• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!

Phil

It doesn’t end the debate entirely. I think it takes Ottawa out of the running though.

It’s the right logic from Ottawa if this is accurate

They have the rare opportunity to select 2x’s in the top-5 of a loaded draft when they’re in a rebuild and have many holes.

That may actually more valuable to them then LaFreniere would

yeah, I think there is a decent chance we trade down to 2 to get Byfield. Byfield might be the better of the 2 in the long run. Byfield is about 10 months younger than Lafreniere and has put up almost 2 points per game in a tougher OHL league also has more size and being a centers is more desirable.

So if LA offers 2nd overall + Akil Thomas + Kupari(or some other good prospect) + 2nd rounder for 1st overall + Lias Andersson it would be hard to resist.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I think there is a decent chance we trade down to 2 to get Byfield. Byfield might be the better of the 2 in the long run. Byfield is about 10 months younger than Lafreniere and has put up almost 2 points per game in a tougher OHL league also has more size and being a centers is more desirable.

So if LA offers 2nd overall + Akil Thomas + Kupari(or some other good prospect) + 2nd rounder for 1st overall + Lias Andersson it would be hard to resist.

I just don’t see the Kings paying that much capital to move up 1 spot. Byfield is no slouch. He projects very well too. I think the Kings would be very happy to have him AND keep the additional pieces you mentioned in their prospect pool

And I still say LaFreniere is far too good to pass up.

In order to realistically make that deal they’d really have to

A) Receive a massive return that is huge overpayment

And

B) Be so enamored with Byfield they’d trade the pick.

I just don’t see it.

Fun to speculate and it makes for interesting conversation.

But its probably better to discuss more realistic possibilities, such as a trade involving DeAngelo/Georgiev/Strome/Buchnevich/Other 1st/Prospects in system for a 2C or LHD

I just don’t see the Kings paying that much capital to move up 1 spot. Byfield is no slouch. He projects very well too. I think the Kings would be very happy to have him AND keep the additional pieces you mentioned in their prospect pool

And I still say LaFreniere is far too good to pass up.

In order to realistically make that deal they’d really have to

A) Receive a massive return that is huge overpayment

And

B) Be so enamored with Byfield they’d trade the pick.

I just don’t see it.

Fun to speculate and it makes for interesting conversation.

But its probably better to discuss more realistic possibilities, such as a trade involving DeAngelo/Georgiev/Strome/Buchnevich/Other 1st/Prospects in system for a 2C or LHD

I agree it is not very likely, but it is possible. Also consider that Luc Robataille might push for French Canadians, while Rangers want to grab more viewers with the help of Akil Thomas, Byfield and K'Andre Miller. Also I don't remember last time Rangers had a French Canadian that had good success with the Rangers.

Let me revise the trade to: LA offers 2nd overall + Akil Thomas + Kupari(or some other good prospect) + 2nd rounder for 1st overall + Lias Andersson + Gauthier

the entire "Alexis Lafreniere is a New York Ranger!" thread is about trading Lafreniere :palm:

If any of you win the mega millions let me know i'll trade you a few $20 scratchers and gold necklace for the ticket.

Because he is not yet a New York Ranger and Byfield could be the next Malkin except he is bigger than Malkin:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/04/15/quinton-byfield-scouting-report-2020-nhl-draft-2/

I agree it is not very likely, but it is possible. Also consider that Luc Robataille might push for French Canadians, while Rangers want to grab more viewers with the help of Akil Thomas, Byfield and K'Andre Miller. Also I don't remember last time Rangers had a French Canadian that had good success with the Rangers.

Let me revise the trade to: LA offers 2nd overall + Akil Thomas + Kupari(or some other good prospect) + 2nd rounder for 1st overall + Lias Andersson + Gauthier

Because he is not yet a New York Ranger and Byfield could be the next Malkin except he is bigger than Malkin:

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/04/15/quinton-byfield-scouting-report-2020-nhl-draft-2/

Cool blog.

Here's another from the same site that lists his comparables as Chris Gratton and Niall Yakupov.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/08/12/setting-expectations-for-2020-nhl-draft-top-players/

They list Lafreniere's as Kucherov, Marner, MSL.

So... Yea.

Again, Byfield isn't even the concensus #2. Please show me one serious article that says he may be better than Lafreniere.

Well, based on the evidence we have available - i.e. his performance and production as a junior player - you certainly can. His production is second only to McDavid, and his skill level and talent rivals anyone coming out of junior not name McDavid in the last decade.

Of course, what you can't say for certain is whether, or how quickly, that production translates to the NHL.

Personally I feel a lot better about projecting Lafreniere than I did Kakko. He's just got so many tools in his box. And I think he's very different from Kakko in that he's got absolutely elite puck skills, creativity and passing, and a great shot as well. He's not an elite skater, but is quick enough and is much better than Kakko in that regard. When you watch his highlights he just wins in so many ways. It's everything from sniping, dangling, finding seams and delivering the puck tape to tape to physical play and driving the net.

That might sound as if I'm down on Kakko, I'm really not. I just think his skillset takes longer to translate to the NHL level. And I thought everyone, including the scouting community, lost their minds a bit after he dominated the Worlds in terms of projecting immediate impact.

That being said though, it's always difficult to project how quickly guys figure things out at the NHL level. I think we all learnt a certain bit of patience and lowering expectations just a tad is a good idea when it comes to rookies.

There is no certainty when you are talking about an 18 year old kid. You can say he compares to Kane, the same way all the talk last year was Kakko to Laine. There was the same hype about Hughes and Kakko last year. Generational talents and NHL ready. Then they got to the NHL and we saw things that needed to be worked on. I don’t even think Kane is a good comparison For LAF. LAF is much bigger and plays a more physical game. LAF seems to look to pass more and gets busy in front of the net.

There is no certainty when you are talking about an 18 year old kid. You can say he compares to Kane, the same way all the talk last year was Kakko to Laine. There was the same hype about Hughes and Kakko last year. Generational talents and NHL ready. Then they got to the NHL and we saw things that needed to be worked on. I don?t even think Kane is a good comparison For LAF. LAF is much bigger and plays a more physical game. LAF seems to look to pass more and gets busy in front of the net.

I'm not sure you read what I wrote. I said you can compare Lafreniere to others based on their production as junior players. You can't be certain how well and quickly he adapts to the NHL. I'm pretty sure Pete's comparison with Kane was from a production/skill tier perspective and not that they're the same type of player.

Also, there wasn't the same hype around Kakko and Hughes, and most reputable sources were pretty firm that neither were generational talents, and neither were as good as Matthews/Dahlin etc, nor were they as good as the number one the following year (Lafreniere).

Cool blog.

Here's another from the same site that lists his comparables as Chris Gratton and Niall Yakupov.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/08/12/setting-expectations-for-2020-nhl-draft-top-players/

They list Lafreniere's as Kucherov, Marner, MSL.

So... Yea.

Again, Byfield isn't even the concensus #2. Please show me one serious article that says he may be better than Lafreniere.

Don?t forget Pat Falloon.

I don?t understand why some are so eager to trade the 1st overall pick. Why not focus on moving up from 24 and somehow snag Lundell if he drops out of the top 10.

I'm not sure you read what I wrote. I said you can compare Lafreniere to others based on their production as junior players. You can't be certain how well and quickly he adapts to the NHL. I'm pretty sure Pete's comparison with Kane was from a production/skill tier perspective and not that they're the same type of player.

Also, there wasn't the same hype around Kakko and Hughes, and most reputable sources were pretty firm that neither were generational talents, and neither were as good as Matthews/Dahlin etc, nor were they as good as the number one the following year (Lafreniere).

Pretty much this. Lafreniere is projecting to be the most dominant number one pick since Matthews.

Also spot on regarding my point about Kane. He's a player who's going to get you 70 points in a bad year and 110 in a great one. Every other year he's in the 80ish range. That's the level of production I expect from Lafreniere. Consistent 30g/50a type of production.

Certainly more than Owen Nolan, in context.

• Like 1

I don?t understand why some are so eager to trade the 1st overall pick. Why not focus on moving up from 24 and somehow snag Lundell if he drops out of the top 10.

I don't see trading assets that are either NHL players or close to it in order to trade up from Car's 1st to wait 3 years for a question mark like Lundell. I think if they trade that pick it will be to improve the current roster immediately.

You've got Lafreniere incoming which should be a nice jolt, and there's an opportunity here to improve it that much more with the right deal. Guys like Cirelli and Sergachev, I'd be down with that. Let's screw Tampa over for once.

Agree, Nashville currently has the number 11 pick. RyJo + 11 for Kreider + 24 makes sense. addresses both teams positional need, and we move up in the draft because we're taking on salary that Nashville probably doesn't want to pay.

Even if you don't get a center there, it's not like we don't have centers in the pipeline. Sign Strome as a bridge to Henriksson or someone else.

Center really is not an immediate need at all. Left side defense and bottom six identity are the real question marks. Is that bottom six going to be a change of pace from the top six? Or are they going to grind you?

There was the same hype about Hughes. It was the Hughes draft for years. He was putting up Gretzky like numbers.

So the point is that Laf certainly has the talent and skills of Kane because they had similar numbers? Kane is 5’10” and 175. Laf is 6’1” and will be over 200. Kane is a sniper first, Laf seems to be a playmaker first.

I think (hope) Laf will be a great pick. He seems to have a lot more intangibles that recent Rangers picks have been missing. We need some fire and enthusiasm.

I don't see trading assets that are either NHL players or close to it in order to trade up from Car's 1st to wait 3 years for a question mark like Lundell. I think if they trade that pick it will be to improve the current roster immediately.

Totally agree. I've been harping on about that for months. Package Car's 1st with something else to get a young but established NHL player.

• Like 1

There was the same hype about Hughes. It was the Hughes draft for years. He was putting up Gretzky like numbers.

So the point is that Laf certainly has the talent and skills of Kane because they had similar numbers? Kane is 5’10” and 175. Laf is 6’1” and will be over 200. Kane is a sniper first, Laf seems to be a playmaker first.

I think (hope) Laf will be a great pick. He seems to have a lot more intangibles that recent Rangers picks have been missing. We need some fire and enthusiasm.

Ummm no, we're not comparing them as players. Their build or playing style is not the point here. We're saying that his production in juniors and WJC compares favorably with anyone not named McDavid, and if we're projecting we think he might belong in the Kane tier of players, i.e. not the best in the world but the tier just beneath that.

The fact it was the Jack Hughes draft is neither here nor there, it only means he was the best player in that particular draft.

• Like 1

Ummm no, we're not comparing them as players. Their build or playing style is not the point here. We're saying that his production in juniors and WJC compares favorably with anyone not named McDavid, and if we're projecting we think he might belong in the Kane tier of players, i.e. not the best in the world but the tier just beneath that.

The fact it was the Jack Hughes draft is neither here nor there, it only means he was the best player in that particular draft.

You're on a roll.

And just to add on, I don't think anyone who's watched Kane for more than 5 minutes aould say he's more of a sniper than playmaker. He definitley looks for the pass but will take the shot if he sees you cheat. Part of what makes him so good is that he's so decptive that you never eally know what he's gonna do.

Agree, Nashville currently has the number 11 pick. RyJo + 11 for Kreider + 24 makes sense. addresses both teams positional need, and we move up in the draft because we're taking on salary that Nashville probably doesn't want to pay.

Even if you don't get a center there, it's not like we don't have centers in the pipeline. Sign Strome as a bridge to Henriksson or someone else.

Center really is not an immediate need at all. Left side defense and bottom six identity are the real question marks. Is that bottom six going to be a change of pace from the top six? Or are they going to grind you?

why does Kreider have more value than Johanson?

I don't understand the Faloon and Yakupov comparisons to Byfield. I am guessing the article writer does not know what he is talking about.
So because you don't understand it, he doesn't know what he's talking about? The entry that you posted is from the same blog, the Malkin comparison supports your narrative, so that writer does know what he's talking about?
why does Kreider have more value than Johanson?
They're pretty much the same production wise.

He's got more value to Nashville because they have nothing on the wing, and we are loaded on the left wing. Johansen has more value to us if we decide we need a center. We're taking on salary, so we move up in the draft.

Seems like a rather useless ‘comparison’ then if the point was only to say expectations are that he will be at the tier below McDavid.

Hughes was going to compensate for being smaller with his incredible edge work and vision.

Pronman has Laf 4th in his prospect rankings of the last 5 years. Byfield is 6th and Kakko is 7th. Just based on when they were draft eligible and nothing to do with what happened in the NHL after they were drafted. For what it is worth.