid did, and given Lafreniere's lack of elite speed, I wouldn?t feel comfortable discussing him as that tier of a prospect.

He is a projected impact player though given all his amazing attributes. He is even as a winger someone who can project to become a foundational part of a team?s rebuild, a true star and a potential leading scorer in the NHL.

Doesn?t seem like he?s splitting hairs to me.

Yeah, you're just misinterpreting. Hughes is talented, but he was always considered undersized. He was undersized going into his rookie season. His skating and passing ability were undeniable, but there were legitimate question marks whether staying with USNTDP was the right choice. I'm not the first one to state this opinion. It was a common thought. After his dominance in his D-2 with the USNTDP, it was questioned whether staying there was really the right choice when he could potentially move on to face more physical and talented competition. He didn't. It didn't stop him from being first overall but it certainly caused many to have tempered expectations going into his rookie season. For many, his struggles this season were none too surprising. Why do you think there was the belief that Kakko had closed the gap on him? Kakko played a physical brand of hockey in the Liiga. Unfortunately, he has nowhere near Hughes' skating and was deficient in the NHL for entirely the opposite reason of Hughes.

So yeah. I know what I said.

We can agree that Hughes was undersized which is probably what led to all the ?edge? talk. Expectations were that he was not McDavid but in the next tier. Same stuff we hear about LAF and Kakko.

Kakko closed the gap because of the success he had in those tourneys right before the draft. I also preferred him even though Hughes is a Center. Kakko had knocks about his league, his English, and the rink size. More knocks will develop on Laf as the draft gets closer. Hoping Laf hits the ground running and the Rangers get one of those superstars when they are still teenagers, although it will be tough if he isn?t playing in top 6.

This is simply incorrect.

Since you used Pronman as a reference:

Pronman’s parting words in his final scout report on Hughes

Pronman’s parting words in his final scout report on Lafreniere

Doesn’t seem like he’s splitting hairs to me.

Check out what Pronman said in his top prospects 2019 version BEFORE Hughes played in the NHL. It would seem he had a bit of 20-20 hindsight in the most recent version.

Jack Hughes. 2019 draft: Hughes had a dominant season, looking like he was toying with opponents at times at the junior level and setting many records at the USNTDP. I think he’s going to be an elite NHL player and a player the team that drafts him (New Jersey) can build around.

Splitting hairs.

LaFreniere > Hughes just by size alone. While today’s NHL is more small guy friendly, it’s safer if the guy actually has size associated with him too. I actually would have preferred Kakko over Hughes so I thought we were in such a great spot drafting 2. This year, Laf is above and beyond the best pick.

I love that the Devils got two top picks and now we get one with a player that's far better than either. And I still like Kakko better than Hughes as well.

Check out what Pronman said in his top prospects 2019 version BEFORE Hughes played in the NHL. It would seem he had a bit of 20-20 hindsight in the most recent version.

Jack Hughes. 2019 draft: Hughes had a dominant season, looking like he was toying with opponents at times at the junior level and setting many records at the USNTDP. I think he’s going to be an elite NHL player and a player the team that drafts him (New Jersey) can build around.

Splitting hairs.

Those quotes are from his final report before Hughes was drafted.

Definitely not splitting hairs.

Those quotes are from his final report before Hughes was drafted.

Definitely not splitting hairs.

“In terms of tiers, I view Patrik Laine through Jack Hughes as the first tier, and Quinton Byfield through Svechnikov as a minor tier difference before the last group.“

2020 version has 5 guys in top tier including Laf and Hughes. 4th and 5th guys in tier 1.

Read the entire scouting reports. Both elite prospects. Hughes is a Center so would likely be picked first if they were in same draft. I hope Laf is a lot better.

“In terms of tiers, I view Patrik Laine through Jack Hughes as the first tier, and Quinton Byfield through Svechnikov as a minor tier difference before the last group.“

2020 version has 5 guys in top tier including Laf and Hughes. 4th and 5th guys in tier 1.

Read the entire scouting reports. Both elite prospects. Hughes is a Center so would likely be picked first if they were in same draft. I hope Laf is a lot better.

Dude, I don’t know what to tell you.

The quotes I posted are from the “Why player X is an elite prospect” series, his final verdict on the top prospects before the draft. Just before Hughes was drafted he said he doesn’t expect him to be a top 10 player.

In the same article about AF from a month ago, he projects him as a true star and potential leading scorer in the league.

That is a significant difference. And it’s not just Pronman, it’s literally everyone worth listening to. Lafreniere is universally seen as an even better prospect than Jack Hughes.

I mean, I think I’ve said my piece. You’re obviously free to believe whatever you want.

Dude, I don?t know what to tell you.

The quotes I posted are from the ?Why player X is an elite prospect? series, his final verdict on the top prospects before the draft. Just before Hughes was drafted he said he doesn?t expect him to be a top 10 player.

In the same article about AF from a month ago, he projects him as a true star and potential leading scorer in the league.

That is a significant difference. And it?s not just Pronman, it?s literally everyone worth listening to. Lafreniere is universally seen as an even better prospect than Jack Hughes.

I mean, I think I?ve said my piece. You?re obviously free to believe whatever you want.

We can agree to disagree. Just keep in mind that on the 2019 list Pronman had Hughes ranked ahead of Eichel and Dahlin. So there is some revisionism going on based on NHL performance in subsequent years.

Just purely based on the eye test, Lafreniere is much more ready for the NHL than Hughes. Hughes is a better skater. Lafreniere looks better at everything else.

I thought Hughes was the better prospect than Kakko last year, but I also felt he might need a year or two to fill out. Lafreniere is ready to go out of the box.

We can agree to disagree. Just keep in mind that on the 2019 list Pronman had Hughes ranked ahead of Eichel and Dahlin. So there is some revisionism going on based on NHL performance in subsequent years.

For the third, and hopefully last time, there is no revision here. What I quoted was his opinion on Hughes before he was drafted. The final thing he wrote about him before the draft. I.e., at the same stage of his development as Lafreniere is in right now.

But yeah, let’s move on.

For the third, and hopefully last time, there is no revision here. What I quoted was his opinion on Hughes before he was drafted. The final thing he wrote about him before the draft. I.e., at the same stage of his development as Lafreniere is in right now.

But yeah, let’s move on.

The revisionism I spoke of is that in 2019 Hughes was ranked higher than Dahlin. In 2020 Dahlin is now ranked higher than Hughes.

We agree that we both think Laf will be better than Hughes. Lets hope if Pronman makes another revision it is to move Laf higher.

The revisionism I spoke of is that in 2019 Hughes was ranked higher than Dahlin. In 2020 Dahlin is now ranked higher than Hughes.

We agree that we both think Laf will be better than Hughes. Lets hope if Pronman makes another revision it is to move Laf higher.

By one guy. Im pretty sure most scouts had Dahlin > Hughes as a prospect, even in 2019. Dahlin was seen as a franchise D, Hughes had a lot more questions around him.

I think most scouts had Svech > Kakko before draft aswell, and Hughes/Kakko was closer than Dahlin/Svech.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I watched him last night too, RG!!! How good is that guy??? Holy shit!!!

...but that's where we're headed, man!!! ...and I'm pretty pumped about it!!!!

Still can't believe this happened.

I actually don't know if I've grasped how huge this is yet. Like we've been hearing this kid's name for three years now. Each draft that passes people say, well wait for 2020 because Lafreniere is the real deal.

Now he's some how on our team. It's unreal.