• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Report: McDonagh Submits His Ten-Team No-Trade List

The Dude

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get the Karlsson thing. He may never be the same player due to injuries and he isn't that young.And he will not be reasonable cap wise. Would go against everything Gorton's letter says they're trying to do.

That's not real. First of all Hags is killing it in Pitt with Malkin and partly responsible for his mates success. He is their best defensive player, skater and pker. He is going nowhere.

Pen fans (and likely mgmt) want Grabs cause they hope he'll be another Hagelin. That kind of thinking propelled them to a Cup 2 years ago. They became faster and more skilled then the rest of the league. They see he can generate chances on his own. Grabner is like an IQ test for GMs and scouts. Which teams are aware of Grabner's game-to-game impact? I mentioned earlier, the Bruins and Jets are rumored to be interested. All three teams have been managed well, in recent years.

The Jets are loaded. If we want a prospect with 1st round value Dylan Samberg (D) or Vesalainen (W) is having a breakout season. If the Rangers like Samberg, either prospect or their 1st works for me.

Fatty, give us more Sprong. Isn't he their best prospect? I know he was a late 2nd, but he has outplayed his draft status and I think they are pretty high on him. I'd guess they'd be more inclined to trade their 1st, is that wrong?

BTW, that report of the Rangers asking for a 2nd for Grabs does not ring true.

1. Too early.

2. Why would the Rangers say that or leak that?

3. When more than 2 teams are calling, why would good mgmt limit the return by announcing a lower than expected value during an auction? Too soon for that, too.

4. After getting a 3rd plus a flyer on a kid for Holden, does a 2nd for Grabs sound right?

Essentially, I believe there is enough value and enough interest (demand) in Grabs that a late 1st seems like fair value, not an overpay.

Sure the Pens would prefer a C, but if they aren't getting Brass, I could easily see them offering their first for Grabs. They want to win 3 in a row. I could see the Bruins offering a good prospect or two that the Rangers may be interested in.

BTW, that report of the Rangers asking for a 2nd for Grabs does not ring true.

1. Too early.

2. Why would the Rangers say that or leak that?

3. When more than 2 teams are calling, why would good mgmt limit the return by announcing a lower than expected value during an auction? Too soon for that, too.

4. After getting a 3rd plus a flyer on a kid for Holden, does a 2nd for Grabs sound right?

Essentially, I believe there is enough value and enough interest (demand) in Grabs that a late 1st seems like fair value, not an overpay.

Sure the Pens would prefer a C, but if they aren't getting Brass, I could easily see them offering their first for Grabs. They want to win 3 in a row. I could see the Bruins offering a good prospect or two that the Rangers may be interested in.

The reported ask was a 2nd and a prospect, which is directly in line with the idea that the Rangers are looking for NHL-ready prospects right now. And it's unlikely that the Rangers are the ones who leaked it. It was probably another GM or whoever that said that's the Rangers' asking price.

Pitt only makes sense for Grabner if they get another center so he can bolster the third line, unless they think he's going to play with Crosby, and I kind of doubt the Bruins would make two separate trades with the Rangers, especially since they have a strong top-9. It's unlikely that they'd be willing to give up much for what would effectively amount to an upgrade to their fourth line.

There are a lot of teams where Grabner makes sense, but the cost-benefit for Pitt and Boston isn't there.

The reported ask was a 2nd and a prospect, which is directly in line with the idea that the Rangers are looking for NHL-ready prospects right now. And it's unlikely that the Rangers are the ones who leaked it. It was probably another GM or whoever that said that's the Rangers' asking price.

Pitt only makes sense for Grabner if they get another center so he can bolster the third line, unless they think he's going to play with Crosby, and I kind of doubt the Bruins would make two separate trades with the Rangers, especially since they have a strong top-9. It's unlikely that they'd be willing to give up much for what would effectively amount to an upgrade to their fourth line.

There are a lot of teams where Grabner makes sense, but the cost-benefit for Pitt and Boston isn't there.

The Bruins experience a gross drop off after their 9 forwards. They could use a 10th in a big way, plus 1 injury and he really becomes valuable. Especially a defensive scorer, pker and vet, given all the kids in the lineup. I would not be surprised if they offered at least one of their many B++ prospects for Grabs already.

Pitt, unlike Toronto, also has some balls and it seems like the kind of deal they'd do. Yes they need a Bonino, and if they get Brass they're done. But if not, he really fits their system and know what he can do.

Tampa could use him the most. They need a defensive forward and PKer like him. Not of a fan of their bottom 6, more than half are too young or not good enough.

Also the Jets are interested. The Caps should be, but have not heard anything on them.

The report of the ask for grabner came from Bob McKenzie, there isn’t a more reputable person out there. Toronto may have reservations with grabner because he was awful when he played there. That cannot help how they value him. A second and a good prospect is a hell of a return for a rental in grabner. Nothing bad about that. Depending on the prospect that sounds better than a late first.

I don’t like Sprong. I know he may be highly touted at least in a thin Pitt system, he’s the kind of guy to me at least that has bust all over him. Every time Pitt needs a forward he is passed up for unheralded no names. Granted those guys always seem to perform but why is he always passed by if he’s the best closest nhl prospect. It doesn’t make sense unless they just don’t believe in him and they think calling him up would hurt his trade value when he shows his warts at the nhl level.

I don’t like Sprong. I know he may be highly touted at least in a thin Pitt system, he’s the kind of guy to me at least that has bust all over him. Every time Pitt needs a forward he is passed up for unheralded no names. Granted those guys always seem to perform but why is he always passed by if he’s the best closest nhl prospect. It doesn’t make sense unless they just don’t believe in him and they think calling him up would hurt his trade value when he shows his warts at the nhl level.

He's 20. They couldn't bring him up in the past because he was playing in juniors. He's getting passed up for guys who fit a 4th-line role. If a top-9 goes down, Sprong is the guy - which is exactly what happened when Rust got hurt at the beginning of January. Not calling him up is b/c they believe in his ceiling, not because they don't. Right now, he's a PPG player in the AHL - slightly ahead of Lias and Chytil.

There's almost no chance we get him for Grabner anyways, so the point is moot.

Grabner is like an IQ test for GMs and scouts.

Good way of putting it. Shouldn't our GM have a high enough IQ to resign him? Can we have one 31 year old skater next year? And forget about resigning him if he's rented out. It has happened, but rarely.

They have 275 centers. Why do they need more centers?

Whenever that was originally pulled from, discussed that they might be looking to make a move for a C with term... for next season.

The last part has been lost through the communication relay.

Yes. Makes him something of a consolation prize. Maybe. Depending on how serious the Sens are about forcibly including Bobby Ryan's garbage contract in any trades.

The asking price for Karlsson is absurd. That seems like a deal that would take a long time for both sides to agree on. I have a hard time seeing it happen.

McD does in effect become a consolation prize but if Karlsson gets moved for 4-5 pieces than that means Mac unquestionably gets moved for 3-4. I think it actually helps the Rangers.

In the sense that it might increase the yield, yes, but they'll still be playing second fiddle to most of the same teams.

Toronto, it seems, is back on the map here. I still think they're an ideal landing spot. Liljegren, Andreas Johnsson (23), Leivo (24), and a conditional 2018 first (if Leafs win the Cup, otherwise becomes a 2019 first).

Caps just traded a 5th for Jerebak.

And didnt they just get Kempny?

Probably dont want another lefty, :(

Who and who?

Jesus Gorton.. "ABS" Always Be Selling. Teams ate looking elsewhere for shit players like that and you're sitting on 3-4-5 guys that could seriously put teams over the top, Jerebak? Fuckin WHOOOOO?

Yes. Makes him something of a consolation prize. Maybe. Depending on how serious the Sens are about forcibly including Bobby Ryan's garbage contract in any trades.

Adding Ryan is counter productive. They'd have to add a 1st + or take a shit return.

Adding Ryan is counter productive. They'd have to add a 1st + or take a shit return.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Teams definitely want Karlsson, and the same clubs that might want McDonagh would take Karlsson over him (I think). But forcing Ryan's garbage contract into the equation severely limits their field.

I think it actually helps us, when teams see what Ottawa wants for Karlsson they will turn to us for McD. I mean Maclean & Kypreos we?re going at it this morning. Kypreos was trying to say that 4 pieces not including Sergachev & Point plus 2 1st Rd picks would get it done. McacLean was like what are you stupid, do you think Ottawa is stupid enough to make the deal for two bottom 5 picks and 4 questionable middle 6 players?Howden, Raddychuk, Koekkoek, Katchouk please, none of these guys are sure things. This is the best d-man in the league. I think he said any deal starts with at least 1 of Point and/or Sergachev. Plus if he gets signed to a long term contract there should be more compensation.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

In the sense that it might increase the yield, yes, but they'll still be playing second fiddle to most of the same teams.

Toronto, it seems, is back on the map here. I still think they're an ideal landing spot. Liljegren, Andreas Johnsson (23), Leivo (24), and a conditional 2018 first (if Leafs win the Cup, otherwise becomes a 2019 first).

This is just not enough, IMO. Two guys who can't crack their lineup and a bottom 5 in the 1st round?

If they're not giving up Nylander (which they're not) I want Liljegren and Dermott. If those two aren't involved, I move on.

The report of the ask for grabner came from Bob McKenzie, there isn’t a more reputable person out there. Toronto may have reservations with grabner because he was awful when he played there. That cannot help how they value him. A second and a good prospect is a hell of a return for a rental in grabner.

My cut on Toronto is not about Grabner, he is a better fit elsewhere, but McD. Shanny has done a great job to this point, but it is time they make the move with greatest impact. Bring in a 2 way proven #1 Dman. Babcock and others all admit they need a top pair Dman, yet they still wait. As if they lack the self confidence to think it could be their time.

They are healthy and playing well. They are ready to start going for it. How about a serious offer of Lilegren, Dermott and their 1st. I'd make that trade and Toronto gets to keep Marner and take a run at it.

OTOH, Tampa already has Hedman (Stralman and Sergachev) and are still looking to add Karlsson, McD or OEL. If they execute, they'll look to spank Toronto in the playoffs.

Back to Grabner. A #2 and a prospect, really all depends on the prospect. I'd rather a prospect that is the equivalent of a #1 pick. At that point, they keep their pick. Or just get a #1 pick and keep it simple. Pens would rather trade their 1 then Sprong, Nashville would send their pick instead of Tolvanen or Fabbro, as well. Winnipeg the same.

This is just not enough, IMO. Two guys who can't crack their lineup and a bottom 5 in the 1st round?

If they're not giving up Nylander (which they're not) I want Liljegren and Dermott. If those two aren't involved, I move on.

Yeah, missed this post, but Dermott and Liljegren plus the #1 would excite me. The look of our blueline would change dramatically. Tampa has the ammo too. So might the Bruins. These make the most sense, just coincidence they are in the same division. :D

Archived