• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NY JETS Discussion

Shane Falco

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

No.  The problem is the Jets always look for the easy quick fixes when they're not just blowing chunks naturally.

We're going to hear the term "old man injury" a lot over coming weeks and days because like Vinny and Brett Favre Aaron Rodgers was an old man with an injury waiting to happen.

Right, and hasn't he injured this before? You're not wrong about looking for the quick fix, but they still have awful luck, though. lol You have to think a trade is coming, no? Watch them bring back Darnold to back up Wilson or even to start. 😆

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Right, and hasn't he injured this before? You're not wrong about looking for the quick fix, but they still have awful luck, though. lol You have to think a trade is coming, no? Watch them bring back Darnold to back up Wilson or even to start. 😆

He's had physical injuries that he played through the last two seasons.  This one is by far the worst and he's on the shelf.

Woody thinks you can buy success and that has never worked for us.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Probably career ending, no?

Probably not.  He's still due $38M guaranteed in 2024.  He'd have to be willing to walk away from that guarantee.

The funny thing is the guarantee may keep him playing long enough to come back from the injury.  No idea if he's going to be capable at that point but Jets QB's are generally incapable so that probably won't matter.

I still can't believe what a saw!  4 plays, and DONE?!?!?!?!?   "Jets-Luck" makes what we go through as Rangers fans look like we stepped in shit!

I'm a Raiders fan, but it's hard not to feel bad for all that work, and hype they put into this season with Rodgers.  Fuck it!  Play the kid!  He's got a good arm, and a good head on his shoulders.  I'm gonna pull for Wilson all year.

...except when we play them, that is!!  😉

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Probably not.  He's still due $38M guaranteed in 2024.  He'd have to be willing to walk away from that guarantee.

The funny thing is the guarantee may keep him playing long enough to come back from the injury.  No idea if he's going to be capable at that point but Jets QB's are generally incapable so that probably won't matter.

I don't think its the money as much as the ego that will bring him back.

8 hours ago, Br4d said:

No.  The problem is the Jets always look for the easy quick fixes when they're not just blowing chunks naturally.

We're going to hear the term "old man injury" a lot over coming weeks and days because like Vinny and Brett Favre Aaron Rodgers was an old man with an injury waiting to happen.

I dunno. They've tried drafting and developing QBs. That's not quick or easy. They just suck at one or the other.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I dunno. They've tried drafting and developing QBs. That's not quick or easy. They just suck at one or the other.

It's the owners.  They make bad hires in the front office and it goes downhill from there.

I can’t believe this. I literally cannot wrap my head around the fact that this happened. For all of the heartbreaks I have seen, this one has me absolutely speechless.

It just doesn’t seem real that the guy we spent almost everyday talking about since the Pat McAfee Show announcement that he intended to play for the Jets is out for the season after 4 fucking plays. If you blinked, you missed it. I just can’t believe it. And honestly, you just feel bad for the guy. He was all-fucking-in. All-in. He was perfect for us from Day 1. He bought in to the Jets, to the city, to being a mentor to this absolutely loaded but very young roster. He bought in to the notion that he knew what his job was and how important he was and how this franchise has spent the better part of its existence as a punchline. He took a paycut to help the front office bring in talent. He was preparing for the year but also grooming Wilson. I mean, he literally was as good as you could ever hope for.

It is so gut wrenching and crappy to see this happen. And I hope we get to see him again. That being said, the show does have to go on. And he would be the first to say it. This roster has so much talent on the defensive side, and so many game breakers on the offensive side. Yes this is a monumental gut punch, but there is still reason for optimism. That ride up the mountain got harder. But hopefully this youthful enthusiasm will rally around this and get us all and Zach over the hump.

Just such shitty news. Wow.

The Jets could still win 10 games this season if they adapt the offense to what the QB and o-line can do.  No wins in the playoffs likely but they have a shot at making the post-season.

Run the ball out of a modified Erhardt-Perkins.  Run it a lot.  That makes up for the weaknesses in pass protection and allows the line to leverage it's size in a proactive way.

When the Jets do throw the ball it should be on favorable downs, 1st and 10, 2nd and 6 or less, and they should do it off of play action and they should throw timed routes 20 yards plus down field.  Take half the field out of the read because Zach can't read the whole field and chew gum at the same time.  Make them deep shots because that's the kind of ball he can throw well and because the defense isn't going to have safeties lined up deep after it becomes clear that ground and pound is the plan.

There should be a back in the backfield on every play and Zach should be under center.  Never let the defense know for sure that a pass is coming.  No empty backfield spreads.  Every play should look like a hand off at some point to keep the linebackers at home and keep the strong safety cheating towards the LOS.

It's not a great shot at the playoffs but it is respectful to the effort the defense and special teams are going to have to be making on every play to have any shot at all.

Problem with this is that the O-Line SUCKS!!!!  Aaron Rodgers had 4 snaps, the last 3 he was under pressure in an instant, so think about now Zach Wilson who will be under center with this putrid O-line, he'll be seeing ghosts very quickly.  Teams will stack the box and force Wilson to beat them with his arm which going against a competent  defense will be hard to do.  Jets did beat a very good Bills D, but realistically Josh Allen played the shittiest game a QB can play, Bills took the Jets for granted once Rodgers went down, and let the Jets stay in the game.  If I had some more balls on DraftKings, I would have bet more than the $1 I did when the Jets were +1000 when it was 13-3, you were able to tell that the Jets were going to hang around and just needed a play or 2 to make it a game. 

Josh Allen had to play a smart game and he didnt.  Credit the Jets D for coming up big when they needed to, and Garrett Wilson making an improbable catch for a TD.  

Defense will have to win these games for the Jets, and their is so many games the defense can win pretty much by themselves.  

I'm no Jets fan by any means, but this Breece guy runs like he has a rocket up his ass.  He should be a nice part of your guys' offense this season.  Your defense should keep you guys in pretty much every game; they're relentless!!!

I'm rooting for Zach.  I think that kid has balls, and can do the job.  If you guys don't like him, I'd gladly have him on the Raiders!!!  I'm not sure Jimmy G lasts the season, but here's hoping!

Best of luck this year fellas!!

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I'm no Jets fan by any means, but this Breece guy runs like he has a rocket up his ass.  He should be a nice part of your guys' offense this season.  Your defense should keep you guys in pretty much every game; they're relentless!!!

I'm rooting for Zach.  I think that kid has balls, and can do the job.  If you guys don't like him, I'd gladly have him on the Raiders!!!  I'm not sure Jimmy G lasts the season, but here's hoping!

Best of luck this year fellas!!

Zach Wilson would be the perfect Raider's recovery project.  He can't run a modern offense but put him in an old-style Erhardt-Perkins or Air Coryell and he'll complete 55% of his passes for 7.5 yards an attempt and that's good enough to win sometimes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Zach Wilson would be the perfect Raider's recovery project.  He can't run a modern offense but put him in an old-style Erhardt-Perkins or Air Coryell and he'll complete 55% of his passes for 7.5 yards an attempt and that's good enough to win sometimes.

For older Jets fans - this is the Chad Pennington Offense.

This sucks for Rodgers, it sucks for the NFL, and it sucks for the Jets. All the same, I cannot possibly think of a more Jets thing than thinking QB is finally figured out only to have the future HOFer you brought in last all of four snaps.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Our last QB completed over 55% of his passes!!!

The problem was, it was to the OTHER team!   LOL

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

For older Jets fans - this is the Chad Pennington Offense.

This sucks for Rodgers, it sucks for the NFL, and it sucks for the Jets. All the same, I cannot possibly think of a more Jets thing than thinking QB is finally figured out only to have the future HOFer you brought in last all of four snaps.

Chad retired with a 66.0% completion percentage which was best all time at the time of his retirement.  He's still #11 on the all-time list and the only contemporary who passed him was Drew Brees.  The other 9 guys have all played under the really liberal passing rules of the last decade.

The offense I'm suggesting would be similar to the Raiders offenses after they got Jim Plunkett.

Chad's Jets did not run that offense.  They ran a true Erhardt-Perkins with Chad spreading the ball around and generally throwing under 10 yards on his pass attempts, hence the very high completion percentage.  Zach Wilson does not have the accuracy to do that even if he had the field vision to let him read who was open or likely to be there in the next few steps.

You learn to throw the ball to the spot on the field where the receiver will be when you are like 14, maybe 16 at the outside.  If you don't have it then you are really unlikely to pick it up later and Zach does not have it.

Edited by Br4d

For what it's worth ...Week one win against a talented Bills team without Rodgers should give hope. First half of last season looked good. With Rodgers on the sidelines to coach Zach through, it could still be a good season. Definitely a growing season regardless. 

Josh Allen is why the Jets won that game.

He's always been skittish when the spotlight landed firmly on him.  Deer in the headlights. 

The reason he's a plus QB right now is that he reworked his throwing motion after his 2nd season in the NFL, got rid of the hitch, and raised his completion percentage about 10 points in the process and made himself an NFL QB.

Nobody's every really done that before.  10k throws in the off-season with a coach (Jordan Palmer) helping him fix the big thing that was making him sail passes over his receivers heads.  Mad props to him.

But he's still a head case.

Jets season could go either way right now.  The QB is not ideal and the OL is not good.  However the defense is very good.

The key to me though is the OC.  Hackett clearly does not understand Zach Wilson any better than he understood Russell Wilson last season.  Not suggesting BTW that ZW is in the ballpark with Russell Wilson, he's not even in the parking lot.

However both QB's have similarities in their preferred play styles and the things they are not good at doing.  One of those preferred things is much preferring to throw a deep vertical game out side the hashmarks.  The other is not being good at or wanting to throw the ball under 20 yards inside the hashmarks.

Hackett basically blew his, the Broncos and Russell Wilson's season last year by not working to his QB's strengths and avoiding the things he did not want to do.

He'll absolutely do the same to his, the Jets and Zach Wilsons season this year if he doesn't have a come to Jesus moment about what Zach needs to be doing and what he just can't do well.

20 hours ago, lefty9 said:

He'll probably pull both of his Achilles heel after signing his contract

That would be a total disaster because I want him to play QB.  He can't be worse than ZW.

ZW is the worst QB to get starts in 3 NFL seasons.  The only guy who comes close is Joey Harrington and even he was better than Zach.

Edited by Br4d