• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lafreniere is Owen Nolan. That's the closest comp I can think of. He's only generational in the absolute broadest sense. If he's generational, then so is Mitch Marner. Just my opinion, of course.

Trading the first pick, when he's clearly above his peers, is incredibly risky, but if you can get anything resembling Tkachuk/3/5. Holy shit, that's a no brainer to me. I'd want some more "now" parts like Brown, but whatever.

If a French team is willing to overpay for their own dumb reasons then you leverage that and take them to the woodshed.

Huh? Rebuilding teams all have to evaluate prospects the same?

LAF might have added appeal to Ottawa because he is French Canadian. There are an unlimited number of variables that could factor into two rebuilding teams placing more or less value on the same hands down #1 prospect.

History says the Rangers will take LAF. Gorton would have to be overwhelmed to take the risk.

I think this is absolutely true and something I had in mind also. That's a connection with the Ottawa fanbase that New York will never have. It might provide leeway for Dorion to make a trade that might "get a GM fired" under other circumstances. Being able to market Lafreniere as a French Canadian franchise player is worth something to them where it doesn't matter for the Rangers.

I would be on the fence for Tkachuk/#3/#5. I could actually see Ottawa stretching to that. I can't see Ottawa including an unprotected 2021 1st like I mentioned in my deal. Perhaps if it had top 3 protection Ottawa would do, but then it loses some of that overwhelming appeal.

There is no evaluating this prospect. He's the best one in the draft.

He would be the best player out of Brady, number 3 and number 5.

They have their marketable French Canadian in Chabot.

This entire line of thinking assumes we have many holes that we need to address and therefore need a volume of picks over the best pick. That's simply not the case. If we draft ALF, we simply need a second line center. That need could be addressed by signing Strome to a short-term deal and waiting for Henriksson or making another deal.

There's nothing to explain, I don't really see him as a sure thing to be some physical, 100 point, franchise altering, top 5 in the league guy. I think he'll be firmly in that second tier.

That's fair. That's a hot take, though. Is he generational? No. That word is reserved for Crosby and McDavid. Is he likely an elite talent? Yeah. I think there very few who would say he isn't franchise-altering.

There's nothing to explain, I don't really see him as a sure thing to be some physical, 100 point, franchise altering, top 5 in the league guy. I think he'll be firmly in that second tier.
That's fair. That's a hot take, though. Is he generational? No. That word is reserved for Crosby and McDavid. Is he likely an elite talent? Yeah. I think there very few who would say he isn't franchise-altering.
I think Nolan probably had tier three production looking at the number 1 overalls who were drafted before and after him.

Modano

Sundin

Nolan

Lindros

Nolan had some pretty weak numbers compared to those peers, I think.

ALF is certainly a capable of Kane-like numbers, compared to a Crosby or McDavid. Kakko looks more like the Nolan tier.

He’s going to be our Nathan MacKinnon. I see him projecting nearly exactly the same only ALF has better hands too. Leadership the same, style of using force, slightly less speed but softer hands. Think a slightly slower MacKinnon that has Kane’s hands, that will cost under 3m with bonuses for the next 3 years lol.

They aren’t trading that.

He’s going to be our Nathan MacKinnon. I see him projecting nearly exactly the same only ALF has better hands too. Leadership the same, style of using force, slightly less speed but softer hands. Think a slightly slower MacKinnon that has Kane’s hands, that will cost under 3m with bonuses for the next 3 years lol.

They aren’t trading that.

If he maxes out on bonuses it'll be a total of $3.775M but agreed with the rest.

• Like 1

There is no evaluating this prospect. He's the best one in the draft.

He would be the best player out of Brady, number 3 and number 5.

They have their marketable French Canadian in Chabot.

This entire line of thinking assumes we have many holes that we need to address and therefore need a volume of picks over the best pick. That's simply not the case. If we draft ALF, we simply need a second line center. That need could be addressed by signing Strome to a short-term deal and waiting for Henriksson or making another deal.

You left out the context. You made the claim below and when somebody mentioned couldn?t you say that about any trade, you replied that it was only Ottawa since they were also rebuilding. As if all rebuilding teams look at prospects the same way.

Claiming an 18 year old is ?certainly Patrick Kane in terms of talent and skill level? is also a major reach. Kane has 3 Cups, a Hart, a Calder, almost 400 goals, and over 1,000 points.

?Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF??

You left out the context. You made the claim below and when somebody mentioned couldn?t you say that about any trade, you replied that it was only Ottawa since they were also rebuilding. As if all rebuilding teams look at prospects the same way.

Claiming an 18 year old is ?certainly Patrick Kane in terms of talent and skill level? is also a major reach. Kane has 3 Cups, a Hart, a Calder, almost 400 goals, and over 1,000 points.

?Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

ALF may not be McDavid but he's certainly Patrick Kane it terms of talent and skill level.

It's funny that JD referenced the Kane draft and it certainly looks like the same talent gap between Kane... JVR and Turris... As ALF to the next guys.

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF??

Yeah, I know what I said and I know what I meant.

Way to ignore the rest of the post though. Rangers would still be stupid to make that trade, I regardless of your in-depth analysis of the posts.

I wasn't comparing career accomplishments, so I don't see what listing Kane's has anything to do with it LOL.

You left out the context. You made the claim below and when somebody mentioned couldn’t you say that about any trade, you replied that it was only Ottawa since they were also rebuilding. As if all rebuilding teams look at prospects the same way.

Claiming an 18 year old is “certainly Patrick Kane in terms of talent and skill level” is also a major reach. Kane has 3 Cups, a Hart, a Calder, almost 400 goals, and over 1,000 points.

“Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

If Ottawa would rather have ALF than Brady and the 3+5... Why wouldn't we rather have ALF?“

Pete compared ALF in terms of talent and skill set. That’s all anyone can say. It’s not a reach at all. Saying he has a certain players talent and skill does not mean he is saying ALF is guaranteed to produce exactly the same results. I think you are nitpicking a bit here.

Yeah, I know what I said and I know what I meant.

Way to ignore the rest of the post though. Rangers would still be stupid to make that trade, I regardless of your in-depth analysis of the posts.

I wasn't comparing career accomplishments, so I don't see what listing Kane's has anything to do with it LOL.

I don’t want them to trade the pick either. But I got no problem if they listen.

You can’t say he CERTAINLY has the talent and skills of Kane. Hope so, but let him get drafted and play a few NHL games first.

Thank god we can end the debate.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-the-ottawa-senators-wont-be-moving-their-no-3-and-no-5-selections

The Ottawa Senators are going to hold on to what they’ve got.

While talk surfaced on the weekend that the Senators may make a pitch for the No. 1 selection overall in the NHL draft in October by offering their No. 3 and No. 5 selections after the New York Rangers won Phase 2 of the lottery a week ago, team owner Eugene Melnyk dismissed the idea of that happening Monday afternoon.

Yes, the Senators would have been thrilled to win the lottery to take winger Alexis Lafreni?re of the Rimouski Oc?anic, but Melnyk, general manager Pierre Dorion and chief scout Trent Mann are confident Ottawa will get plenty of high-end talent with the No. 3 and No. 5 selections.

That doesn't mean much. It's too early, and why would they come out and say they are trying to get the pick?

It doesn’t end the debate entirely. I think it takes Ottawa out of the running though.

It’s the right logic from Ottawa if this is accurate

They have the rare opportunity to select 2x’s in the top-5 of a loaded draft when they’re in a rebuild and have many holes.

That may actually more valuable to them then LaFreniere would

You can’t say he CERTAINLY has the talent and skills of Kane. Hope so, but let him get drafted and play a few NHL games first.

Well, based on the evidence we have available - i.e. his performance and production as a junior player - you certainly can. His production is second only to McDavid, and his skill level and talent rivals anyone coming out of junior not name McDavid in the last decade.

Of course, what you can't say for certain is whether, or how quickly, that production translates to the NHL.

Personally I feel a lot better about projecting Lafreniere than I did Kakko. He's just got so many tools in his box. And I think he's very different from Kakko in that he's got absolutely elite puck skills, creativity and passing, and a great shot as well. He's not an elite skater, but is quick enough and is much better than Kakko in that regard. When you watch his highlights he just wins in so many ways. It's everything from sniping, dangling, finding seams and delivering the puck tape to tape to physical play and driving the net.

That might sound as if I'm down on Kakko, I'm really not. I just think his skillset takes longer to translate to the NHL level. And I thought everyone, including the scouting community, lost their minds a bit after he dominated the Worlds in terms of projecting immediate impact.

That being said though, it's always difficult to project how quickly guys figure things out at the NHL level. I think we all learnt a certain bit of patience and lowering expectations just a tad is a good idea when it comes to rookies.