• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

says who?

Dude, I’m not trying to shit down your throat, but do you honestly believe they’re trading this pick or that they’re even remotely considering it?

Cause... they’re not. They’ll surely get calls and listen. But they aren’t trading the pick . No way.

And the smartest move is to simply make the pick.

Dude, I’m not trying to shit down your throat, but do you honestly believe they’re trading this pick or that they’re even remotely considering it?

Cause... they’re not. They’ll surely get calls and listen. But they aren’t trading the pick . No way.

And the smartest move is to simply make the pick.

They would be brain dead not to consider proposals. Obviously if LA or Ottawa are crazy enough to overpay by a lot they could trade the pick. Do I think it will happen? probably not, but I still want to talk about it without the ATDP spamming their copy and pasted anthems.

They would be brain dead not to consider proposals. Obviously if LA or Ottawa are crazy enough to overpay by a lot they could trade the pick. Do I think it will happen? probably not, but I still want to talk about it without the ATDP spamming their copy and pasted anthems.

Then can you talk about it without complete fabrications like "Kravtsov hates Quinn for making him miss his sister's wedding"?

Anyways.... Here's an interview with JD. It's an easy read between the lines that he's not trading the pick.

##

LeBrun: He wishes he had your pick I bet. But that?s another story. It?s funny after you guys won the lottery there were Rangers fans on social media that immediately pondered the possibility of moving down to two (the second pick) because they feel you need a center more than a winger. I?ll let you tackle that if you want, the possibility of that.

That?s a great question. There?s a lot of general managers in the New York area that wear Ranger jerseys. It?s interesting all this stuff. When you sit there and you?re going to get the No. 1 pick it opens up a whole lot of different thoughts and ideas. I think most teams when they get the No. 1 pick it?s generally a player that?s a very, very good player and so you don?t mess with it at all. But it opens up the avenue to do other things throughout your organization. So it?s something that we always will look at and analyze and try to figure out. We have another pick in the first round. I remember the Patrick Kane draft, Dale Tallon with Chicago took Patrick No. 1 and there was a number of offers, including one from us, and it was pretty darned good but there was no chance that he was going to change and when you look back at it Dale was very, very smart in doing exactly what he did. He took the No. 1 pick and Patrick Kane, as you know, is a future Hall of Famer for sure. So it?s always interesting. It opens up options all throughout your lineup so we?ll see where it all goes.

https://theathletic.com/1992376/2020/08/12/john-davidson-on-alexis-lafreniere-the-rebuild-no-1-pick-trade-scenarios?source=user-shared-article

I mean, it's fun to speculate but at the end of the day there's a very simple reason why 1st oa picks are literally never traded in the NHL. It's almost impossible to find a deal that

a) enables the selling GM to be comfortable with the haul he's getting back

b) doesn't completely gut the buying GM's team and

c) ultimately doesn't represent an enormous risk for one or both of the two parties

That sweetspot pretty much doesn't exist because you simply cannot afford to be the GM that gave up the chance to pick Lafreniere for a less than stellar return. If he becomes a 100+ point, perennial all star winger like the scouting community thinks he will you'd be absolutely done in the league. Take the proposed Tkachuck/3rd/5th/+ something on top deal. On paper it sounds pretty good right? But you'd need Brady to be a 75+ pt character guy, and #3 and #5 to pan out as good top 6/top 4 guys. If the two picks are merely decent NHL players, which is certainly possible, you're fucked. Huge risk. And it goes the other way too. What if Lafreniere is good, but not as great as everyone thought (certainly possible)? If he's more of a 70 point guy and you traded Tkachuck, two premium picks who panned out and something else for him, you're in a world of shit. The stakes are simply too high and the difficulty of finding a balanced deal where both parties walk away confident they've done the right thing for their team is so hard to nail down.

I was thinking about this watching the Canucks the other night. With the benefit of hindsight, the Sabres could've traded out of the Dahlin pick for an absolute haul, drafted Quinn Hughes instead and they'd probably feel pretty good about it right about now. But at the time it was utterly inconceivable. And without the benefit of hindsight, it's just too risky for either GM in a deal like this.

• Like 1

WE ARE NOT GOING TO TRADE OUR FIRST PICK

Then can you talk about it without complete fabrications like "Kravtsov hates Quinn for making him miss his sister's wedding"?

Anyways.... Here's an interview with JD. It's an easy read between the lines that he's not trading the pick.

##

LeBrun: He wishes he had your pick I bet. But that?s another story. It?s funny after you guys won the lottery there were Rangers fans on social media that immediately pondered the possibility of moving down to two (the second pick) because they feel you need a center more than a winger. I?ll let you tackle that if you want, the possibility of that.

That?s a great question. There?s a lot of general managers in the New York area that wear Ranger jerseys. It?s interesting all this stuff. When you sit there and you?re going to get the No. 1 pick it opens up a whole lot of different thoughts and ideas. I think most teams when they get the No. 1 pick it?s generally a player that?s a very, very good player and so you don?t mess with it at all. But it opens up the avenue to do other things throughout your organization. So it?s something that we always will look at and analyze and try to figure out. We have another pick in the first round. I remember the Patrick Kane draft, Dale Tallon with Chicago took Patrick No. 1 and there was a number of offers, including one from us, and it was pretty darned good but there was no chance that he was going to change and when you look back at it Dale was very, very smart in doing exactly what he did. He took the No. 1 pick and Patrick Kane, as you know, is a future Hall of Famer for sure. So it?s always interesting. It opens up options all throughout your lineup so we?ll see where it all goes.

https://theathletic.com/1992376/2020/08/12/john-davidson-on-alexis-lafreniere-the-rebuild-no-1-pick-trade-scenarios?source=user-shared-article

The only question I have about Lafreniere is what number he's going to wear. I have the blue Jersey all ready to order, just need a number now!!! :rofl:

The only question I have about Lafreniere is what number he's going to wear. I have the blue Jersey all ready to order, just need a number now!!! :rofl:

I assume 17 so Jesper Fast moves on to his 6th jersey number

I mean, it's fun to speculate but at the end of the day there's a very simple reason why 1st oa picks are literally never traded in the NHL. It's almost impossible to find a deal that

a) enables the selling GM to be comfortable with the haul he's getting back

b) doesn't completely gut the buying GM's team and

c) ultimately doesn't represent an enormous risk for one or both of the two parties

That sweetspot pretty much doesn't exist because you simply cannot afford to be the GM that gave up the chance to pick Lafreniere for a less than stellar return. If he becomes a 100+ point, perennial all star winger like the scouting community thinks he will you'd be absolutely done in the league. Take the proposed Tkachuck/3rd/5th/+ something on top deal. On paper it sounds pretty good right? But you'd need Brady to be a 75+ pt character guy, and #3 and #5 to pan out as good top 6/top 4 guys. If the two picks are merely decent NHL players, which is certainly possible, you're fucked. Huge risk. And it goes the other way too. What if Lafreniere is good, but not as great as everyone thought (certainly possible)? If he's more of a 70 point guy and you traded Tkachuck, two premium picks who panned out and something else for him, you're in a world of shit. The stakes are simply too high and the difficulty of finding a balanced deal where both parties walk away confident they've done the right thing for their team is so hard to nail down.

I was thinking about this watching the Canucks the other night. With the benefit of hindsight, the Sabres could've traded out of the Dahlin pick for an absolute haul, drafted Quinn Hughes instead and they'd probably feel pretty good about it right about now. But at the time it was utterly inconceivable. And without the benefit of hindsight, it's just too risky for either GM in a deal like this.

It is not risky if a team picking first likes the players available at 2 and 3 the same or more than the guy labeled as #1.

It is not risky if a team picking first likes the players available at 2 and 3 the same or more than the guy labeled as #1.

Well, thats not close to the case here, so thats irrelevant. Laf >>> Stutzle/Byfield. Wing or C is not a factor with a 1OA.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

How do you know how the wacky Rangers scouts view things? They might like Stutzle or Byfield the same or more.

Because Gorton, JD and Quinn have all been interviewed and praised Lafreniere like he was their own kid. None of them mentioned Stutzle/Byfield once. Also every scout in the entire world (atleast 99% of them) agrees that Laf is a level above the rest.

But sure, I understand you dont want Laf (for some crazy reason), so I will let you believe what you want.

Because Gorton, JD and Quinn have all been interviewed and praised Lafreniere like he was their own kid. None of them mentioned Stutzle/Byfield once. Also every scout in the entire world (atleast 99% of them) agrees that Laf is a level above the rest.

But sure, I understand you dont want Laf (for some crazy reason), so I will let you believe what you want.

Why would I not want Laf, I am just playing the Devil's advocate:

How do you know how the wacky Rangers scouts view things? They might like Stutzle or Byfield the same or more.

We haven't really got evidence as to what the Rangers scouts do with slam dunk picks aside from Kakko. They're 1 for 1 on the "dude, that guy" picks in anything resembling recent memory.

The "Rangers scouts need to get out of their heads" narrative applies much more to when we have those middle-of-the 1st picks where we're trying to galaxy-brain everyone.

Barring an absolutely overwhelming, mindblowing, "dude, you're fired if you say no" offer (someone posted Tkachuk, 3, 5, and next years Ottawa 1, unprotected - that's probably in range here), it's Lafreniere.

We haven't really got evidence as to what the Rangers scouts do with slam dunk picks aside from Kakko. They're 1 for 1 on the "dude, that guy" picks in anything resembling recent memory.

The "Rangers scouts need to get out of their heads" narrative applies much more to when we have those middle-of-the 1st picks where we're trying to galaxy-brain everyone.

Barring an absolutely overwhelming, mindblowing, "dude, you're fired if you say no" offer (someone posted Tkachuk, 3, 5, and next years Ottawa 1, unprotected - that's probably in range here), it's Lafreniere.

Me, and it garnered a couple of nos already. I'm not sure if that means it's not overwhelming or if there are unrealistic expectations being formed for Lafreniere ("generational" expectations, not perennial all-star expectations).

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF?

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF?

because this might be the only time to get that type of return for him, his value drops afterwards unless he produces a ton in NHL

Couldn't you say that about any trade? If the Canes wanted Skjei more than a 1st round pick, why wouldn't we rather have Skjei?

There's always going to be people that might prefer one side of a trade versus the other. I think eventually a tipping point is reached when there becomes a large consensus (say, 75+%) that one side is on the better end of the deal, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone thinks so. So what constitutes an overwhelming package might be more akin to when a large majority consensus is reached.

Again, by this logic the number one overall should always be traded.

Hell with that logic we could just trade ADA or Strome plus our later pick for the 2 pick and get both Byfield and ALF right? Right? Lol Kings can afford either, both are proven. Might be the only time they get a proven player.