• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your 2018-19 Expectations?

Phil

Mornings are a horror show. Stellick and Simmer are unlistenable and Kouleas and whoever are not insightful. July and August also suck. The best guys are on vacation, we get replays, juvenile topics and hypothetical shit nobody but the most bored would enjoy.. I would not judge much in the summer, better to listen to music till camp starts.

After 1PM it's decent with better guests and more serious interviews. Wyshinski, Marek, Kevin Weekes, EJ Hradek, Buccigross and national guys like Custance, McKenzie and Dreger are regulars to listen for. The HockeyProspects show with Edwards is awesome if you can catch that. So is some of the stuff buried on the weekend, which caters to the more dedicated hockey fan. I find O'Sullivan an excellent listen (you may have seen others here disagree), but he's not there much in the summer. He'll talk about stuff the NHL probably hates to hear. Who knows how long a guy with his candor will last.

They all sound the same to me, except O'SullIvan.

But they've done check-ins with every teams, usually talking to 2 guys in some form whether its players, management, beat writers, play by play, etc to get some insight on the teams, and their offseason.

I've heard them do the same teams. Never the Rangers.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking "less is more" this year. I don't even wanna hear anything about this team until we get this rebuild moving....maybe in 2 years (hopefully). I'm happy with them lying in the weeds for 2 years.

They all sound the same to me, except O'SullIvan.

But they've done check-ins with every teams, usually talking to 2 guys in some form whether its players, management, beat writers, play by play, etc to get some insight on the teams, and their offseason.

I've heard them do the same teams. Never the Rangers.

Sirius/Xm is pretty unlistenable. Kinda boring and bland coverage.

They've been grading each teams GM for their off-seasons. I think I missed the Rangers today (they were doing Minnesota yesterday and that was at about 3pm?)..

The friggin programming is out dated. The music they play upon returning from breaks is just lame old pop rock shit. Get with the fucking times. Nobody thinks Papa Roach is edgy or cool (did anyone EVER.....no).

Effort. I want to see guys playing like they mean it. No more ‘open skate’ shifts off for Kreider. Also, let’s hope that the PP has some kind of different look. Even if it doesn’t work, let’s see something. Anything!

Hey big guy, you have to text me your number again...new phone and lost the old contact. =)

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure anymore what this team can do to make me feel good about this season. We are lacking top line talent - we've got a bunch of 2nd and 3rd line players. I guess it would be great to see the kids start to develop, but I don't see elite talent there either.

Looks like we're treading water for a few years until we get a talent infusion.

The depressing thing for me is I don't see how next year is going to be that different from this year.... It may be at least 3-4 years until we are even back in the playoffs.

Sorry, start of this year has just been hard to watch.

I think many need to start bringing their expectations down, this team was never going to be good this season. This season is about starting a new culture and weeding out what remains of the old.

As far as top tier elite talent, there isn?t any on this current roster and there wasn?t going to be any. That type of talent is hopefully playing in the KHL and/or going to be selected at the next draft.

I think many need to start bringing their expectations down, this team was never going to be good this season. This season is about starting a new culture and weeding out what remains of the old.

As far as top tier elite talent, there isn?t any on this current roster and there wasn?t going to be any. That type of talent is hopefully playing in the KHL and/or going to be selected at the next draft.

This this this

Quinn was brought in specifically to get a young roster on the right track. Not to deliver a playoff team overnight. Expect many ups and downs this season.

I’m sticking with my prediction on page 1 of this thread, namely that this roster will do well to get north of 65 points.

Might actually be even worse, which is fine as this year is about developing young players, flipping guys left, right and centre at the deadline and coming in armed with a very high 1st round pick + 2 or 3 more first rounders in the draft.

I'm not sure anymore what this team can do to make me feel good about this season. We are lacking top line talent - we've got a bunch of 2nd and 3rd line players. I guess it would be great to see the kids start to develop, but I don't see elite talent there either.

Looks like we're treading water for a few years until we get a talent infusion.

The depressing thing for me is I don't see how next year is going to be that different from this year.... It may be at least 3-4 years until we are even back in the playoffs.

Sorry, start of this year has just been hard to watch.

Fletch, I think the Jets win the Cup this year w/o an "elite" talent and contends for years and years. Maybe folks are starting to consider Schiefele close, but that is very recent. It took a few years before Schiefele and Wheeler even approached the level they are on now.

Nashville was so very close, w/o an elite star. I heard goalies don't count and PK is not elite.

No one knows what Kravtsov or Chytil are going to be. People compared Kravtsov to Kuz. No one thought Kuz was elite until the last year or so. I don't think Chytil has even scraped the surface of what he will be. Howden is underrated. What if his ceiling is Bergeron like?

Oops, forgot about Laine. Sorry. Laine is an elite wing.

Gravesy, you show me people even mentioning Schiefele in the top half of #1C's in this league just 2 years ago. And Wheeler was never looked at as elite. He was often criticized as a guy who was an all around player who'd never be a true star, until very recently when his game became undeniable.

I think mainly the Jets players were overlooked due to the city they were playing.

Schiefele was a #7 overall pick and had 82 pts at age 23.

Wheeler was a #5 overall pick and had 64pts in 80 games 8 years ago. And since then has only become better.

Add too overall 10 picks like Ehjers, Trouba, and Laine. And we simply don?t have near the top end they do....yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

As far as top tier elite talent, there isn’t any on this current roster and there wasn’t going to be any. That type of talent is hopefully playing in the KHL and/or going to be selected at the next draft.

Before the season started, I knew that there were going to be a lot of losses. But now that the losses are starting to pile up, seeing the on-ice product is more difficult. We are pinning our hopes on management finding and developing young talent. That hasn't exactly been our franchise's calling card for many years.

Fletch, I think the Jets win the Cup this year w/o an "elite" talent and contends for years and years. Maybe folks are starting to consider Schiefele close, but that is very recent. It took a few years before Schiefele and Wheeler even approached the level they are on now.

Nashville was so very close, w/o an elite star. I heard goalies don't count and PK is not elite.

No one knows what Kravtsov or Chytil are going to be. People compared Kravtsov to Kuz. No one thought Kuz was elite until the last year or so. I don't think Chytil has even scraped the surface of what he will be. Howden is underrated. What if his ceiling is Bergeron like?

Laine is elite.

Filip Forsberg is elite.

Agree with some of the thoughts on our prospects, though not necassarily on the Howden/Bergeron train yet.

As far as prospects go, Anderrson too, don't forget K'Andre Miller and Nils Lundqvist. And Shesterkin, who'll take over where Lundqvist leaves off. If most of these guys gel, we have a new core of high level if not elite talent, not including Panarin or other free agents.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Before the season started, I knew that there were going to be a lot of losses. But now that the losses are starting to pile up, seeing the on-ice product is more difficult. We are pinning our hopes on management finding and developing young talent. That hasn't exactly been our franchise's calling card for many years.

What would you rather they do? It?s a rebuild, they are going the correct route - restocked the prospect pool and will continue to do so this year. This year is about competing and losing.

Agree with some of the thoughts on our prospects, though not necassarily on the Howden/Bergeron train yet.

Totally prudent and understandable. Can I get off that train, while we are at it? Too premature and very few reach those heights. It may be his ceiling, but it is also against the odds that he achieves that level. And a bit of a jinx.

Agree Forsberg is close enough, though again he is barely mentioned in the mainstream elite convo, for what that's worth. If he can put together his best year maybe more will take notice. Or he has that strong playoff that leads Nashville to a Cup.

Laine becomes best winger in hockey this year?

Totally prudent and understandable. Can I get off that train, while we are at it? Too premature and very few reach those heights. It may be his ceiling, but it is also against the odds that he achieves that level. And a bit of a jinx.

Agree Forsberg is close enough, though again he is barely mentioned in the mainstream elite convo, for what that's worth. If he can put together his best year maybe more will take notice. Or he has that strong playoff that leads Nashville to a Cup.

Laine becomes best winger in hockey this year?

IMO that's Ovechkin until it isn't, but he's certainly in the conversation.

Forsberg playing in NY or TO would get far more press. He's absolutely in the conversation around top 10 forwards in the game. He's not surrounded by the talent some other guys are.

Yeah. You either embrace the process or you don't. It's not easy, because as a fan you're always conflicted. I'm 100% on board with the rebuild and I understand that being shit is for the best long term, but that doesn't mean I didn't get out of my seat when Smith scored the tying goal against the Sharks. Doesn't mean I didn't yell "fuck off" at the TV when the refs fucked us over against the Oilers. You always want to win and enjoying losing doesn't come natural.

It'll probably be easier next season, as the team will feel a bit "new" and hopefully prospects like Kravtsov, Rykov, Hajek, Shesty etc will join up.

There are still far too many leftovers with no future here to really feel like a proper rebuild and an actual process, and it's a bit difficult getting pumped for watching guys like Shattenkirk, Hayes and Staal being shit.

Archived