• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your 2018-19 Expectations?

Phil

Yeah. You either embrace the process or you don't. It's not easy, because as a fan you're always conflicted. I'm 100% on board with the rebuild and I understand that being shit is for the best long term, but that doesn't mean I didn't get out of my seat when Smith scored the tying goal against the Sharks. Doesn't mean I didn't yell "fuck off" at the TV when the refs fucked us over against the Oilers. You always want to win and enjoying losing doesn't come natural.

It'll probably be easier next season, as the team will feel a bit "new" and hopefully prospects like Kravtsov, Rykov, Hajek, Shesty etc will join up.

There are still far too many leftovers with no future here to really feel like a proper rebuild and an actual process, and it's a bit difficult getting pumped for watching guys like Shattenkirk, Hayes and Staal being shit.

Very good points. This season is more demolition than development and the main focus is to eat another year of expensive deals, sell high on veterans and wait for the draft.

Is next season going to be easier? Yeah, probably, but we have to remember that the roster will most likely be even worse after a deadline sale. Even if we bring in Andersson, Kravtsov and Hajek, they can't replace guys like Namestnikov, Zuccarello and Fast from day one.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As is....

Bottom 4 in the conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Perhaps it?s because I?m out town and it?s easier to step away from the losing but their start hasn?t bothered me at all. I am paying for the NHL Live App. to follow them but even though I know they are losing 75% of time it feels worth it with the hope that the rebuild will be done correctly by management. If in 2-3 years things are not progressing then I?ll get pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If they play this volume-shooting style of hard, physical hockey all year but lose three of every four games, I'm A-OK with that. Give me Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko and the cultural benefits of bringing along future staples in that kind of competitive environment all day long.

Yeah. You either embrace the process or you don't. It's not easy, because as a fan you're always conflicted. I'm 100% on board with the rebuild and I understand that being shit is for the best long term, but that doesn't mean I didn't get out of my seat when Smith scored the tying goal against the Sharks. Doesn't mean I didn't yell "fuck off" at the TV when the refs fucked us over against the Oilers. You always want to win and enjoying losing doesn't come natural.

It'll probably be easier next season, as the team will feel a bit "new" and hopefully prospects like Kravtsov, Rykov, Hajek, Shesty etc will join up.

There are still far too many leftovers with no future here to really feel like a proper rebuild and an actual process, and it's a bit difficult getting pumped for watching guys like Shattenkirk, Hayes and Staal being shit.

It's not that we enjoy losing, it's understanding that it's beneficial to long term process.

If they play this volume-shooting style of hard, physical hockey all year but lose three of every four games, I'm A-OK with that. Give me Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko and the cultural benefits of bringing along future staples in that kind of competitive environment all day long.

You're OK with losing 3 out of every 4? Hmmmmmm.......

Sorta like the Giants

Losing hurts more in the NFL for me. Games only once a week, heated division rivals meeting only 2x a year, etc. Since the NHL is watered down by 82 games, any individual loss (when the team is rebuilding) doesn't hurt so much. Either way, patience will be needed with both teams. Hopefully ATLEAST one of the two is legit contending in 2-4 years.

Losing hurts more in the NFL for me. Games only once a week, heated division rivals meeting only 2x a year, etc. Since the NHL is watered down by 82 games, any individual loss (when the team is rebuilding) doesn't hurt so much. Either way, patience will be needed with both teams. Hopefully ATLEAST one of the two is legit contending in 2-4 years.

J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets

I for one am totally cool with what we're doing as a franchise; Losing blows, yeah sure....but the whole "short term pain" statement fits here. I'm fine with Quinn. He's inherited a lot of the left over dog shit from what was before him...including a team that's played without a "system" for over 1/2 a decade.

There are some players that are playing pretty well, and giving it their all. Howden comes to mind here. I absolutely love watching this guy! He's going to be a solid NHL'er for many years to come and I'm going to follow this kid's development right up the chain. I'm not very concerned about wins and losses at this point. For me, I just want to see effort, dedication and desire to get better as a player and as a franchise.

So far so good! Wins and losses I don't think tell the whole story at this point.

I am curious however to see what kind of style they play on the upcoming road trip; I'd really like to see them finishing checks and getting the puck deep more. They've been guilty of way too many NZ turnovers.

Losing hurts when you have nothing to lose for. This is strategic. It has purpose. It is short-term pain for long-term gain. I'm more than fine with that.

Absolutely. Luckily we’re not Ottawa :rofl:

I think we’re getting a very high pick this year. One of the weakest teams in the league for sure.

Absolutely. Luckily we’re not Ottawa :rofl:

I think we’re getting a very high pick this year. One of the weakest teams in the league for sure.

And they'll only be worse after the deadline when they liquidate again.

The team is basically win one, lose three (to start) with Hayes, Zucc, etc. Wanna take a stab at their pattern once those guys are all scrapped for parts?

And they'll only be worse after the deadline when they liquidate again.

The team is basically win one, lose three (to start) with Hayes, Zucc, etc. Wanna take a stab at their pattern once those guys are all scrapped for parts?

Probably no better than 1 in 4.

I said we’ll struggle to get north of 65 points. I’m sticking with that prediction for now.

Losing hurts when you have nothing to lose for. This is strategic. It has purpose. It is short-term pain for long-term gain. I'm more than fine with that.

So. The fans that root for their team to lose in the fantasy of hoping that a super, duper hot shot super star will emerge in distant drafts are on the right page? Not the fans that root for their team to win, in the possible reality that their team might just stumble, by dumb luck into a play off position and maybe, by some quirk of fate win a championship are wasting their time so why bother, correct?

I'd sure like to hear the player's perspective on losing for a reason. I'd bet that they would go into irreversible convulsions. Makes absolutely zero sense, immho.

GO RANGERS!!

As for the guys that have expressed frustration with losing, I completely get it. It's easy to say trust the process and tough it out during the rebuild but on the other hand there's no guarantee whatsoever that sucking balls leads to anything down the road. Did the way the Rangers approached it in the past lead to a bevy of cups, hell no. It did lead to one and it did lead to a good number of years of exciting playoff hockey. Assuming that it's going to be a two or three year turn around may turn out to be nothing but wishful thinking. So many pieces have to fall in place that I understand the skepticism. Time will tell but time doesn't guarantee a damn thing.

Cheers to hoping for the best.

Given their contract situation and the next two draft classes, I don't think there's a better time to be bad. Enjoy what fun you get over 82 games. I'd rather be bottom of the league bad in the short-term than constantly be middle of the pack. I don't want to be the Ducks.
Ducks, Minnesota, Boston, Detroit until recently, arguably St. Louis...

Yup, I agree.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived