• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NY JETS Discussion

Shane Falco

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nah, I want Zach!  I like that #2 overall kinda feel.  Our offensive line will work for him.

Jamarcus Russell was a much better actual QB than Zach.  Just to give you a reference point that will make sense.  🙂

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Jets can find somebody to take Aaron Rodgers contract for next season?

In theory maybe the Vikings or Seahawks might be willing to take the same chance the Jets did this year albeit with much more complete rosters?

I think if the jets could just ditch the contract it would be enough.  Maybe get a conditional 4th thrown in if Rodgers started half the season that upgraded to a 3rd if he did that and they made the playoffs and to a 1st if he started for them and won the Super Bowl?

Couldn't hurt to sniff things out because no way no how is Rodgers worth anything to the Jets on the field while they are starting a total rebuild on offense.  It's not like they have a prayer of actually using his talents for anything useful next season.

15 hours ago, Br4d said:

I wonder if the Jets can find somebody to take Aaron Rodgers contract for next season?

In theory maybe the Vikings or Seahawks might be willing to take the same chance the Jets did this year albeit with much more complete rosters?

I think if the jets could just ditch the contract it would be enough.  Maybe get a conditional 4th thrown in if Rodgers started half the season that upgraded to a 3rd if he did that and they made the playoffs and to a 1st if he started for them and won the Super Bowl?

Couldn't hurt to sniff things out because no way no how is Rodgers worth anything to the Jets on the field while they are starting a total rebuild on offense.  It's not like they have a prayer of actually using his talents for anything useful next season.

It couldn't hurt to explore the trade, but I'm not sure it's fair to say they're in a rebuild space just yet. They have playmakers in Hall and Wilson. Lazard isn't a bad player, and they clearly like Gipson. Rodgers is a great QB, obviously. They've spent big picks on the O-Line, but those guys can't stay healthy. 

I can't help but wonder if the Jets are suddenly far better if Rodgers is back, Vera-Tucker can stay healthy, leave the draft with, say, JC Latham, and then get in on the WR free agency frenzy this offseason. 

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It couldn't hurt to explore the trade, but I'm not sure it's fair to say they're in a rebuild space just yet. They have playmakers in Hall and Wilson. Lazard isn't a bad player, and they clearly like Gipson. Rodgers is a great QB, obviously. They've spent big picks on the O-Line, but those guys can't stay healthy. 

I can't help but wonder if the Jets are suddenly far better if Rodgers is back, Vera-Tucker can stay healthy, leave the draft with, say, JC Latham, and then get in on the WR free agency frenzy this offseason. 

The Jets are terrible right now and Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have made a difference this season.  He'd have had no time to pass and he'd have gotten hurt sooner or later probably on the sooner timescale.

Joe Douglas is a *really* bad GM and he's been so for virtually his entire tenure with the team.  He's been punished for each mistake he's made and somehow he keeps getting brought back to make more of them.

Zach Wilson was a 4th round prospect drafted on pick #2.  AVT was traded up for as a sure thing despite the fact that there are no sure things in the NFL.  His injuries the last two seasons have been a red light example of why you don't trade two high picks to take one player.

All of the free agent signings have been wishful thinking attached to a much higher price tag than was warranted by the player in question.  It's like JD revels in wasting Woody Johnson's money.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Jets are terrible right now and Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have made a difference this season.  He'd have had no time to pass and he'd have gotten hurt sooner or later probably on the sooner timescale.

Joe Douglas is a *really* bad GM and he's been so for virtually his entire tenure with the team.  He's been punished for each mistake he's made and somehow he keeps getting brought back to make more of them.

Zach Wilson was a 4th round prospect drafted on pick #2.  AVT was traded up for as a sure thing despite the fact that there are no sure things in the NFL.  His injuries the last two seasons have been a red light example of why you don't trade two high picks to take one player.

All of the free agent signings have been wishful thinking attached to a much higher price tag than was warranted by the player in question.  It's like JD revels in wasting Woody Johnson's money.

Mate, I get you're angry at the team, but it's just wildly unfair to say some of this. Aaron Rodgers getting hurt was nowhere near a certainty - the dude had missed 16 games in his entire career before this season. I'm not sure I can speak perfectly to Douglas here, but folks were raving about his offseason until guys started getting hurt - he brought in Rodgers, he brought in Lazard, he drafted well, and so on. There's no way they lose to the Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, or Falcons with Rodgers, IMO - all one-score games that a better QB makes a big difference in, not to mention that they'd probably have beaten that horror show of a Chargers team with him too.

Zach Wilson was routinely rated as a top QB prospect. He rose fast in response to his 2020 season, but he was constantly there on big boards and expert rankings. And AVT - those picks were Christian Darrisaw, Kellen Mond, and Wyatt Davis. Not sure what I'd rather have here.

I get shit's not great for them and hasn't been for a while, but for once this isn't on Douglas. Injuries hit hard, and I think they're far closer than folks think to being very relevant.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

Mate, I get you're angry at the team, but it's just wildly unfair to say some of this. Aaron Rodgers getting hurt was nowhere near a certainty - the dude had missed 16 games in his entire career before this season. I'm not sure I can speak perfectly to Douglas here, but folks were raving about his offseason until guys started getting hurt - he brought in Rodgers, he brought in Lazard, he drafted well, and so on. There's no way they lose to the Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, or Falcons with Rodgers, IMO - all one-score games that a better QB makes a big difference in, not to mention that they'd probably have beaten that horror show of a Chargers team with him too.

Zach Wilson was routinely rated as a top QB prospect. He rose fast in response to his 2020 season, but he was constantly there on big boards and expert rankings. And AVT - those picks were Christian Darrisaw, Kellen Mond, and Wyatt Davis. Not sure what I'd rather have here.

I get shit's not great for them and hasn't been for a while, but for once this isn't on Douglas. Injuries hit hard, and I think they're far closer than folks think to being very relevant.

I've been watching the Jets for 50 years now.  I'm an expert on bad QB's and bad GM's and the Jets had both in this go round.  🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Jets priority 1 this off-season should be getting a huge trade package for Sauce Gardner.

The only thing Joe Douglas is good at is the trade game.  If he's going to stick around for next season he should fleece somebody by trading a CB who does not create turnovers for a couple of high draft picks+.

• 3 weeks later...

State of the Jets - QB, Offense and all that Jazz (especially LT)

Entering the 2024 off-season the Jets have a thirteen year gap since their last playoff appearance.  During the last five seasons they have not ranked higher than 28th in points scored.

The last QB to start a full season for them was Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015. Since 2015 thirteen QB's have started at least one game for the Jets.

The last LT to start a full season for them was Kelvin Beachum in 2018.  The Jets have started fourteen players at LT since D'Brickashaw Ferguson retired after 2015.

Since 2015 the Jets have made 25 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks.  Two of those have been used on a potential LT, those being Chuma Edoga in the 3rd in 2019 and Mekhi Becton in the 1st in 2020.

Since 2015 the Jets have used 2 1sts and 4 2nd round picks to take QB's.  That includes the 3 seconds traded in the trade-up from 6 to 3 to take Sam Darnold.

The Jets have spent most of those picks without having a solid LT in place for the QB they were taking.  You can give Joe Douglas a benefit of the doubt because of the Becton pick but in retrospect Becton had a severe knee  issue at the time and the Jets are still without a LT going into 2024.

What I'm trying to suggest is that the pattern of Jets stinkola is largely related to not having an effective offense.  The reason the Jets don't have an effective offense is they don't have an effective QB protected by an effective LT.  This is true even as of the Aaron Rodgers acquisition.  When Rodgers came in he was not protected by an effective LT and everything came tumbling down on the first series of the season.

This was not an unlucky event that happened to the Jets.  It was an unlucky event that happened because the Jets had an ineffective strategy on offense as they have had since 2015.  If Rodgers hadn't gone down in that series he was going down sooner or later because he had an ineffective LT guarding his blindside.

In 2024 this pattern is likely to repeat because once again the Jets do not have an effective LT to guard the QB.  Anybody they draft will be an untested rookie and any vets they acquire will have been dropped by somebody else before the Jets acquire them, making them suspect acquisitions.

There are a few potential answers to the LT - QB conundrum the Jets are staring at.  The Jets could trade a valuable asset to another team for a proven LT.  This would reduce the risk to a basic injury risk, which no answer will be devoid of. 

The valuable asset is likely to be the 1st round pick or 2nd round pick at the outside.  It could be one of the Jets good defensive young players who are still on their first contract.  The reason it is going to be this expensive is that the Jets can't afford to acquire a question mark at LT this time around.  No aging vets, no injury cases, no young guys who took a step back making them expendable by their team.

David Bakhtiari is frequently mentioned as a possible addition for next season.  However he has not played a full season since 2019 and he has missed most of two of the past four seasons.  He's also definitely in the step-down phase of his career, turning 33 next season.  He is 100% the wrong answer for the Jets this season.  He would be a fulfillment of the pattern that has devastated the Jets over the last eight years.

To fill LT this year the Jets can spend the #10 pick on a LT and hope they get it right.  They can trade the #10 pick to another team for a good LT and know they got it right.  They can trade Sauce Gardner to another team for a good LT and a pick and know they got it right.

The good LT is probably more likely to be available in the Gardner trade than any other method.  Teams don't give up good LT's unless they know they're getting something very good in return.  And we're not talking a 28+ year old LT.  We're talking a guy in his prime that will give the Jets 4+ years of solid play barring injuries.

Why are we trading a great young CB on his first contract for a solid LT?

Because we've committed organizational malpractice on the offense for close to a decade now and we have to quickly repurpose assets from defense to offense to fix this.  We don't have a year to wait and see on a draftee.  We have 40 year old Aaron Rodgers to protect next season and we need a 100% ready to go LT to do that.

It's sad but when you're bad often the most sound moves are sad.

• 1 month later...