• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your 2018-19 Expectations?

Phil

I'm not entirely convinced they'll be a lotto team this coming season. For all we know this new coaching staff may be able to get them to play actual defense. I think they'll hang in the most worthless spot of all. Right in the middle. Where they won't make playoffs but won't get too high of a pick either.

This is kind of how I see it. I'd prefer a lottery pick to this, but I find it more realistic that we see the team maybe start poorly and then have mid to late season progression. Think kind of like the season the Coyotes had just a little bit better. For this team to go full lottery, Lundqvist needs to fall off considerably, and the defense needs to remain stagnant. I don't see either of those two happening.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is kind of how I see it. I'd prefer a lottery pick to this, but I find it more realistic that we see the team maybe start poorly and then have mid to late season progression. Think kind of like the season the Coyotes had just a little bit better. For this team to go full lottery, Lundqvist needs to fall off considerably, and the defense needs to remain stagnant. I don't see either of those two happening.

Yeah I think Hank basically needs to get hurt, ala Carey Price, if they want to finish dead last. You know, they showed signs of life after the deadline last year. With players like Holland and DD gone, maybe the younger guys take another step and surprise people. I'm actually looking forward to this season. More than last season.

Mostly same team...new system...minus the "good" players from last year...and rookies?

This team has a solid shot at a top 5 pick.

Mostly same team...new system...minus the "good" players from last year...and rookies?

This team has a solid shot at a top 5 pick.

All of those "good" players can be replaced by someone else to a certain extent with the exception of McDonagh. They're not as bad as they were at the end of the season, but they're also not a good team.

I'm not entirely sure what people are seeing when they expect this team to end up in the middle of the pack.

For me, teams like Florida, Dallas, St Louis, Carolina, Colorado etc are far stronger than this current Rangers team.

I mean, it's not impossible, but for the Rangers to compete with those teams would probably require guys like Kreider, Zib and Buch upping their game considerably and above all an astonishing improvement in the defensive side of the game.

If Quinn can make that happen in his first year then fair fucks to him, but for me a far more likely scenario is bottom 10-5.

All of those "good" players can be replaced by someone else to a certain extent with the exception of McDonagh. They're not as bad as they were at the end of the season, but they're also not a good team.

We can say Grabner sucks, but he still scored 27 or so goals? Who's replacing that? Yes, McD can't be replaced. Yes, Nash wasn't great but who's replacing that presence?

Staal is unlikely to repeat last year's performance at this point.

Smith is a wild card.

Shatty doesn't help keeping pucks out of net.

A positive is if you get full seasons of Krieder and Z.

I don't see how they're not as bad (if not worse) than after the deadline last year. They shot a load based on anger over mgmt dumping the season and then fizzled out.

We can say Grabner sucks, but he still scored 27 or so goals? Who's replacing that? Yes, McD can't be replaced. Yes, Nash wasn't great but who's replacing that presence?

Staal is unlikely to repeat last year's performance at this point.

Smith is a wild card.

Shatty doesn't help keeping pucks out of net.

A positive is if you get full seasons of Krieder and Z.

I don't see how they're not as bad (if not worse) than after the deadline last year. They shot a load based on anger over mgmt dumping the season and then fizzled out.

I'm o.k. with this scenario, as long as the youth can develop and not go down the edmonton road. lets get another draft under our belt. After that the needle better start moving higher or heads should roll.

To be honest the horseshit 3 point system the nhl uses keeps bad teams relevant or at least hopeful for far longer than the traditional standings. I would fully expect the rangers to struggle but based on the standings have an outside hope of qualifying for the playoffs come deadline time. Depending on which fork in the road they take cone deadline will determine middle of the pack and high lotto. If another trade off comes I expect lotto, if the team surprises and stays competitive I can see an addition or two at the deadline to make a push for an 8 seed.

It has to be taken into account that the early season is to some degree an illusion. The nhl ramps up more than any sport. Hockey in October is far different and worse than the hockey in February and then April. The start will be huge because as the season goes on the games get tougher.

This thread is starting to reveal 2 types of expectations being discussed. Team and individual.

Seems we mostly in sync regarding the team. Ranging from bottom of the division to squeaking into the playoffs. It is the individual expectations that are more interesting, as well as harder to pin down. Add a new coach and system, on top of an injection of young blood and almost everyone is a wildcard.

Zib - full health all year, he might be deadly.

Kreids - looked like he had his epiphany. Consistency to follow?

Shatty - recovery from knee? Will his old coach and friend rejuv his career?

Staal - every good year from here on out is unexpected.

Those and a few others have age or injury intrigue. Yet even more curious will be the change we could see in others. Who is going to "show me" and earn a longterm future here.

Vesey - horrid relationship with AV means big 'new coach' impact here. Total fresh start mentally.

Hayes - bonified 2C or just a good shutdown 3C? Is there still growth since he keeps improving?

Buch - untapped potential, we're hoping. Critical he takes another step forward.

ADA - picks up where he left off, pre high ankle sprain?

Names - great on entries and exits, can he find a fit here? Could surprise. W or C?

Spooner - can he provide that O and playmaking all year? W or C?

Smith - def wildcard. SHOW ME

Andersson - what's his ceiling? how's his skating? is he ready?

Chytil - shhh, he's might be that guy. Will he play W to ease his transition to top 6 minutes, alleviating the need to focus on all the D responsibilities?

Skjei - some (me) think he becomes a top-pair dman. Others much less impressed. Anticipate problem of assessment, as there is no competent RHD to pair with him, when facing top lines.

Pionk - should be honing his game on 3rd pair and may be forced to top pair.

Georgie - flashed starter potential. This year should tell a lot.

Claesson - will be the pleasant surprise. Cheap, tough and competent.

Howden, Hajek - two-way talent and character! How close to ready are they?

Lindgren - great person, leader and intangibles. How good a prospect and hockey player is he?

Nieves, O'Gara, Gilmour, Meskanen - can any stick and become good bottom roster guys?

This thread is starting to reveal 2 types of expectations being discussed. Team and individual.

Seems we mostly in sync regarding the team. Ranging from bottom of the division to squeaking into the playoffs. It is the individual expectations that are more interesting, as well as harder to pin down. Add a new coach and system, on top of an injection of young blood and almost everyone is a wildcard.

Those and a few others have age or injury intrigue. Yet even more curious will be the change we could see in others. Who is going to "show me" and earn a longterm future here.

Vesey - horrid relationship with AV means big 'new coach' impact here. Total fresh start mentally.

Hayes - bonified 2C or just a good shutdown 3C? Is there still growth since he keeps improving?

Buch - untapped potential, we're hoping. Critical he takes another step forward.

Names - great on entries and exits, can he find a fit here? Could surprise. W or C?

Chytil - shhh, he's might be that guy. Will he play W to ease his transition to top 6 minutes, alleviating the need to focus on all the D responsibilities?

Skjei - some (me) think he becomes a top-pair dman. Others much less impressed. Anticipate problem of assessment, as there is no competent RHD to pair with him, when facing top lines.

Lindgren - great person, leader and intangibles. How good a prospect and hockey player is he?

Nieves, O'Gara, Gilmour, Meskanen - can any stick and become good bottom roster guys?

As it stands what would a mock roster even look like? It's hard to picture it at the moment.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Vesey - Hayes - Zucc

Names - Chytil - Spooner

Meskanen - Andersson - Fast

McLeod

Shattenkirk - Skjei

Smith - ADA

Staal - Pionk

Am I missing someone?

On paper, that's a really weak lineup. As you said, lots of individual question marks. The defense is a potential dumpster fire if Smith isn't in the NHL.

As it stands what would a mock roster even look like? It's hard to picture it at the moment.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Vesey - Hayes - Zucc

Names - Chytil - Spooner

McLeod

Shattenkirk - Skjei

Smith - ADA

Staal - Pionk

Am I missing someone?

On paper, that's a really weak lineup. As you said, lots of individual question marks. The defense is a potential dumpster fire if Smith isn't in the NHL.

your lineup is why i think they need to move Hayes at some point. I'd like to see Anderson if he makes the team playing at least the 3c.

It reads optimistically, Giacomin. And that's fair enough, if they come out and give their better individual and team efforts.

Team and individual, individual and team. Bit of both.

I think there's the potential for a team-wide boost if they stay positive, stick together and play for each other ? and don't implode like they did last year once it became clear that the rebuild was on.

But Quinn will have his work cut out keeping the team's spirits up if they deliver lame efforts and the building gets mean.

I think the team aspect is underrated if the morale is maintained.

But Pete's unvarnished bottom - 5 lottery pick-type assessment could just as well be their fate.

they have youth on their side, for the most part, and this is not a country-club rebuild, so here's hoping for a hard entertaining effort every time they get the chance.

What might be interesting is the margin of goal difference; when it comes to the games they lose, will it be by 1 goal or 2 or more?

That said, where they finish, with our luck, could be just out of the playoffs but not low enough to get that lottery pick.

I just hope it's spirited, hard played and entertaining.

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Vesey - Hayes - Zucc

Names - Chytil - Spooner

McLeod

Shattenkirk - Skjei

Smith - ADA

Staal - Pionk

Am I missing someone?

Just Claesson who will fight for a 3rd pair or 7th spot.

You can see the weakness in the lineup. Shatty matchups are going to be brutal, would rather hide him. Chytil, Names and Spooons might mix sklillsets well, but I'd would like to see more strength/size next to Chytil. Hayes line does not have a real scoring threat on his line or speed. Top line is not a top line unless Buch takes a major step forward offensively and defensively.

I wonder ho we move at next year’s deadline besides Zucc

Me too. The one that makes the most sense because of redundancy and contract/age is Shatty. If he puts up a bunch of points maybe we could get a first for him and one for Zuc. It would be a helluva a way to rebuild. Not needing to rely on any free agents to build a contender. Yet, still having internal competition over the next 3-5 years.

That has what, 3 guys under 24 years old? If the roster is looking that bad, You need another young guy or 2 in there getting some sheltered minutes.

You still need to develop guys to have a successful rebuild. Tanking every season doesnt do it.

It reads optimistically, Giacomin. And that's fair enough, if they come out and give their better individual and team efforts.

Team and individual, individual and team. Bit of both.

I think there's the potential for a team-wide boost if they stay positive, stick together and play for each other — and don't implode like they did last year once it became clear that the rebuild was on.

But Quinn will have his work cut out keeping the team's spirits up if they deliver lame efforts and the building gets mean.

I think the team aspect is underrated if the morale is maintained.

But Pete's unvarnished bottom - 5 lottery pick-type assessment could just as well be their fate.

they have youth on their side, for the most part, and this is not a country-club rebuild, so here's hoping for a hard entertaining effort every time they get the chance.

What might be interesting is the margin of goal difference; when it comes to the games they lose, will it be by 1 goal or 2 or more?

That said, where they finish, with our luck, could be just out of the playoffs but not low enough to get that lottery pick.

I just hope it's spirited, hard played and entertaining.

Yes, but to get the kind of team effort you saw with Vegas, we'll need a lot of the individuals to make a jump and impress. Plus we may not have the young quick horses to swarm the opposition or speed/talent in the top 4 on D like Schmidt, Theodore and Miller.

Down the road Howden, Hajek, Krat, Miller and Lundkvist are all plus skaters and will change that.

One thing about effort, it won't overcome the big holes in the roster. Waves of talented quick lines from the Pens, Caps, Jets, Bolts, Leafs, Bruins will cause mistakes and breakdowns even when effort is there. How do we shelter Shatty? Then deal with a slow Staal or an inexperienced small Pionk? With ADA and Smith?

It may read optimistically, but I'm pessimistic about a few things. Shatty, even if he returns to form on the PP, can he not kill us 5 on 5? Not psyched about pairing him with Skjei. If Buch doesn't grab a top role, Kreid and Zib will not hit their potential. Can Names, Spoons and Vesey all take the next step in their game? How good can Hayes be without a speedy aggressive winger like Hags. Spooner might work better than Zuc because of speed and willingness to shoot, but still need a match on the other wing. Can Andersson skate well enough to live up to his draft position?

Why does Shattenkirk need to rejuvenate his career?

Was DeAngelo REALLY upping his game before he got hurt. I must have missed that. Can anyone point out what it was that raised eyebrows, that he was coming around after pretty much sucking in the AHL, and was pretty terrible in his own end and lack luster offensively, when they GAVE him a spot?

ADA is my Hayes of the D. If he has ANY value, I'd deal him as soon as possible. Very unimpressed with him last season.

Why does Shattenkirk need to rejuvenate his career?

Because he has been outright bad two years in a row with 3 different teams. He admitted his knee was a problem and a reason he sucked last year. He is coming off meniscus surgery and hasn't played since January. He was awful, blowing games for the Caps in the playoffs. You saw how much better the Cap D was this year w/o him.

Was DeAngelo REALLY upping his game before he got hurt. I must have missed that. Can anyone point out what it was that raised eyebrows, that he was coming around after pretty much sucking in the AHL, and was pretty terrible in his own end and lack luster offensively, when they GAVE him a spot?

I thought he played pretty well (steadier) and flashed some real ability in the three or so weeks before he went down. I mentioned it numerous times and was pissed when he went out. Interesting enough he and Hayes turned it on at the end.

ADA is my Hayes of the D. If he has ANY value, I'd deal him as soon as possible. Very unimpressed with him last season.

Before coming to the Rangers he played a whole 39 games in one season with Arizona. He was basically a rookie last year in a crappy D system, but you are ready to trade him and sell low.

Archived