• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your 2018-19 Expectations?

Phil

Shattenkirk wasn’t “bad” at what he was brought here to do, we just hoped for more. His defensive game was on par to what it has been.

I liked Deangelo ‘s play at the end. He was looking like he might be able to be an NHLer. Still want to see him getting certain minutes for 50-60 games. He’s still young.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shattenkirk wasn’t “bad” at what he was brought here to do, we just hoped for more.

He was terrible in Wash during the season and worse in the playoffs. He actually was fine the first few weeks of the season here and red hot on the PP. His production slowed and he became a liability on D. A few weeks later he was atrocious at everything. Worriesome was that it wasn't just the turnovers that turned into odd man advantages. He was out of position often and got beat frequently.

His defensive game was on par to what it has been.

Dunno Josh, seemed pretty awful by TGiving and coincided with a terrible run for the team and D. Let's hope it was the knee and the adjustment. He has his mentor now, maybe he regains his mojo. He seemed more competent on D a few years back in St Louis, even though he had a solid partner allowing him some latitude. Once he started to struggle toward the end of his contract, the Blues choose to trade him for a #1 even though they were in playoff position.

I liked Deangelo ‘s play at the end. He was looking like he might be able to be an NHLer. Still want to see him getting certain minutes for 50-60 games. He’s still young.

Exactly. I wanted to see him turn 3 weeks of solid play into a month and a half. Looking forward to his year with this coaching staff. He's got talent.

Dude was right though in that D'Angelo sucked too, before he was sent down. Then he sucked some more in Hartford. He finally turned things around in Hartford and earned his call up. Purported himself well after returning. He and Pionk were the only promising Dmen late in the year. Pionk performed for 2 months though.

Two letters for you guys: A V

I wanna see him under a different coach....

I'm sorry but AV is not the excuse for every player just not being a good player. AV wasn't the reason Smith was completely out of shape and took a ton of bad penalties either by committing obstruction infractions or throwing pucks over the glass because he was winded.

Smith was great under AV when they first got him. Clearly AV isn't the problem with him.

And I hate AV. Fuck him.

I'm sorry but AV is not the excuse for every player just not being a good player. AV wasn't the reason Smith was completely out of shape and took a ton of bad penalties either by committing obstruction infractions or throwing pucks over the glass because he was winded.

Smith was great under AV when they first got him. Clearly AV isn't the problem with him.

And I hate AV. Fuck him.

He was OK. I think everyone liked him more because he wasn't a pussy like the rest of the team.

Because he has been outright bad two years in a row with 3 different teams. He admitted his knee was a problem and a reason he sucked last year. He is coming off meniscus surgery and hasn't played since January. He was awful, blowing games for the Caps in the playoffs. You saw how much better the Cap D was this year w/o him.

I thought he played pretty well (steadier) and flashed some real ability in the three or so weeks before he went down. I mentioned it numerous times and was pissed when he went out. Interesting enough he and Hayes turned it on at the end.

Before coming to the Rangers he played a whole 39 games in one season with Arizona. He was basically a rookie last year in a crappy D system, but you are ready to trade him and sell low.

?? 44 and 56 points is bad? His time with Washington can be attributed to new guy new team.

I didn't see DeAngelo flash much ability besides the ability to make some really bad decisions with the puck, and the ability to put himself in prone position to get hurt along the boards. I thought he looked good in camp, as he shot the puck a lot and was really good at carrying the puck deep.

Maybe I was just pissy about the team and didn't look at anything positively.

If points and being a premier power play quarterback are all that matter shattenkirk will impress. If being a traffic cone and possibly the worst in zone defender ever seen matters than he’s a disaster. To me he’s both. It’s just a matter of when the latter outweighs the former.

?? 44 and 56 points is bad? His time with Washington can be attributed to new guy new team.

He had 23 points last year, not 44.

Shatty was a stud on the PP. He has excellent vision, makes good decisions and accurate passes at the point. He was bad defensively. About a month into the season his offense diminished and his D was atrocious. Optimistically, let's hope the injury was a major factor and we'll see a better Shatty this year. I love the guy personally, he is a spitting image of my nephew who also plays and coaches hockey.

I didn't see DeAngelo flash much ability besides the ability to make some really bad decisions with the puck, and the ability to put himself in prone position to get hurt along the boards. I thought he looked good in camp, as he shot the puck a lot and was really good at carrying the puck deep.

Maybe I was just pissy about the team and didn't look at anything positively.

Yeah, understandably you were probably "just pissy." ADA was making bad decisions, played poorly on D and deserved to be sent down. He sucked in Hartford for a while, but finally started to turn things around there. When he was called back up he looked like a different player. Unfortunately, the ankle injury ended his first good run with the team.

And I hate AV. Fuck him.

Pete...I blame the War of 1812 on AV!! I hated that guy with every ounce of blood in my body! LOL

I'm so curious to see what these guys do with Quinn...

You know, I gotta admit.....as far as expectations go; I see the team coming out of the gate and showing some flashes of good. But as this year winds on, and that early season adrenaline wears off, I see this year going to be a "Bad News Bears" kinda year. Especially when it comes to those January/February/March days.

Once the trade deadline hits and we deal off the rest of the vets for draft picks and whatnot, it should be pure comedy after that point.

I still think it's best this team goes in the shitter this season, and maybe next as well. So honestly my expectations are set thinking at least 1/2 this group we're going to be watching is going to be LONG gone by the time we're a real "team" again. I'm not getting in any uproar about wins, losses or anything like that this year. The only thing I wanna see is young players playing a lot and learning/showing progress by the end of the year.

I do wanna see Brendan Smith return to form though; That's one stick point for me. That guy is a good defenseman and he can play at a high level. We've seen it and need to see it again. I think under Quinn this guy comes of age again.

im pulling for smith as well. i dont know what he was thinking last summer. not like he won the cup and was running around with lord stanley.

Could be anything these days...maybe his chick dumped him for a guy with a bigger weenie....it was definitely something eating at him. Once he gets his shit back together, he'll be a tough bastard back there again.....hopefully sooner than later.

i been avidly listening to the NHL network and its like they have a total aversion to talking about anything rangers. frankly the guys they have on running these shows are more like fans than actual hockey guys that know anything about young players coming up through the pipe.

they took a question this morning from one of our fans asking how they expect the rangers to deploy the salary cap space and these guys had no clue how to answer other than making a stupid joke about them not having cap space since they traded duguay in 82.

the question however is seriously worth weighing. do we jump in at some point whether its next off season or the year after to make a veteran move or are they just hopeful that they have drafted properly to pay their own talent.

There are like 15 teams better than the Rangers and they've done nothing this offseason. Why would NHL Network talk about them? lol

On paper I?d even say that we may be 20th-25th

Defense might be bottom 5 in the league

A few nice touches up front, but a lot of question marks between youth and players acquired at last deadline.

If Hank is average we could be 20-25th

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

i been avidly listening to the NHL network and its like they have a total aversion to talking about anything rangers. frankly the guys they have on running these shows are more like fans than actual hockey guys that know anything about young players coming up through the pipe.

they took a question this morning from one of our fans asking how they expect the rangers to deploy the salary cap space and these guys had no clue how to answer other than making a stupid joke about them not having cap space since they traded duguay in 82.

the question however is seriously worth weighing. do we jump in at some point whether its next off season or the year after to make a veteran move or are they just hopeful that they have drafted properly to pay their own talent.

I have 2 months of NHL Network radio, and I've been traveling a lot, so it's been on.

I think lack of Rangers coverage has been a bit frustrating, too. I think I've heard about every other teams moves several times. I know what size underwear everyone in the Knights organization wears and I know even more about Tampa Bay. The worst part is, its every show, and theyre on loop. At least theyve switched from Karlsson to Panarin, I guess.

They advertised a Rangers offseason segment to air last Friday, but I never heard it. Other than that, I heard someone randomly mention the Rangers getting Panarin (it seemed like he slipped and said the wrong name) and one caller complained about Sather , which they ignored and moved on to the next caller. Other than that, nothing.

Mornings are a horror show. Stellick and Simmer are unlistenable and Kouleas and whoever are not insightful. July and August also suck. The best guys are on vacation, we get replays, juvenile topics and hypothetical shit nobody but the most bored would enjoy.. I would not judge much in the summer, better to listen to music till camp starts.

After 1PM it's decent with better guests and more serious interviews. Wyshinski, Marek, Kevin Weekes, EJ Hradek, Buccigross and national guys like Custance, McKenzie and Dreger are regulars to listen for. The HockeyProspects show with Edwards is awesome if you can catch that. So is some of the stuff buried on the weekend, which caters to the more dedicated hockey fan. I find O'Sullivan an excellent listen (you may have seen others here disagree), but he's not there much in the summer. He'll talk about stuff the NHL probably hates to hear. Who knows how long a guy with his candor will last.

I think it?s easy to understand.

The Rangers are currently a nothing team that has done fuck all this off season (rightly so). It stands to reason that they?ll be focusing on the good teams and those making moves.

Agreed. Until they do something meaningful or make themselves relevant there's nothing to talk about. It's all a result of where we are in the big picture.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived