• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Report: McDonagh Submits His Ten-Team No-Trade List

The Dude

This is where you have to make the big push for Tavares, get his support and d in the McD trade and your already better

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Tavares with a crappy D corps is what the Isles have now. Tavares makes a big difference if you ALSO have a top D, so I think it'd be silly to sign JT AND trade Mac. Those are antithetical to one another.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is where you have to make the big push for Tavares, get his support and d in the McD trade and your already better

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes, but with how often a player of Tavares? caliber signs with a new team as a FA and the history of players going between Rangers and Islanders, I think we have a better chance of winning the stanley cup this year then getting Tavares as a FA.

Tavares with a crappy D corps is what the Isles have now. Tavares makes a big difference if you ALSO have a top D, so I think it'd be silly to sign JT AND trade Mac. Those are antithetical to one another.

Look at the defensemen Nashville has traded away.

Look what the Penguins won a cup with.

Skjei is progressing. Shattenkirk has the PP for another 3 seasons. Smith and Staal fill in. DeAngelo is here.

That's not a bad core, if everyone is playing decent hockey.

Besides, the best defense is offense.

Skjei is progressing. Shattenkirk has the PP for another 3 seasons. Smith and Staal fill in. DeAngelo is here.

The only defenseman they traded away was Seth Jones. Weber for Subban is a wash. Besides, you can trade them away when you have 3 other top-pair defenders too.

The Penguins have two HoFers at C, and, potentially, another one on the wing.

Shattenkirk, Smith, and Staal aren't any better than Hamonic, de Haan, Leddy, and whatever other boners the Isles have put back there over the last decade.

The Isles are 3rd in goals and last in goals against and shots against. So no. The best defense is defense.

The Rangers have a good core now, if everyone is playing decent hockey. So if you're adding JT and saying the same thing, you haven't really made yourself better enough to justify the cost.

I'd honestly prefer either of the two Euro wingers to Dahlin.

Based on what?

We've seen how effective a dynamic defenseman can be. Erik Karlsson is arguably the best player in the game. They can control the entire game. If the Rangers get forwards for Nash, Mac, Grabner, etc. Who's going to play defense?

Smith was demoted to the AHL in the first year of his contract....not a good sign. The only reason Staal is still here is because Slats lost his mind with that contract. I like Skjei a lot but I don't think he is ready to be our top d-man as of yet. Deangelo I'm excited about his offensive potential but he still has ways too go defensively. Shatty yes will be or PP guy but even he has some issues defensively. So if we do trade Mac we definetly need to plan how to fix the defense because that "core" you listed wont do the job

Based on what?

We've seen how effective a dynamic defenseman can be. Erik Karlsson is arguably the best player in the game. They can control the entire game. If the Rangers get forwards for Nash, Mac, Grabner, etc. Who's going to play defense?

Not arguing Dahlin going 1OA, but, IMO, Karlsson is WAY over rated. He is, essentially, a fourth winger. Half the time when he jumps into the play, he doesn't even come back to his position. Sure, he gets a lot of points that way, but he has to chase the play and when he is faced up to the opponent, he stinks. I would take Hedman all day every day over Karlsson, and even he can be a liability defensively.

Not arguing Dahlin going 1OA, but, IMO, Karlsson is WAY over rated. He is, essentially, a fourth winger. Half the time when he jumps into the play, he doesn't even come back to his position. Sure, he gets a lot of points that way, but he has to chase the play and when he is faced up to the opponent, he stinks. I would take Hedman all day every day over Karlsson, and even he can be a liability defensively.

I actually think Karlsson us UNDER rated. To me, he's the most dynamic player in the NHL when he's healthy. Shit, even when he's not healthy, he's a game breaker. He has more of an impact on his team than Crosby IMO. He's on the ice for half the game. He kills penalties and runs the power play. He joins the rush offensively and skates well enough to get back to defend. He's nearly a point per game defender who plays +hockey (aside from this year, obviously).

I'm not sure what you're expecting from a defender. Perfection? A liability defensively? Do you understand how much Tampa and Ottawa rely on their #1 defender? You can't have it all. You can't have a stay-at-home dman and a game changer at the same time. It doesn't work that way.

It just seems silly to say you'd rather have a scoring winger than Dahlin who is BY FAR the most talented player in the draft by all accounts. I get that a defenseman isn't as sexy as a scoring winger but you're talking about drafting a potential generational talent. A player that plays on your back end for the next 10-15 years. The next Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson. The Rangers get almost nothing from their D at the moment.

I also think Karlsson is greatly overrated. His next contract will be an albatross immediately. The guy can’t defend at all. That’s not asking for it all. It’s asking him to play a somewhat average game defensively. He’s a better Shattenkirk. He will get his points but at what cost.

I’d rather have mcd if I was Tampa as he would fill out their top four perfectly while still giving up nothing at the offensive end. Karlsson is the perfect guy to star on a shit team. He’s exciting but his very existence and high risk play is a loser more times than not

I also think Karlsson is greatly overrated. His next contract will be an albatross immediately. The guy can’t defend at all. That’s not asking for it all. It’s asking him to play a somewhat average game defensively. He’s a better Shattenkirk. He will get his points but at what cost.

I’d rather have mcd if I was Tampa as he would fill out their top four perfectly while still giving up nothing at the offensive end. Karlsson is the perfect guy to star on a shit team. He’s exciting but his very existence and high risk play is a loser more times than not

You'd rather have McDonaugh? I just don't think anyone else in the NHL feels this way. Mac is fine, but he's not even in the same conversation as Karlsson. The Sens had one player last year. Karlsson. He took them to the ECF on a broken foot. Imagine if he was actually on a good team?

Comparing him to Shattenkirk is doing him a great disservice.

I actually think Karlsson us UNDER rated. To me, he's the most dynamic player in the NHL when he's healthy. Shit, even when he's not healthy, he's a game breaker. He has more of an impact on his team than Crosby IMO. He's on the ice for half the game. He kills penalties and runs the power play. He joins the rush offensively and skates well enough to get back to defend. He's nearly a point per game defender who plays +hockey (aside from this year, obviously).

I'm not sure what you're expecting from a defender. Perfection? A liability defensively? Do you understand how much Tampa and Ottawa rely on their #1 defender? You can't have it all. You can't have a stay-at-home dman and a game changer at the same time. It doesn't work that way.

It just seems silly to say you'd rather have a scoring winger than Dahlin who is BY FAR the most talented player in the draft by all accounts. I get that a defenseman isn't as sexy as a scoring winger but you're talking about drafting a potential generational talent. A player that plays on your back end for the next 10-15 years. The next Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson. The Rangers get almost nothing from their D at the moment.

I didn't say I wanted a winger instead of Dahlin.

I said I thought Karlsson was over rated and your assessment is a hyperbole. The guy stinks in his own end. I watch a lot of his games and he continually loses puck battles, gets beaten 1v1 and gets out muscled. Yes, he can skate and join the rush. He is a dynamic forward playing defense. He is very talented, but FAR from a complete player. IMO, to name him in the upper echelon of all time defenseman would be a crime.

You'd rather have McDonaugh? I just don't think anyone else in the NHL feels this way. Mac is fine, but he's not even in the same conversation as Karlsson. The Sens had one player last year. Karlsson. He took them to the ECF on a broken foot. Imagine if he was actually on a good team?

Comparing him to Shattenkirk is doing him a great disservice.

Yes, GM's would take Karlsson over McDonagh, but Karlsson could not hold McDonagh's nut sack in his defensive end.

Darren Dregger is tweeting that McD is much more likely to be moved than people think. At first it seemed like Gorton was accepting offers but wasn't going to trade him unless the return was compelling. However, it is starting to look parallel to the Stepan situation, where Gorton made a firm decision to trade someone and was simply going to take the best he could get. A week ago I would have said there was a 50% chance McD would be on the Rangers next year. That looks more like 25% now.

Darren Dregger is tweeting that McD is much more likely to be moved than people think. At first it seemed like Gorton was accepting offers but wasn't going to trade him unless the return was compelling. However, it is starting to look parallel to the Stepan situation, where Gorton made a firm decision to trade someone and was simply going to take the best he could get. A week ago I would have said there was a 50% chance McD would be on the Rangers next year. That looks more like 25% now.

I think the fact that Mac has been "injured" for so long tells you what their intent with him is.

McD is a special player when playing well. I can't think of many D men with the same skill set he has.he can hold his own offensively, but one of his teammates explained it best (I forget who) but his ability in his own end to cause turnovers, like a bowling ball, and turn it up the other way was pretty special.

McD is a special player when playing well. I can't think of many D men with the same skill set he has.he can hold his own offensively, but one of his teammates explained it best (I forget who) but his ability in his own end to cause turnovers, like a bowling ball, and turn it up the other way was pretty special.

All of which should be remembered by posters (and GMs) ready to ride him out of town on a rail.

I don?t see Dreger tweeting that

Archived