• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still can't believe this happened.

I actually don't know if I've grasped how huge this is yet. Like we've been hearing this kid's name for three years now. Each draft that passes people say, well wait for 2020 because Lafreniere is the real deal.

Now he's some how on our team. It's unreal.

So much this!^

Every so often I think about winning the draft and just smile.

I still can't believe last year happened, let alone this year. lol But, definitely more excited about this, though. It's not even close.

I still wake up giggling about this...and without even my hand in my pants this time!!! I'm with Sharpy! I still have a hard time with Kakko from last year. THIS!!!....is just so awesome!!! This kid is going to help make us a powerhouse for the next 15 years or so!!

It's like everything is coming together...kinda like a perfect storm:

...Gorton

...JD

...Kakko

...winning the the lottery for #1 (Lafreniere)

...the $25+ million in Sather contracts coming off after next season....

where's Flounder from Animal House...need his "OH BOYYYYYY....IS THIS GREAT!!!!" line ;)

• Like 1

Finally finished catching up on this thread. My goodness there are some real head scratching posts in here. GIVE ME SOME LAFRENIERE!!!!

Word.

A cost controlled talent like this is a godsend. The only thing that concerns me now is Kreider ending up a 3rd line 6.5mil LW at some point.

Word.

A cost controlled talent like this is a godsend. The only thing that concerns me now is Kreider ending up a 3rd line 6.5mil LW at some point.

FWIW Carpinello did a Q&A on The Athletic and one of the questions was about this (https://theathletic.com/2005517/2020/08/18/live-qa-rick-carpiniello-answers-your-rangers-questions-3/):

Kody F.

Aug 19, 4:01pm

Hey Carp, what are your thoughts on Lafreni?re playing top six minutes in the year ahead with a 6.5m Kreider playing on the 3rd line?

Rick Carpiniello

Aug 19, 4:05pm

@Kody F. I don't see any way on Earth Kreider plays on the third line. He'd much more likely move to the right side if Lafreniere is ready for top six.

Those are my thoughts also. If Laf is clearly good for top 6 minutes in camp, I see Kreider moving to the right.

I'd try:

Laf - Zib - Kreider/Buchnevich

Panarin - Strome - Buchnevich/Kreider

X - Chytil - Kakko

Eventually, Buchnevich is probably the odd man out if Kakko pushes him out.

Try Panarin - Zibanejad - Kreider in preseason.

I really see no issue with Kreider playing on a 3rd line. That means 1 of Kreider, Panarin or Zibanejad is drawing a 3rd defense pairing every shift. And that third line will also have Chytil, Kakko or Kravtsov, so its not like he doesnt have offensive players as options (depending on Quinn)

Also, Kreider would still be getting his PP time, and may be forced to kill penalties this season as well.

If he doesnt, a little less icetime might be benefitial for his short-term and long-term health. Maybe he WONT miss a battle for a playoff spot, for once.

Try Panarin - Zibanejad - Kreider in preseason.

I really see no issue with Kreider playing on a 3rd line. That means 1 of Kreider, Panarin or Zibanejad is drawing a 3rd defense pairing every shift. And that third line will also have Chytil, Kakko or Kravtsov, so its not like he doesnt have offensive players as options (depending on Quinn)

Also, Kreider would still be getting his PP time, and may be forced to kill penalties this season as well.

If he doesnt, a little less icetime might be benefitial for his short-term and long-term health. Maybe he WONT miss a battle for a playoff spot, for once.

Yeah, I really dont see a problem with Kreids playing 3rd line, even with his cap hit atm. If he plays ~15 minutes pr game at 5v5 + PP time, thats not a problem. Would also make our team so much deeper and better.

Laf - Mika - Buch/Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Kakko/buch

Kreider - chytil - Gauthier/Lemieux/Fast(?)

Thats a scary top 9, especially a year or two down the line.

If our 1st line wingers are both on ELC?s there?s no problem having a 6.5m 3rd line winger. 3-4 years from now it could be a problem, but shouldnt worry about that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Opened these on my phone so was hard to understand. All I could see was that Rangers CF% 5v5 were brutal lol.

Opened these on my phone so was hard to understand. All I could see was that Rangers CF% 5v5 were brutal lol.

Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seems like there comes a point in EVERY Rangers season where we suck 5 v. 5, or with a PP or S-handed. This team is always a roller coaster ride. I guess every team is. The eye test says that we have a wider sine wave than other teams.

In any event, we're on a new path to glory -- LGR!

I just saw Morph posted, Zuuc! He had me at "hello" :rofl:

Seems like there comes a point in EVERY Rangers season where we suck 5 v. 5, or with a PP or S-handed. This team is always a roller coaster ride. I guess every team is. The eye test says that we have a wider sine wave than other teams.

In any event, we're on a new path to glory -- LGR!

One word for ya, big guy: Lafreniere!!! :happy:
  • Like 1

I still can't believe it happened. For some reason, I insisted on being in front of the TV for the lottery this year. Just had a feeling. Even though it's never us, I kept thinking our luck has to change, and I could literally see the ball come up in my mind. I had a dream the night we got eliminated that we won the lottery. I even saw Gorton's reaction in the dream (he flew out of his chair and did a fist pump), though it was much more emphatic than his weird smirk. Got home from work at like 6:10, didn't even take the puppy outside to do his peepee, I just let him go on the floor. Totally worth it. It normally takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get home. Thanks to COVID, I did it in 45. Never watched a lottery before. Just truly, truly odd that it actually happened. For what it's worth, even though Edmonton and Pittsburgh were involved, I was convinced it would be Minnesota.

Still trying to sort out just how lucky we got though. Like, I know we got obscenely lucky. But did we get 1st overall in a year where it kind of doesn't matter? By all accounts, he's not a generational talent. Then again, people have Byfield penciled in as a Malkin-esque #1 center, and everyone keeps talking about how good this draft is. But then they also talk about what a large dropoff there is from Lafreniere to everyone else. So if Byfield is a #1 center in the making in what is supposedly a phenomenal draft, and Lafreniere is the clear choice over him, what does that say for Lafreniere? And what does it say that Byfield was invisible at the World Juniors (didn't even play a single shift in the final against Russia), and Lafreniere made the tournament his bitch despite a seemingly nasty injury? Lafreniere returned and got a goal and an assist in his first game back after the injury.

Clearly not McDavid, Ovechkin or Crosby. Hell, stupid Pierre McGuire doesn't even think he's MacKinnon level, though that might be non-center bias and I don't trust Pierre's opinion on anything. Are we looking at Taylor Hall without the attitude issues? Something better? Perennial all-star? Superstar? Just elite level?

All of this being said (and asked), watch us take Yaroslav Askarov because, as Glen Sather once famously put it: "you can never have too many goalies."

I still can't believe it happened. For some reason, I insisted on being in front of the TV for the lottery this year. Just had a feeling. Even though it's never us, I kept thinking our luck has to change, and I could literally see the ball come up in my mind. I had a dream the night we got eliminated that we won the lottery. I even saw Gorton's reaction in the dream (he flew out of his chair and did a fist pump), though it was much more emphatic than his weird smirk. Got home from work at like 6:10, didn't even take the puppy outside to do his peepee, I just let him go on the floor. Totally worth it. It normally takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get home. Thanks to COVID, I did it in 45. Never watched a lottery before. Just truly, truly odd that it actually happened. For what it's worth, even though Edmonton and Pittsburgh were involved, I was convinced it would be Minnesota.

Still trying to sort out just how lucky we got though. Like, I know we got obscenely lucky. But did we get 1st overall in a year where it kind of doesn't matter? By all accounts, he's not a generational talent. Then again, people have Byfield penciled in as a Malkin-esque #1 center, and everyone keeps talking about how good this draft is. But then they also talk about what a large dropoff there is from Lafreniere to everyone else. So if Byfield is a #1 center in the making in what is supposedly a phenomenal draft, and Lafreniere is the clear choice over him, what does that say for Lafreniere? And what does it say that Byfield was invisible at the World Juniors (didn't even play a single shift in the final against Russia), and Lafreniere made the tournament his bitch despite a seemingly nasty injury? Lafreniere returned and got a goal and an assist in his first game back after the injury.

Clearly not McDavid, Ovechkin or Crosby. Hell, stupid Pierre McGuire doesn't even think he's MacKinnon level, though that might be non-center bias and I don't trust Pierre's opinion on anything. Are we looking at Taylor Hall without the attitude issues? Something better? Perennial all-star? Superstar? Just elite level?

All of this being said (and asked), watch us take Yaroslav Askarov because, as Glen Sather once famously put it: "you can never have too many goalies."

Hey Lothbrok!! Gimme 4 of your favorite numbers between 1 and 80 for me, for quick draw!!! :rofl:

I already stated my opinion. I think you're looking at Owen Nolan. Maybe with a bit more upside on playmaking, buts the #1 Pick comparable that is set in my mind.

Yea, you stated it but what's it based on?

For the years he played (99-2010) he ranks 32nd among his peers in total points. He never lead the league in scoring, best was #6. He was putting up 70 point seasons when Mario and Gretzky were putting up 130. Even Sundin, drafted #1 a year before Nolan, had 100+ point seasons when Nolan was scoring 70ish. If Nolan was drafted today he'd be Nico Hischier.

Based on ALFs numbers vs his peers in junior, and the way he's spoken about by those who watch him, I can't see where you're getting this from.

Yea, you stated it but what's it based on?

For the years he played (99-2010) he ranks 32nd among his peers in total points. He never lead the league in scoring, best was #6. He was putting up 70 point seasons when Mario and Gretzky were putting up 130. Even Sundin, drafted #1 a year before Nolan, had 100+ point seasons when Nolan was scoring 70ish. If Nolan was drafted today he'd be Nico Hischier.

Based on ALFs numbers vs his peers in junior, and the way he's spoken about by those who watch him, I can't see where you're getting this from.

I've been toying with Marleau as a comparable, but I just think the NHL has changed way too much from those days to make a fair apples to apples.

At this point I'm content to say that what Lafreniere has done in his junior career leaves him in exceptionally rare company, and I'm excited to see him do that in our jersey.